Psych evaluation

barber64
on 7/7/11 6:17 am - Temecula, CA
VSG on 06/06/12
can you tell me on the Psych evaluation how many times you have to be seen and what does it entail of?
Jessica Houston
on 7/7/11 6:23 am - Wichita, KS
I went in for my psych eval, I met with the psychologist for an hour or so and she asked me about my history with weight, my family history and what not.  Then I came back a few weeks later and took an IQ test and a personality test. Took me about two hours to take the test.  That's pretty much it!  Easy Breezy! 
~Jessi
HW: 245lbs SW:232lbs; CW: 206.2lbs;  GW:125lbs  Height 5ft 2in 

joie_de_sleeve
on 7/7/11 6:28 am - IN
I only met with the psychologist once. Thankfully being in the throes of seasonal depression didn't disqualify me. I was afraid it would.  It probably helped that I told her I'd already been seeing a counselor since last July.

She just asked about my history, my support system, my work & daily stressors and what activities I plan to use to replace eating.
Sandy S.
on 7/7/11 6:29 am
It should be a few standard tests.  One of mine was testing for eating disorders.  Guess what at 463 pounds the test said I did not have an eating disorder.  Go figure?  You don't want to say you are a smoker or a heavy drinker.  Just answer honestly and you should be fine

"Step by step the longest march can be won,"  Sweet Honey and the Rock- Peace, San  HW 463 Surgery: 6/13/11; SW 413      
GaryO
on 7/7/11 7:08 am
1 time for 20 minutes with a psychologist, boy did I fool her!  Cracked a couple jokes and off I went.  It may have helped that I am anRN and worked 8 years in Psych.

HockeyChuck28
on 7/7/11 7:27 am - Vancouver, WA
Hi,
I had 2 visits, 1st was to take an inventory called the MMPI which as 500 or so questions and a food / eating inventory. The 2nd visit was to go over the inventories and talk. I enjoyed the visit. Hope this helps.

Chuck

colelea613
on 7/7/11 7:40 am - LA
Never met with anyone...I took a test that cost $50. That was back in 2005 for my lap-band didn't have to do that this time. Going thru a revision.
percheron
on 7/7/11 8:26 am
My first visit was mainly about past history and family. Also asked for me to cut down to one diet pepsi a day.  Some medical info because I have several probelms and that was about it for the first visit.  The second visit was just today and was a little more detail of maybe things from my past that I have been able to "let go" and if I have any fears of those thing coming back up or becoming issues.  How would I handle them, what resource do I have.  I got more out of today than I expected and appreciated the time.  No more visits but did tell me that if I start feeling like I need to talk as the journey progresses, to make sure and set up an appointment, not to put it off until problems have already started.  Good Luck.  :)

roundater
on 7/7/11 12:27 pm - Lincoln, NE
Mine was done by a psychiatrist who I had been seeing for depression. Took family history, my background history, my reasons for wanting the surgery, understandings of the consequences of the surgery, summation of previous weight loss efforts, current disorders and treatment for what I had been seeing him for, comorbidites and their relationship to my mental state and opinion that I clearly understood the surgery and what I was getting into. The challenge was getting the correct questions and format to satisfy the surgeon and insurance company. The psychiatrist was so frustrated I thought HE was going to need therapy when this was done.
Rich Sonderegger

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 70 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 261 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 325 views