I give up!!!! Salt is my enemy

LunaLovegood
on 6/5/11 12:30 pm, edited 6/5/11 12:34 pm - WA
Why does everything that is sleeve friendly (that I enjoy) have tons of salt?  Cheese, Beef Jerky, Pickles, the hot sauce I need to make things actually taste good.  It's really ******g me off.  My legs are swelling up like sausages (this never used to happen and I ate tons of salt before), I'm in a huge stall, and despite this, I'm having really bad orthostatic hypotension.  My doctor is getting a call tomorrow and I'm getting some labs drawn.  Thanks for listening to me rant.  

Weight: Highest 317, Consult 311, Surgery 292, Current 210.8
Weight lost by month: 22, 13, 11, 8, 6, 5, 5, 6, 3, 0, next update 12/5.    
MediumSoon
on 6/5/11 12:48 pm - TX
I know this sounds simple and you've probably thought of it already - but have you upped your water intake? By a lot?? I, too, like salty things - can give up sweets no problem... I try to average about 100 oz of water to try to counteract the sodium.

NanaDebby65
on 6/5/11 1:20 pm - North Richland Hills, TX
Luna, I'm with Medium on this!! I too really have to keep a close eye on my sodium intake. It is VERY hard to do!! I drink 100+oz of non-caffinated fluid everyday. It really seems to help alot, my weight doesnt fluctuate as much. If you have a really high sodium day, you need even more, like 120 oz. If I dont keep this up then I have this crazy swelling in my left foot, ankle & leg. My PCP put me on a diuretic several months ago but I get VERY dehydrated when taking the, to the point of getting very dizzy and feeling like I'm going to pass out. Be very careful if they put you on one. Would love to say it gets better but I dont know that it will. I've been fighting this issue since about May of last year. Hang in there!

Hugs!!
Debby
HW: 228/GW: 140/CW: 134    
cabcab
on 6/5/11 4:13 pm
VSG on 01/06/11 with
I was going to suggest more water - but the previous posters beat me to it.  I hope it gets better soon!
    HW: 335.  SW: 318.  CW: 161.0.  Height 5'8.  Age 43.

thisbe777
on 6/5/11 4:19 pm
i HEAR you!!   you could stock trout in my ankles!!! 

i am working on getting rid of this excess fluid....  cutting sodium, adding a diuretic, upping water intake....

i really, really, really need to get rid of this damn water!  my college commencement is next saturday and i have some really cute shoes i want to wear, but my ankles look like deformed bratwurst!!!

jeris

To live would be an awfully big adventure -- Peter Pan

MILLERSDAUGHTER
on 6/6/11 1:13 am - Lewisport, KY
VSG on 04/07/11 with
Try this trick I used when pregnant.   I was pre-eclamptic and had to really watch my sodium because my BP was sky high on two meds and I was told that I could go into seizures at any time.

First thing in the morning, drink 1 cup of warm water (not hot).  Put in 1 tablespoon of real lemon juice.  Be sure it is not the Lemon substitute (RealLemon brand).  You can buy 100% lemon juice in the regrigerated section of the grocery.  Also make sure it is unsweetened.  I always used  the juice from a lemon then used the rest of the lemon to but in my water jug for the day.

Lemon is a natural diuretic but not strong enough to put you in dehydrated mode.  If you do the warm water with lemon in the morning then add a little lemon to your water or decaf tea, it will help.  It used to make me pee like a fountain.
     Never, never, never give up!
...though she be but little, she is FIERCE...
A Midsummer Night's Dream
sublimate
on 6/6/11 5:04 am - San Jose, CA
First you probably want to increase your potassium intake. So like the previous poster said, add lemon juice to your water and also add some avocados to your diet. Second try making my beef jerky recipe which is low sodium.

Swiss cheese is a lot lower in sodium as is ricotta and fresh mozzarella.. try sticking to these cheeses (low fat versions). Hope that helps..

Start weight: 388, Current Weight: 185, Goal Weight: 180, Weight Lost: 203 lbs
Certified Nutritionist VSG FAQsublimate: To elevate or uplift.
3/2012 Plastics: LBL, 3 Hernias Fixed, BL/BA, Rhinoplasty & Septum Fix. 6/2013 Plastics: Arm and thigh lift

Birdie55
on 6/6/11 5:09 am
I'm pretty sensitive to sodium too. Thanks for the suggestions, Sublimate. I've eliminated many foods that are high in sodium and am always looking for things to add back in.

One thing I've noticed is that once you get used to eating low sodium foods, some like some cheeses, chips and Chinese foods taste really salty. I've just eliminated them from my diet since I do not want to regain once I get to goal.

Ht 5' 4  SW 181  GW 120 - 125  Age 61  CW 130

Edit   Delete          

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 276 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views