Gallbladder removal & lactose intolerance???

jennyfur76
on 6/17/11 9:26 am - OH
VSG on 06/21/11 with
I read a few posts of someone who had their GB removed with their VSG and is now lactose intolerant??? Is this a frequent occurance? I LOVE cheese & dairy products, so I'm hoping not!!

BTW...from my prior post, I did get a call from my doctor's office. The doc will talk to me morning of surgery, but he said that if he has no complications with my VSG, then he will go ahead and take out my GB. Otherwise, if he runs into any problems, he will leave it in there. I guess that's good for now.

Thanks everyone!! I only have....
3 days, 15 hours, 18 minutes & 50 seconds until VSG-Day!!!

wildfan
on 6/17/11 9:46 am
I had my gb out when I had VSG. I can eat cheese, dairy, milk, etc. I have to admit I have to drink milk slowly, and I don't know if that is from the restriction or slight lactose intolerance now. I used to drink a LOT of milk before VSG with no problems. Now even one sip just gives me a very slight funny feeling in my stomach for about 30 seconds after drinking. But then it goes away. But I have no problems with any other dairy. And I still drink 20-30 oz of milk a day as part of my liquid/protein intake
Heleena33
on 6/17/11 11:10 am - Custer, WA
Wow! I sure would rather have been having vsg than having GB out on it's own surgery! I had mine out when my first baby was 4 mos old. Huge scar on the side of my stomach about 12" long! So, it is better to have it out at the same time!! Then you never have to worry about it! Also, recovery will still be about the same!
I'll bet you are excited to get going!!!
Good Luck to ya!!
Helen
Crabadams72
on 6/17/11 12:16 pm - Silver Spring, MD
Maybe you read my post earlier?

I found out that it is not the dairy but it is the fat content. Anything high fat makes me sprint for the can right after I eat it.

I did some online research and found that it may take a few months for me to get back to normal. An probiotic yogurt helps as well.

This reaction does not strike everyone. I'm not happy because I love my cheese and dairy.

They do the removal through the tiny incisions just like a normal vsg patient.
VSG 6/10/2011  Dr. Ann Lidor BMore MD 5'5 HW-247 SW-233 GW-145 CW-120

http://www.youtube.com/user/72Crabadams   Me rambling about my journey : )

USAF Wife
on 6/17/11 9:36 pm
I had my GB removed at 8 months post-VSG. I did not develop lactose intolerance because of GB removal, but I did have to start eating low fat or fat free. It wasn't just milk fat that gave me issues, it was all fat. And, that was hell. I also could not tolerate red pasta sauce or ketchup of any type. I was already below goal weight.

I did develop mild lactose intolerance after VSG, but was able to eat some cheeses and yogurts. It resolved after a few months.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

jennyfur76
on 6/17/11 11:18 pm - OH
VSG on 06/21/11 with
Thanks everyone for your responses!! I'm glad it sounds like it's not an "across the board" side effect. I already do low fat or reduced fat on most things I eat, so if that's the case, it may not be too bad. I just love me some cheese & milk!!! LOL

Hislady
on 6/18/11 9:25 am - Vancouver, WA
Even if you do end up lactose intolerant it's OK cause you can just use lactaid tablets and they give you the enzyme to digest the lactose. I never leave home without them!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 86 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 298 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 346 views