Can I do it post op if I can't do it pre op??

ready2Bhealthy2
on 7/1/11 7:02 am
I am a disciplined person when I want to be.  I can stay away from the foods I so love, but when the scale isn't moving I throw my hands up and wonder why I'm depriving myself.  So, I am wondering does this get any easier after surgery?  Does the size of my stomach help with not feeling full?  What about the week pre menstral...do you still have crazy cravings ladies?  Is there anyone who struggled pre op but was able to do it post op? 

Also, does anyone know if it's bad to lose weight pre op?  As far as insurance...
skinimini
on 7/1/11 7:08 am
I believe that if you stay above the 40 BMI you are fine to lose weight pre-op.
As far as foods, I am only 3 weeks out and I know it changes some when you get further out, but I have no appetite! I have to remind myself to eat! And then I have heard of people that never lose their appetite.
You just have to remember that you went through all this trouble to get the surgery, and what the outcome is going to be, and stay on track!!

You'll do great!
Sheri

I am 5' 7" tall and 35-years-old   **Sheri**
My ticker shows who I did this for:  Azure and Malachi

July 10th, 2011:  Down 26 lbs. and 15 1/4 ".

Aug. 10th, 2011: Down 14 lbs. and 13 3/4 ".

Sept. 10th, 2011:

Oct. 10th, 2011:

roundater
on 7/1/11 7:14 am - Lincoln, NE
Salads and shakes helped me pre-op. Post op it is a lot easier to stay with a regimen because of the smaller stomach size. GL and let me know if I can help.
Rich Sonderegger

Shari H.
on 7/1/11 7:31 am - MI
 Yes, I find it quite a bit easier to comply post-op due to the stomach restriction.  Unlike a lot of others, though, I do feel hungry.  I certainly don't have to remind myself to eat.  Sometimes I actually feel hungry immediately after eating, but I do believe this is my stomach playing tricks on me.  I read somewhere that, for some people, the hunger thing doesn't go away right away post-op.  I'm just over 3 weeks out.

Shari

LilySlim Weight loss tickers
FULL DISCLOSURE:  includes 31 lbs lost pre-op 
(deactivated member)
on 7/1/11 8:03 am
Are you on an acid blocker and is it strong enough?  Some of the time the acid mimics hunger, especially in the beginning.  I would also make sure that you are drinking like a fish.  But still, unfortunately, for some of us the hunger is not resolved. 
kaydemo
on 7/1/11 8:31 am - TX
What a great question!!  I keep wondering the same thing myself!  I'm sure it's not unusual for people to have these kinds of thoughts prior to surgery, but I've been really thinking a lot about it lately.  I have great discipline in most areas of my life, but can't seem to get a grip on this whole eating thing.  If I can't do it now, how can I be sure I'll be able to do it then?  At this point, I feel like it's my only real chance, though, so I'm going for it!  I hope we're BOTH a lot more successful than we could have ever dreamed on this side of surgery! :)
LonnieThatGirl D.
on 7/1/11 1:57 pm
On July 1, 2011 at 3:31 PM Pacific Time, kaydemo wrote:
What a great question!!  I keep wondering the same thing myself!  I'm sure it's not unusual for people to have these kinds of thoughts prior to surgery, but I've been really thinking a lot about it lately.  I have great discipline in most areas of my life, but can't seem to get a grip on this whole eating thing.  If I can't do it now, how can I be sure I'll be able to do it then?  At this point, I feel like it's my only real chance, though, so I'm going for it!  I hope we're BOTH a lot more successful than we could have ever dreamed on this side of surgery! :)
 I am the same as you and have had the same concerns... Good luck on your surgery!
justwillow
on 7/1/11 9:50 am - OR
My doc said and it makes a ton of sense to that before surgery I was dieting with my head and now I am dieting with my body.  You can't eat alot !!! Aint that grand

LonnieThatGirl D.
on 7/1/11 2:02 pm
About the insurance. I believe you have to be above a certain BMI to have surgery, but my PCP told me that if I didn't lose at all, or if it appeared through documentation that I wasn't trying, then they could deny me.  (I had a 6 month eval process that had to be documented). He actually had a guy denied by insurance b/c the guy didn't lose any weight and had said he wasn't really trying.  I guess the insurance likes to see an effort documented in the patient's approval request. HTH :-)
(deactivated member)
on 7/2/11 11:03 am
IDK bout the lady stuff, but overall yeah, it is easier post op to avoid bad stuff, the smell of fried food and sweets turned my stomach for the first four or five months.

Lately I have found I can eat anything without repurcussions, unless I over eat, and it's a little harder to resist the cookies and chips and what not.  I'm not always perfect, but I do much better than I have before and have maintained within a five pound window for a few months since I stopped losing.  It's a life long thing, but I feel good about the coming months and years.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 272 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views