My NUT is really encouraging RNY?!?!

ready2Bhealthy2
on 6/20/11 7:23 am
My NUT didn't say that I needed to make a decision today, but she was really batting for RNY.  Her biggest reason was the lack of long term studies of the sleeve.  RNY has the long term data whereas NSG doesn't.  She made me think a lot today and in the end I'm confused.  Please offer some/any advice.  Thanks.
HW286/SW269/1mo-20lbs/2 mo-9lbs/3 mo-10lbs

1st Goal - Loss of 50lbs
Hollyhock
on 6/20/11 7:31 am - VA
I would note that your nut is not a doctor. I fail to see why her opinion should have any bearing on a MEDICAL decision, and honestly I don't think she's within her professional bounds to opine on this. She shouldn't be "battling" for anything. Further, there is increasing evidence about the sleeve and its longer term success. I question her expertise and judgement all the more since she's not up on the latest research and has the hubris to try to tell you what to do. If I was a surgeon and she worked for me, I'd show her the door.
5'7"  VSG on 6/6/2011  HW 224, SW 214, CW 144  
lucy2e
on 6/20/11 7:48 am - Laurel, MD
If you are a sweets eater/drinker who is unable to cut those from your diet - then maybe she'd be right.  But if you have been able to switch to 10 cal or less beverages and reduce your carbs, then I think you should go with your initial decision.  If you still are pulled, call your surgeon - he's the expert (not the nut.)

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

LittleMissSunshine
on 6/20/11 8:15 am
Yeah, the RNY has more long-term data... some of it showing that people regain and are hungry all the time due to hypoglycemia

To be clear, the sleeve is not a new proceedure, people have had partial gastrectomies since the 1800s... what's new is using it as a stand-alone weight loss surgery (as opposed to the first stage of a duodenal switch).  What data does exist shows that it's effective. 

My appeal letter has a ton of research tid bits on the different WLS methods, as well as links to the full reports.  Take a look, see if that helps put your mind at ease.

Blog | Join me on HealthyWage | Friend me on MyFitnessPal

The_Chungs
on 6/20/11 9:00 am
LMS...just thought I'd let you know that your letter played a big part in helping me to decide to have a VSG.  Thank you for putting the effort to compile the information and compose it, for posting it on your page, and referring to it in posts.  I read it a few weeks ago, but couldn't remember where I'd read it.  I'm so glad I wandered into this thread.

Thanks!!!
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." -  Confucius  
Height:  5'10  HW:  400  SW:  374.6  GW:  160    

LittleMissSunshine
on 6/20/11 11:29 am
YAY! Glad to hear you found it helpful... only after putting the appeal letter togehter (due credit to Sleeve Genie and WVLoser as they wrote most of it) did it dawn on me that it was a pretty good summary of the research out there.  That's what I was after when I first started considering it, so it only made sense to point to it whenever I run across someone else trying to learn as much as they can. 

Thanks for letting me know

ready2Bhealthy2
on 6/20/11 10:51 am
If you don't mind my asking, what insurance did/do you have?  You mentioned FEP BCBS a few times in your letter (I have them), so I am just curious.

1st Goal - Loss of 50lbs
LittleMissSunshine
on 6/20/11 11:18 am
i have Premera Blue Cross through Microsoft, the references to Federal BCBS were already in the appeal letter I based mine on (either Sleeve Genie's or WVLoser's)... I mentioned it because it stood to reason that if the Fed BCBS recognized it, all BCBS groups should.  Have you submitted your info yet?

ready2Bhealthy2
on 6/20/11 1:45 pm
OK.  Thanks.  No, I have not submitted yet.  According to the fine print I have to do a 3 month nutritional program.  I am one month in.  As soon as the three months are up I will be submitting that day!!  Thanks again.

1st Goal - Loss of 50lbs
disabled_nurse
on 6/20/11 8:29 am - Bogalusa, LA
I LOVE my sleeve, my sister had RNY done 8 yrs ago, has regained 80% of her weight back, and has to have blood transfusions every few months, has to have iron infusions every month................I have known people that had RNY and there bodies just stopped absorbing protein and they died, I was there nurse. That is why I choose the sleeve.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views