Is VSG the best option?

msleesa
on 5/31/11 11:21 pm
 I'm going to see a surgeon in two weeks just to get some information, but i went on the hospital website and it says VSG are only done on patients that are high risk and usually have a bmi over 60. My bmi is 44.2. I'm a bit hesitant with RNY because I didn't want to rearrange my intestines. I was set on VSG because I am not changing my digestive system but simply making my stomach smaller. Any Advice? Thanks in advance
VeraG
on 5/31/11 11:45 pm - Bonner Springs, KS
I started at a BMI of 42.  And I absolutely believe VSG is the best option.  I didn't want any rearranging either as well as some other RNY side effects.  Do your research, but I love my sleeve and wouldn't change a thing.

Living until I die!

dec721
on 6/1/11 12:09 am, edited 6/1/11 12:09 am - Decatur, GA
VSG on 08/07/08 with
That information is old.  VSG used to be only the first part of a two-part surgery to get super morbidly obese people to a low enough weight that it was safe to do a by-pass or a duodenal switch.  They found that patients often did well enough with the VSG that they didn't need the second procedure, and the VSG became a stand-alone option.

Your BMI sounds just fine for the sleeve; we have folks here who have started at much higher and considerably lower and have done just fine.  It think mine was somewhere in the 50ish range.

Yes, continue your research and read here every day, and you will make the best decision for yourself.  Best wishes on your journey :-)
--Dorothy

Highest weight: 292   Pre-op weight: 265   Goal met: 150   Six years out: 185 and trying to lose again!

Sandy S.
on 6/1/11 12:12 am
I really can't answer for you.  I have a lot more to loose than you(290), so the sleeve is the best option for me.  I will tell you about my sister in law; she was less than 100 lbs overweight but just could not loose it, so she had the lap band in Mexico and lost the weight but about a year in her band slipped and she had complications and had to have it removed.( Just a possible occurrence- no fault of the care)   She gained the weight back and desperately wants to have the sleeve.  Her insurance won't pay for any WLS so she can't afford another self pay procedure right now, but she has encouraged me and here I am about to be sleeved in 2 weeks.  Good luck with your search.  There lots of books and articles on WSL and one by Dr. Alvarez (forgive the Spelling)  The Gastric Sleeve is just bout the sleeve.. I found education and talking to people on this forum to be the most help.  I don't mean to slam the band, but ail I know first hand is my sister in laws story.  Good luck! You will make the right choice for you. 

"Step by step the longest march can be won,"  Sweet Honey and the Rock- Peace, San  HW 463 Surgery: 6/13/11; SW 413      
dragon1
on 6/1/11 12:37 am - NY
I had a starting BMI of about 40; I didn't want to wait 5 or 10 years and have another 100 lbs to lose (which I believe would have slowly happened).  I'm glad I did it, and I think this is a lifetime solution for me; 
VSG on May 9, 2011.  HW: 217.  SW: 206.  CW: 144 as of 12/22/11.
(deactivated member)
on 6/1/11 1:05 am
My BMI was 37 and I love my VSG.  Got to goal in 6.5 months, take a look at my pix's on my profile, this surgery changed my life.  Good luck with your decision.
Carmelita
on 6/1/11 1:19 am - Four Corners, NM
Actually it depends on YOUR policy...they can have as many contingents as they want i.e. medically supervised diets, pre-op testing, exclusion to VSG period, etc.

But NIH TRUMPS this major contingent...
Over 40 BMI  no comorbidities
35-39.9 BMI  1 major comorbid or 2 lesser

ALL insurance companies MUST abide by NIH...
IF yer insurance has a WLS policy w/o exclusion to VSG that is.

Ya just gotta fight it (appeal/peer to peer/IMR) a bit more.

You NEED to post here...yer policy BMI contingent VER BATIM!  Not the way YOU interpret it.  If ya want ACCURATE responses to yer ?  Inc. NAME of yer insurance and the state...also include an ONLINE link to its bariatric policy would HELP get a varied ..but even MORE accurate response!
msleesa
on 6/3/11 5:05 am
Thanks everyone! I can't wait for my sleeve. 
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views