if you could do it over again

mcrmsi77
on 6/13/11 8:05 am - IN
so i posted this same question in the rny forum ... so i figured i would ask the sleevers too!!! I have been hearing a lot of rny people say that if they could do it over again they would have choose the sleeve. so.... if you could do it over again would you have had the rny and if so why?

Crimson
on 6/13/11 8:10 am - MD
 I'm only 7 weeks out, but if I had to do it all over again, I'd do the sleeve again

HW: 271 lbs.     SW: 255 lbs.     GW: 150 lbs.    
Brenda L.
on 6/13/11 8:16 am - Raleigh, NC
Sleeved 2/3/2011 and would do it again. It is the tool that I desperately needed to lose weight.
  Brendini                                                              
walmartian
on 6/13/11 8:25 am
If I had to do it over, I'd still choosethe sleeve. I'm VERY pleased with my progress and have had no side issues from the surgery!

(deactivated member)
on 6/13/11 8:32 am
Without a doubt, I would have the sleeve done again.  This has been the best health related decision of my life.
slandreth
on 6/13/11 8:45 am
VSG on 01/07/10 with
 Ditto all of the above...I wouldn't change a thing!!

mcrmsi77
on 6/13/11 8:50 am - IN
on the rny forum a lot of them are saying they would have went with the sleeve but also saying that you dont lose as much weight as the rny??? but so far no going backs for sleeving!!!

(deactivated member)
on 6/13/11 9:14 am, edited 6/13/11 9:16 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
Yea, that's really not true that we do not lose as much as the Roux-en-Y. Maybe ? ? we lose slower than they do at *first* because we do not malabsorb - but we what we DO eat, we own from the beginning of our time being sleeved, we do not malabsorb for 2 years and then start reabsorbing calories while still not absorbing nutrients, so, maybe? ? at first we do not lose as fast, although I would say - if you look at folks around here, we have all sorts of timelines for loss, so I would say, Roux-en-Y, sleeve, whatevs, how fast you lose depends a lot on *you* and your compliance to the nutritional program given. 

I do not care for the fuzzy malabsorption math that stops at a random time frame, and if I have been steady at 1200 calories for a year and a half, now I am gaining on it. (not saying that's anybody, just random numbers) - no thanks.   Or if I did care for fuzzy malabsorption math, I WOULD DEFINITELY go with the DS, most assuredly. 

Some folks need/want malabsorption and that's cool, but as far as losing, keeping it off - all of that has a lot to do with the person and their compliance to the way their body stays lean best. The DS, as one of the DSers said, is the most forgiving in terms of folks who needed a brain surgeon and got a bariatric surgeon.  :}  Not meaning they are all crazy, but that folks who have the need to eat and cannot be satisfied being a some is enough person may well be better suited for the DS - but you sure as **** have to be even more on top of your game with your labs and your vites than we or even the Roux-en-Y folks are, it seems.  With great power comes great responsibility :} 

Edit to add, most of the folks who would choose the DS (but not the Roux-en-Y) are not on this board, they are on the DS board.  I think the folks who went from sleeve to Roux-en-Y did it because there were medical reasons that their pylorus had to be removed, not because that was their choice. 

Good luck in your search and your decision making!
(deactivated member)
on 6/13/11 8:51 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
No way Jose, (if that's your real name :}).

I would not change a thing, not my surgery, not my surgeon, not the way I did my preop/post op/losing phase, not the way I do maintenance.

Now, I have issues with protein and have to still, at 2 years out, drink 3 or 4 shakes a day to have "normal" protein levels, and I did not lose my hunger, but none of those things are even almost deal breakers. 

Not in the least.
mylastchance
on 6/13/11 9:03 am
 I am not selling anyone on the sleeve because this has to be a choice made after researching all the options and educating yourself about them and then deciding what is best for YOU.  I know many people and have 2 friends who have the rny and swear by it and have done very well and they follow their plan and haven't had any problems.  I have a friend who has had the band for almost 2 years with no problems and she thinks that was best for her. I know there are a lot of people who have problems with the band and I would advise to not pick it but some do well with it.   So it is a decision for each and everyone of us to really think about and make.
I would if needed .... do this surgery again in a heartbeat.  It has been the best thing for me,  I have not had any problems,  I eat regular food in moderation,  I don't dump,  I can take medications if needed,  my recovery was easy and fairly fast,  no pain to speak of and I have gone from a tight 22 to a 4 and absolutely love it. 
So to answer your question??????      Yep this is it!!!!     For Me!!!   

I hope this helps...........just do your research and then make the best decision for you and you will do great as long as you follow the plan your Dr. sets.

Good luck to you.

"I COULD HAVE MISSED THE PAIN BUT I'D OF HAD TO MISS THE DANCE"
             I have missed too many dances in my life now it is time to start living
5' 1"

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views