Fat or extra skin?

Nita G.
on 7/7/11 12:44 am
 At nine months out, I've lost a lot of weight, and a look pretty thin everywhere but around my abdomen. I don't know if this is fat (it looks like fat!) and I can still lose it, or if it's a really thick layer of skin that's never going to go away without surgery. I'm 5'6", wiegh 168, and still have 14 pounds to go before I hit a 'normal' BMI. So how can I tell when it's time to start maintainence? Would a tummy tuck take care of this last bit of bulge? Help!
Nita

48 pounds lost prior to surgery

Jennchap
on 7/7/11 12:51 am - CA
 Hi there!
Im 5'4 (and a half) and am at 161. I have the same problem. I am happy with every other part of my body but have this soft bully that hangs and I hate. I went to see the plastic surgeon and he said it was not going to go anywhere. It was extra skin and there are some fat deposits (something like that) which make it look even worse. My deal is I don't want breast implants… so I don't want to lose any more weight, seeing as its not coming off my belly the only place I want it to and seems to be just breast fat Im losing at this point. So I have slowed my loss way down and am doing a tummy tuck on Monday. If you send me your email, I send you a pic of my belly and you can see if yours looks like what I am dealing with and if maybe its a similar situation.
Jen
HW 275   SW 229   CW 136 

DrHollywood
on 7/7/11 2:24 am - Harbor City, CA
Send me a pic too JENN.  I am going through the same thing.

✿ L♦O♦V♦E ✿ & ✿ P♦E♦A♦C♦E ✿ღ ✿ & F♦R♦I♦E♦N♦D♦S ✿ ღ
                         "Keeping The Faith!"   "Slim by Summer!"
                                    HW: 250 - SW: 241  - CW: 154.7GW: 140  

1 month: 22 pounds (2162 months: 12.2 pounds (203.8)  3 months: 10.6  (193.2)
 4 months: 9.7  lbs  (183.5)  5 Months:   6  pounds  (177.5 ) 
6 Months: 12 lbs ( 165.5)
 7 Months 7.1 lbs (158.4) 8 Months +1.6 pounds(159.8) 9 Months 2.7 pounds (157.1)
10 Months 8.1 lbs (149) 11 months +2 pounds ( 151) 1 YEAR!!!  2.6 pounds (148.4)

Hit "One-derland April 9th, 2011   (199.7)

"Half-Way Goal" April 25th, 2011 (194.8)

"Happyland 80`s" May 14, 2011  (189.6)

"Groovyland 70`s"  June 20th 2011  (179.9)

" HippyDippyland 60's"  July 16th  (169.8)

" CQQL-land 50`s"  August 25th ( 159.8)

"Normal BMI"   24.8  October 21st, 2011 (154.5) I am 5`6

"AWESOME-land 40's" Dec 1st 2011  (149)

"Century Club 100 Pounds"  Dec 1st 2011  (149)

' ONE YEAR SURGIVERSARY!!!"

Two Year Surgiversary!!!"

Heleena33
on 7/7/11 3:14 pm - Custer, WA
So did you do exercises while you were losing?
Does he take off all of the pouch?
I hope you share the outcome with us too!
Thank you so much !  I am proud of your loss!
Is a TT very expensive?
I go for vsg on Monday July 11th. So am very excited and plan to do
many special exercises to help with the sagging skin!
Good luck in your tt!!

Helen

JULY 11, 2011 MY New Live Began    HW 295   SURG WT 266   GOAL 145
My ticker represents lbs lost from time of surgery .....after liquid IV's were gone!      

zzroged
on 7/7/11 12:53 am - United Arab Emirates
I just had a TT - I went from 299lbs to 160 lbs and worked out a lot during my weight loss journey so have really toned muscles. The surgeon only removed 2lb of skin from my tummy.

My body fat is 22% and the body composition test I had said that I have a high muscle / lean mass ratio with only 4lbs of excess fat on my body.

Probably best to get the opinion of a plastic surgeon about whether you have fat or skin and the best time to consider plastic surgery.

Good Luck
 New Group : UAE_Dubai_Forum for people living in the UAE/Middle East

TT  & Breast Lift Apr 2011 - Inner Thigh Lift & Arm Lift - Jun 2011
      First - 10k Jan 2011 : First - 1/2 Marathon Feb 2011

Nita G.
on 7/7/11 3:59 am
 I'm not really interested in plastics, I'm too poor! But I do think I'll follow you're example, and start exercising a little more seriously. 
thanks for the motivation.
Nita

jengo1971
on 7/7/11 1:29 am
Hi Nita.  Way to go on your success thus far!  From my understanding the best way to determine lean muscle mass (as well as bone density) is a DEXA scan.  I plan on having one done in October for my 40th to determine how much more wt I still need to lose (if any).   Good luck.  Hugs.........Jennifer

hi there.  pleased to meet you.  ~jennifer                        
Nita G.
on 7/7/11 3:46 am
 Hmmm, I'll have to look into this.
Thanks!
Nita

loverofcats
on 7/7/11 1:55 am
Some of what you have is still belly fat, since you are not in a normal BMI range and have more weight to lose. However, loose skin doesn't go away, with any amount of exercise. I am well into a normal BMI for my height (4'11") and I have loose belly skin and my belly looks deflated. Only surgery will take it away. I lost more belly fat, with more weight loss. Sometimes, that is the last area to go down, as well as thighs. At least, in my case that has been true.

Are you exercising and doing weight training? Doing those things have helped, and the problem would have been worse, if I hadn't have been doing the toning work.

If you want to reach a normal BMI, that might be the time to start maintenance. It depends on how low you want to get. A tummy tuck would definitely help, but I think most plastic surgeons recommend being at your goal weight or at least 5-10 lbs within reach of it. You don't want to have the surgery, lose more weight, and end up with saggy skin again.

Gail
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Nita G.
on 7/7/11 3:50 am
 Yeah, I pretty much figured it couldn't ALL be skin, and I'd have to keep working at losing the fat. But I'm perfectly happy with how everything else looks, and don't really want to lose anywhere else. I guess I'll just have to take my chances, and hope I don't lose anymore T&A.
Thanks for your input.
Nita

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 65 views