Update on my Bathroom (TMI) post this morning after ER trip

Ms. Poker Face
on 6/29/11 6:17 am
My diarrhea and abdominal cramps are much more than liquids in, liquids out.  I have a very serious infection called c. diff.   It occurs in rare cases due to the antibiotics in surgery wiping out all the good bacteria in your body and then the c. diff goes crazy.  I have been going #2 every twenty minutes today/yesterday and it's gotten a little bloody.  I have also developed a rash on my side.

I don't mean to scare anyone (I'm scared myself) but want prayers where I can get them.  I am getting antibiotics within the hour and if I can't stay hydrated on my own (very hard even for someone with this bug who didn't just have surgery) then I will be admitted to the hospital.  I don't want that.

The moral of the story is that I just didn't feel right and kept pestering my doctor until it came to this.  Listen to your gut (no pun intended) and get the care you need regardless of whether or not it's sleeve related.

Thanks for listening.  I just want to feel better.

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

Could_It_Be
on 6/29/11 6:22 am
Oh no! I'm sending thoughts and prayers your way!
ashwarren
on 6/29/11 6:27 am
I've had a bout with this before surgery and can agree with you that it blows...literally!  Keep in mind that once you have this, it is very easy to get again later.  Stay hydrated and get better soon!
  HW: 240 SW: 227       
Caligirlgina
on 6/29/11 6:31 am - CA
Oh no sorry to hear that. My sister in law had C diff when she delivered her baby from all the antibotics. She was hospitalized but she is doing fabulous. Prayers your way!
Gina
  1Mo(July 17, 2011) 265.1 (-28.7) Whoo hooo2Mo (Aug 17, 2011) 258.7 (-6.4) 3mo-253.5(-5.2) Finally broke a 5 week stall

angieb77
on 6/29/11 6:38 am - Blaine, MN
I hope you feel better soon.  I'm glad you advocated for yourself and persisted with getting medical treatment.

HW: 375 SW: 325 CW: 263 GW: 160
Pre-Surgery WL: 50lbs

mythreechildren2001
on 6/29/11 6:43 am
Praying for you!  Best wishes!!
anewdayforme
on 6/29/11 6:59 am
Thanks for your post.  You never know who you're helping on down the line.  Sending you healing vibes and wishing you a speedy recovery!  (((hugs)))
Katie S.
on 6/29/11 8:50 am
VSG on 02/23/11 with
Thank God you pestered your doctor and they found this in time. This is an extremely dangerous infection.  My otherwise healthy grandmother died from C-Diff last fall.  We think she got it from my grandfather's nursing home. She had been having diarrhea for about a month, and her Dr. kept giving her different antibiotics, but none of them ever helped. Eventually she ended up getting septic, then slipped into a coma.  I'm not trying to scare you, either, but I just implore you to stay on top of this. PLEASE take care of yourself, and if your doctor doesn't help you beat this soon, find a new doctor. I will pray for a speedy return to good health for you!  Wishing you all the best. 

HW: 230  SW: 212  CW: 145  LW: 138

califsleevin
on 6/29/11 9:46 am - CA
I was hoping that it wasn't, but it is increasingly common - we discuss it often in my wife's DS support group (now my VSG support group). Once past the antibiotics, probiotics seem to have some benefit in helping to keep it at bay (it is apparently one of those buggers in our gut that can flourish after the other bacteria have been knocked off by antibiotics - the probiotics can help get your gut repopulated with the good bugs that will keep the c.diff from going crazy.)

I just read recently that c.diff is now the most common hospital aquired infection, surpassing MRSA (so at least you're not alone.)  We're all pulling for you.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

gearle
on 6/29/11 11:26 am - IN
I'm glad you caught it and are taking care of yourself. We are all thinking of you. Get well soon!

Most Active