Is this a good food choice ?

TrinaBeeIsMe
on 7/2/11 7:13 am - NV
VSG on 03/14/12
I bought some seafood salad and Atlantic salmon salad for the 4Th of July celebration. I haven't had my surgery yet so everything I eat I'm looking to see if it is something I can incorporate into my food choices after my surgery. So I was looking at the label for the seafood salad: serving size is 4oz. Calories 190 Carbs 15g Protein is 5g Sodium is 630mg. The Salmon salad is serving size 4oz Calories 260 Carb 5gm Protein 14g Sodium 320mg. Both of these salads are mayonnaise based and very mushy like except for a few chunks of crab meat that could be broken down with a fork. So my question is is this a good food choice at mushy/ blended stage ? Also the serving size is 4oz do you even eat 4oz at the mushy stage? Need advice OH family!!
TrinaBee                        
George B.
on 7/2/11 7:27 am - Miami, FL
The Salmon salad sounds better because it only has 5 grams of carbs. Post-op most plans limit carbs to less than 40 grams per day.

In the pureed stage your capacity for dense protein will likely be 2-4 oz. 

The Seafood salad probably has imitation crab meat which is high in carbs. You could make both these salads at home and end up with fewer carbs and sodium.

roundater
on 7/2/11 7:31 am - Lincoln, NE
Agree with George. Salmon sounds better. Really have to watch the carb intake both pre and post op.
Rich Sonderegger

MediumSoon
on 7/2/11 10:35 am - TX
For me - not enough protein for the calories. I try to get 1 gram of protein for each 10 calories. If something has 200 calories - it should have close to 20g protein. That's just me.

rdd9348
on 7/2/11 11:03 am, edited 7/2/11 11:04 am - OR
I look for the same thing that Medium does - no more than ten calories per gram of protein.  I can't say that every single thing I eat conforms to that standard, but most of it does. 
Highest-285, Start WLS Program-267, Surgery-245, Current-196, Goal-148 
                                   Short Term Goal - Under 185 by 10/15/11           
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 101 views