Question about Ghrelin aka hunger hormone

CCinIndiana
on 6/21/11 3:22 am - IN
Ok I am scheduled for the sleeve July 13th.  I have been doing lots of research about the surgery and one of the things I keep reading is that the Ghrelin is is removed with the part of the stomach that is removed.  So my understanding is that the Ghrelin is the hunger hormone, so once it is removed you won't have hunger?  Can someone explain this in layman terms. 

Because I never eat because I am hungry, I think I have had two hunger pains the last ten years.  I eat cause the thought of food will pop in my brain, oh that looks good, or I will hear a commercial and think oh that sounds good.  I wake up in the morning and my first thought is what to eat, not cause I am hungry, but because I am a food addict or something.  So does this compulsion part get better with the surgery or are people talking about that actual physical hunger growl that some people get when their tummys are empty.  Thanks for any help!  Cathi
a.me
on 6/21/11 3:28 am - KS
you will still get head hunger...you might consider counseling to help with that aspect.  as far as physical hunger, you don 't really feel that so much.  it'll be a while tho before anything sounds good really.  i am 6mos out and have struggled with head hunger.  i eat when i am bored or lonely.  i am off work for the summer as i work for a school district and so it has been really hard.  counseling can help with the emotional issues,  ask your surgeon to recommend someone as u want someone that deals with eating disorders.  that is my best advice to you.  good luck!  (once u can eat regular foods again, your tummy will make all sorts of sounds and rumbles so know that is normal)
a.me                                
Carly ~
on 6/21/11 3:32 am
 You have it right in your first paragraph.  Most people who have the sleeve do not get the hunger feeling because Ghrelin is removed.

The other hunger you're talking about is head hunger.  When your head thinks you want something, even if your body isn't sending those signals.

That is something you have to work on yourself by choosing something that is friendly to your surgery.  Choose protein, eat healthy, drink your water -- it will subside.

I don't feel hungry very often either -- until this pre-op liquid diet!   Head hunger is something I thought would be the hardest part for me as well.

Listening to people tell their stories, once you go through with something so life changing, and so invasive, you don't want to eat just because you can.

I eat for comfort, and I had doubts whether or not this would work for me.  I never really overeat, just eat all the wrong things.    This far along in my journey, I know now that I'll make better choices because of all the sacrafices I've had to make to get this far.  It's a higher power working with you, and you'll feel the shift too when it happens for you!

Good luck with your journey.

Julie6
on 6/21/11 3:42 am
The is the one big benefit to having he sleeve versus having the plication.  With the plication the ghrelinr is not  removed.  That is my big problem.  I have head hunger and real hunger.  Wishing I had the regular sleeve instead. 
Julie Sadek    
joie_de_sleeve
on 6/21/11 3:42 am - IN
Hi,

I'm having surgery on July 13th too (also in Indiana).

I was just discussing this issue with my counselor this morning. Like you, I am rarely really hungry.  I tend to use food as a coping mechanism. Her and I are working on developing other coping mechanisms to replace food. I agree with the person *****commended maybe working with a counselor, short-term, as you transition through the surgery.
Elaine2
on 6/21/11 3:44 am - Atlanta, GA
Cathi
DITTO!  DITTO!..DITTO!
I was in the same boat----I don't think I've ever been hungry in my  life. Never ate for that reason and still don't. I ate huge volumes because it tasted good, available, lonely, bored, etc.
Lots of reasons but not hunger. I also really never feel full. Missed that gene also.

I'll be truthful...the desire to eat has not gone away for me. I have worked with a therapist, found "busy work" for the boring times and just made up my mind that my life had to change or I would die. My therapist made a good point...Are you going to change your life? or are you going to continue eating the same stuff, just less of it?  I decided to change

The restriction is my best friend. I know that I should only X  amount and don't pu**** any further.  I plan every bite that goes in my mouth and I've had to be super vigilant. Still have a ways to go and could discuss this allot further...but it takes allot of focus.

Good luck.

CJCC55
on 6/21/11 3:44 am - Cleveland, TN
 I find that the head hunger is there, but that I don't find food as comforting as it once was.

I have the occasional day when I eat well, and more than I think I should, but these are few and far between.  
Food just is not as appealing as before.  
That is part of the miracle of the sleeve, for me.  I have prayed for something that would change my attitude toward food, and now I have found it.  
I still love food, and love to eat, but after a few bites, I am pretty well done.  
I love my sleeve.

Wishing you all the best, Carol       
count your blessings!!!!   At goal weight.   I am 5 ft 3.    

wert
on 6/21/11 3:47 am - MN

Leptin and ghrelin work in a kind of "checks and balances" system to control feelings of hunger and fullness. Ghrelin makes you feel hungry. Leptin makes you feel satiated. 

With VSG, most of the portion of the stomach that produces ghrelin is removed. No ghrelin, no hunger. As your stomach empties into the small intestine, leptin kicks in and you get feedback from ingested food reaching the distal small bowel. This is known as the “ileal brake". You stop eating because you’re satiated.

There's a lot of information about ghrelin and leptin. Scientists are just now begining to understand what each does and how these peptides work together. Some think that some day WLS will be unnecessary. You'll get a prescription for ghrelin, leptin, or something else to curb eating the way surgery now does.

An interesting side note - ghrelin production seems to increase with the band.

Google it. If you like wonky stuff, it's interesting reading. 

5'5"  Age 63  HW 212  SW 200 Currently 8 pounds below goal
Jacque 

(deactivated member)
on 6/21/11 4:16 am - CA
I totally believe this! I was ALWAYS hungry when I had the band--the worst part was being so hungry and then throwing up the 5 bites you had...and then being hungry again. Vicious cycle.  That's probably why I turned back to slider foods--stuff like salad and chicken wouldn't stay put.
Lynn5707
on 6/21/11 4:18 am - IN
Cathi, I'm having surgery 7/6, and I have wondered that too. I have wondered how it works and how do I combat head hunger.

Thx for asking the question and for everyone's answer.

Also, are you in Indy?

Lynn
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 266 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 327 views