Pre-op Diet- can I do this?

Could_It_Be
on 6/8/11 9:53 am
First an apology to all those people who posted similar issues with the pre-op diet. When I read them I thought, come on people it's just 2 weeks.

Um this is kicking my ass! I'm doing a low cal, high protein, v low carb diet with 3 shakes a day to supplement. I am not hungry.

The HEAD HUNGER!

I was doing ok today until I came across protein bars, a little debbie and a bag pf pretzels in my desk drawer. Thankfully it was time to leave work cause I came home and bawled my eyes out to my husband.

I had no idea how bad the 'head hunger' would be.

I am so scared that it's going to be my downfall. Not pre-op but after surgery.

So what say you wise ones, how do I get past the head hunger, the pain of throwing away food that I want to eat.

Please tell me it gets better!
:(
dec721
on 6/8/11 10:05 am - Decatur, GA
VSG on 08/07/08 with
Don't think about it other than to say good riddance to that crap food that got us so fat in the first place.  Chuck it in the trash without letting that garbage and the cravings it causes rent any more space in your brain.  It was bad enough to waste money on it in the first place, so you don't need to compound that with making your body a garbage can to boot :-)  (I'm saying this to you, because it is the very words I say to myself when I buy garbage and then try to convince myself not to eat it, ha ha )

As for the head hunger during the pre-op phase -- two things:
1)  Think of it as a vacation from the battle with food.  You know: I shouldn't eat this; I *should* eat that!  Just eat exactly what your surgeon said to eat, and don't allow yourself to consider anything else.  No choices!
2)  Drink water like a fish.  As you wash all that built up garbage out of your system, the cravings will diminish.  I'm convinced that head hunger is as much physical craving for garbage food as anything else.

Anyway, I hope you don't read any harshness in my above suggestions, because I don't mean it that way at all.  You CAN do this, and it will be over before you know it.  Your new life will have begun, and it will be SOOOO much easier ... as long as you stay away from the junk carbs and sugar and drink water like that fish I mentioned before :-)

Best wishes on your journey!
--Dorothy

Highest weight: 292   Pre-op weight: 265   Goal met: 150   Six years out: 185 and trying to lose again!

Could_It_Be
on 6/8/11 10:32 am
Thanks Dorothy!

LittleMissSunshine
on 6/8/11 3:03 pm

Agreed that once the carbs are out of your system, it gets easier... the first few days are the worst of it.  You'll see; this time next week you'll be in the swing of things and it won't be as bad.

You can do this!

Blog | Join me on HealthyWage | Friend me on MyFitnessPal

MrsClaus09
on 6/8/11 9:27 pm
It gets better, I promise!  During my preop phase, I just kept reminding myself that I was doing everything I was doing so that I could assure I would be in the BEST health possible going into my surgery.  Just the thought of surgery makes me nervous - knowing that I had done all I could to be in the best shape really helped to put my mind at ease.

Once your post-op, you'll likely not have such strong feelings for food.  Well, maybe or maybe not...I sure didn't. 

One day at a time....things will start to look up soon!
My journey:   http://abowlfullofjelly.blogspot.com/ w/ March 2011 Sleevers List
"Sleeve Santa Sleeve!"

HW: 309 ~ PreOpW: 306 ~ SW: 293 ~ CW: 184  
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 78 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 291 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 343 views