sleep apnea. what does the Dr look for?

barber64
on 6/23/11 9:20 am - Temecula, CA
VSG on 06/06/12
Can anyone give me advise on sleep apnea. what does the Drs look for and what kind of test do they give you?
ms_dar
on 6/23/11 9:50 am - Canada
They do ma sleep study test. Hook you up to monitors while you sleep to see how many times you stop breathing. It is painless and takes 6-8 hours.

angieb77
on 6/23/11 10:06 am - Blaine, MN
If your doctor thinks you may have sleep apnea he/she may order a sleep study.  If you have a sleep study done you will have to stay overnight at a sleep study center.  They will hook you up to wires and probes that monitor your brain waves and breathing, etc.  If you stop breathing during the study while you are asleep they may have you put on a cpap machine.

HW: 375 SW: 325 CW: 263 GW: 160
Pre-Surgery WL: 50lbs

cindibarre
on 6/23/11 10:38 am - Danforth, ME
All of the above.  They're going to look at how many times you stop breathing or your blood oxygen level goes below a certain level.  Sometimes if your apnea is really bad they will already start you on a CPAP machine and fit you on the same night.  If not you might have to go for a second test so they can determine the amount of air flow you need to overcome the apnea.

I've been using a CPAP machine for 8 years.  Quality of sleep and life improves.

Cindi

HW - 351 SW 0 342  SurgW - 298!  1st. Seminar July 2010 Surgery  August 1, 2011  
wert
on 6/23/11 10:43 am - MN
Not only do I have sleep apnea, I also have restless legs. Both conditions disturb my sleep many times each night. The strange thing is, I didn't know about either until I had my sleep study last summer. I thought it was a waste of time and money. My surgeon ordered the study and the sleep center conducted it. For me it was a pleasant experience. The sleep center was like a very nice hotel room. Very comfortable. Not sterile in any way. The techs were fun and professional. I'd go back in a heartbeat  if I needed to. I use my CPAP every night and take meds for the restless legs. I love my CPAP. Love it!

5'5"  Age 63  HW 212  SW 200 Currently 8 pounds below goal
Jacque 

Sandy S.
on 6/23/11 10:49 am
Dido everyone else.  Also, I love my CPAP. I did not know, I was not sleeping deeply until my CPAP.  And it is one of Comorbitities insurance companies use to approve insurance coverage, so I am told.  Best of luck!

"Step by step the longest march can be won,"  Sweet Honey and the Rock- Peace, San  HW 463 Surgery: 6/13/11; SW 413      
Kristy R.
on 6/24/11 2:11 am - Santa Clara, CA
 If you sleep with someone, they may ask you to ask them what they observe when you sleep.  Or you may already know some of the symptoms.  For instance, my husbands told me I snore very loudly and I stop breathing and gasp for air frequently.  I was also very, very tired every day - I never, ever woke up refreshed from sleep.  I never felt like I had enough sleep.  I had frequent migraines.  Based on these observations my Dr. ordered a sleep test.  I was sent to a sleep center overnight.  You will be in a small, plain hotel-ish type room.  They hook you up to leads and they monitor you sleeping for the night.  Based on the results, they will  have another sleep study where they hook you up to a CPAP/BIPAP and determine your settings and your results with the CPAP.  You will then get a prescription for your medical equipment and go to a pulmonary supply store and get fitted for your mask and get your machine, filters and hoses.  The mask is usually the biggest pain, it can take a while to get adjusted and find one that works.  Some people have no problem - but a lot of people take a while before they can sleep with the mask/equipment.  
~Kristy~ VSG 3/29/11 ~ 15 pounds lost pre-op, SW - 240/GW - 150

barber64
on 6/24/11 3:53 am - Temecula, CA
VSG on 06/06/12
I notice if I sleep on my back I grasp for air like I’m choking. So I have to lie on my stomach.   
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 267 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 328 views