how much fluids can you drink at a time?

kellypolllitt
on 6/24/11 9:17 pm
I am 10 days out and still on liquids.  I am able to drink at a pretty good rate now and am wondering if that is a problem.  I had10 ounces of chicken broth yesterday in about 45 minutes.  I also can drink a protein drink made with 8 ounces of water in about the same time.  Is that too fast, should I not be able to take in that much that quickly or is it ok?

Kelly
metime
on 6/24/11 10:06 pm - chesapeake, VA
I never really had a problem getting my liquids in either!!  I never really timed it but I probably was able to drink that in less time..I think it depends on how fast your sleeve is healing.

kellypolllitt
on 6/24/11 10:21 pm
I am healing well so that make sense. I was concerned with stretching the sleeve or something by taking in too much too fast. But maybe that does not apply as much to fluids as solid foods!
Susan0714
on 6/24/11 10:26 pm - Kenner, LA
At first I had a hard time getting fluids in.. I am 9 days out today..

But now I have found that I am getting more liquids in and at a shorter time then before..

I was able to drink a 11oz protein drink (already made) in about 10 to 15 minutes last night..

Yesterday was the first day I was able to do that.. And Thursday was the first time, it did not take me ALL day to drink a regular size bottle of water..

Susan
LilySlim Fitness goals tickers

Caligirlgina
on 6/25/11 12:01 am - CA
I am right there with you guys! I had surgery the 17th and I thought I was drinking too much also. Glad to hear I am normal for once!
Gina
  1Mo(July 17, 2011) 265.1 (-28.7) Whoo hooo2Mo (Aug 17, 2011) 258.7 (-6.4) 3mo-253.5(-5.2) Finally broke a 5 week stall

emelar
on 6/25/11 12:04 am - TX
It just means that your stomach wasn't too swollen after surgery.  I drank carefully post-op, but could drink pretty continuously.  Be thankful that you're able to get your fluids and protein in without a problem - it's a good thing!
Monica W.
on 6/25/11 12:19 am - TX
Im hoping we are all truely different because  I have never had a hard time drinking as fast or as much as I wanted. I personally have never been a peron that drinks alot of anything.

OldMedic
on 6/25/11 2:33 am - Alvaton, KY
It does not matter at all how much anyone else can drink.

They do not have your body.  They do not have your stomach.  You can drink at your pace.  If you really have a question about how normal this is, why not ask your doctor or your nutritionist?

You are WELL within the normal range, so why are you getting yourself all worried over nothing?

A former Army Medic (1959-1969), Registered Nurse (1969-2000), College Instructor (1984-1989) and a retired Rehabilitation Counselor.  I am also a dual citizen of the USA and Canada.

High Weight 412 lbs.                    Date of Surgery 360.5                                 Present  170 lbs   

kellypolllitt
on 6/25/11 7:11 am
I see my surgeon on Monday so I will confirm then. No one answers on the weekend so I came here I read in my packet for the first 10 days no more than 7-8 ounces per hour and I can do more than that so I was concerned. Glad not to have to worry now though. Thanks all.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 97 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 321 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 365 views