I just signed up to do a 5k in October. I'm insane.

sleevegirl
on 7/5/11 2:44 pm - Austin, TX
I just signed up to walk a 5k with my friends in October here in Austin (See Jane Run). I hope I should be close to 100 pounds lost at that point so it will be easier, but I'll still be heavy. Just have to work up my stamina. I can do about 20 minutes or so pretty easily, but I think that's like a mile and a 5k is 3.1 miles.

WHAT am I getting myself into?

I can totally do this. My personal trainer said I should absolutely be able to do it. 

WooHoo... proud of myself and a little bit worried... not sure what about, it's just me and my friends.They give you four hours, I should be able to do it in an hour or hour and a half, right? LOL. Okay... I can TRY to!

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

jfab1978
on 7/5/11 3:00 pm - CA
You can totally do it!!! I was going to sign up for my local See Jane Run too!!

vjb1952
on 7/5/11 3:41 pm - Littlerock, CA
VSG on 03/28/11 with
 A toast to you for stepping outside your confort zone!  WTG... If you work up to it, I am sure you will achieve completing that 5k walk...in less than 4 hours, I bet!!!  Best wishes along the journey,  Viv 

vjb1952

MTH
on 7/5/11 7:59 pm
Go for it!!!  I walked my 1st 5k on Memorial Day, it was great.  Now I do a 5k once a week.  I wanted to start to jog it, but my ortho said no.  It takes me about an hour, and I love it.  My goal is to do a 10k by fall.  My walking partner, (my husband) says I am crazy.  Good luck with your goal!
DrHollywood
on 7/5/11 8:09 pm - Harbor City, CA
yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay u can do it!!

✿ L♦O♦V♦E ✿ & ✿ P♦E♦A♦C♦E ✿ღ ✿ & F♦R♦I♦E♦N♦D♦S ✿ ღ
                         "Keeping The Faith!"   "Slim by Summer!"
                                    HW: 250 - SW: 241  - CW: 154.7GW: 140  

1 month: 22 pounds (2162 months: 12.2 pounds (203.8)  3 months: 10.6  (193.2)
 4 months: 9.7  lbs  (183.5)  5 Months:   6  pounds  (177.5 ) 
6 Months: 12 lbs ( 165.5)
 7 Months 7.1 lbs (158.4) 8 Months +1.6 pounds(159.8) 9 Months 2.7 pounds (157.1)
10 Months 8.1 lbs (149) 11 months +2 pounds ( 151) 1 YEAR!!!  2.6 pounds (148.4)

Hit "One-derland April 9th, 2011   (199.7)

"Half-Way Goal" April 25th, 2011 (194.8)

"Happyland 80`s" May 14, 2011  (189.6)

"Groovyland 70`s"  June 20th 2011  (179.9)

" HippyDippyland 60's"  July 16th  (169.8)

" CQQL-land 50`s"  August 25th ( 159.8)

"Normal BMI"   24.8  October 21st, 2011 (154.5) I am 5`6

"AWESOME-land 40's" Dec 1st 2011  (149)

"Century Club 100 Pounds"  Dec 1st 2011  (149)

' ONE YEAR SURGIVERSARY!!!"

Two Year Surgiversary!!!"

roundater
on 7/5/11 8:31 pm - Lincoln, NE
Yaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy!!! Way to go and move outside the box. You will do fine.
Rich Sonderegger

DuanesGirl
on 7/5/11 9:19 pm - KY
You've just taken the first step to a new habit-thank goodness it's a healthy one!  LOL  I have every faith in the world that you'll not only do the 5k, you will do it faster than you think.  Keep working with your trainer-I'm sure they have ideas that will help you train without injury.  I also think it's great   you have goals beyond this first 5k.  That will help you stay motivated and every time you meet one of the goals, you will set new ones.  I ran my first 5k in March, ran my first 10k April 30th, and I'm currently training for a 1/2 marathon in October.  The fact that I'm running completely blows my mind-trust me, if I can do these races, you can do these races.  Good luck and don't forget to let us know when you successfully complete this race. 

(deactivated member)
on 7/5/11 9:33 pm
 You have plenty of time :).  Look at a few posts I've made lately about a Couch Potato to 5K program I'm working through.

It's a 9 week (3 days a week) program that takes you through intervals of running and jogging and gets progressively harder (more jogging, less walking, longer jog times) as you progress through the different week workouts.

If you have a iPhone/Driod/Smartphone of any type there are free or very cheap apps that you can use to give you an automated trainer to switch intervals and record your speeds, if you don't there are plenty of resources that give you the run/jog intervals and you can get through it with a stopwatch.  

I'm only on week two (will do second workout of week 2 today) but recommend the program/app to anyone who wants to get their feet wet in the running world.  

Congrats, you are braver than me :).  Nowhere near ready to commit to any kind of event, tho it would be good motivation.  And yeah, I think even if you walked the whole thing 4 hours is enough...nothing like taking a dry run to see how long it takes you right now and working towards better completion times :).
Susan0714
on 7/5/11 10:05 pm - Kenner, LA
You can do it sleevegirl..

I can't wait to sign up for a 5K race.. For me here in LA. it is the heat that is a killer.. There is one I am hoping to look into in September..

Good Luck to you. You will do GREAT!

Susan
LilySlim Fitness goals tickers

sleevegirl
on 7/5/11 10:24 pm - Austin, TX
Thanks everyone! I mapped out 3 miles through my neighborhood, but did it going up up and down streets attached to the main road. I figure I'll do the first loop and just add a loop here and there until I'm all the way up. Glad I work at home. Going to have to do it in the mornings, it's SO hot here in ATX, even at 10:30 at night! Crazy!

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 179 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 451 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 475 views