feeling hungry 2 weeks post op

becca2297
on 7/12/11 7:10 am
Hello, I am 2 weeks post-op and I will be on the liquid diet for another 2 weeks.  I am feeling so hungry.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  I can get in about 8-10 Oz in 15 minutes.  Does this seem normal?  I read of all these people who cannot get in enough..... I am so worried that this may not work for me.....
emelar
on 7/12/11 7:14 am - TX
You're normal and lucky.  Your stomach didn't swell much so you're able to drink easily.  No running to the ER for an IV of fluids!!!!

Liquid diet sucks, plain and simple.  If you're really going mad, call your doc's office or your dietitian and see if there's something you can add to the menu.
A_NEW_KATIE
on 7/12/11 8:27 am
I had surgery the same day you did!  I felt hungry when I was on liquids too, and was able to drink more then most!  No problems with my protien shakes or water!  I was able to move to pureed foods at 1 week and instantly have felt better.  I was worried because I could drink alot and thought maybe my sleeve wasnt small enough.  Quickly learned when I started eating some "real" food (not sure that pureed tuna is "real" but okay lol)that I can get very little in my tummy.   I have not had much hunger at all since! I little bit of head hunger but nothing like I was feeling before.  It will get better, Im sorry you have to be on liquids so long.  I agree with the other poster, maybe call your nut or your Doc and see if there is anything you can add..   What do they allow on your liquids?
Lynn5707
on 7/12/11 9:10 am - IN
I had surgery last week and should be able to go to pureed on Friday (I see the doctor then). I have been able to get my fluids in and pretty much protein since I cannot stand most of them. It is so funny you posted this, as I have been thinking the same thing. I am dreaming of refried beans and cheese!

I need to call nutritionist to see if I start my vitamins on Thursday, when according to post-op class I should also start pureed, but doctor wanted me to wait for diet change until he sees me Friday am.
CatherineTEACH
on 7/12/11 9:52 am - TX
Hi Becca,
I am one week Post-Op and the liquid diet is so boring and hard!  I don't mind soup, popsicles, jello and crystal light but I want more, i.e. tuna, cheese, etc.  I know it will be soft foods but I just want something different!  My doc is pretty strict.  I am on another week of clear liquids, and 2 weeks of full liquids before I can move on to pureed foods and then soft foods.  I too feel "hungry" even though I don't think my stomach would allow it. 

I know this is a short time but it's still tough!  Hang in there and let's hope it's working for the two of us!
  GW 150# (fingers crossed!)   

"Success comes before work, only in the dictionary." 
  Vince Lombardi, Green Bay Packers Coach    
Debber7714
on 7/12/11 10:02 am
Hi Guys,
I was sleeved on 6-27, and am just over the two week mark. My surgeon told me to go with the mushies when I seen him last Thursday - since then, I don't have the hunger pangs. I am pretty sick of the protein drinks, but find they're easy to take to work - this eating thing is a work in progress, and we have to be patient and listen to our bodies - but we have to give our new tummies time to heal...wait until you talk to your surgeon and see what he says. Then move very slowly...mushies are awesome!

Keep us posted on your progress, ok?

HW=238 CW=194 SW=220 GW=125  Arrived in "One-derland" on 9/1/11! 
                    "What you choose is what you shall have...
                        what you allow is what shall continue."
Could_It_Be
on 7/12/11 10:12 am
I was also on a two week post op liquid diet and was sooooo ready to move on. However, I am having to take it real real slow with the pureeds.

Think of it this way, you will lose pretty well being on liquids for a bit longer than most.

Hang in there

VSG on 6/22/11
becca2297
on 7/12/11 12:35 pm
Thank you everyone who posted.  This helps me feel normal.  I was on clear for one week and on thin liquids for 3 weeks ****il July 24).  I can't even begin to tell you how sick I am of milkshakes.  If it wasn't for the crystal light and the syntrax nectar mixed together, I think I would go crazy trying to get the protein in using just the milkshakes.  I can have thin heart-healthy soup (strained) along with the jello and popcicles....etc...but the soup bumps up my calories...BIG time.  I'm just hungry .  Maybe it's the acid....I've tried prilosec, prevacid, and just bought some zegrid today and will try that tomorrow.  I just cannot believe that I still have 2 weeks of this diet left.  I have been cheating a bit with the unsweetened applesauce that I crush my meds in.....I will usually do more than just a small bite  and I have also tried some gerber baby oatmeal.  When I went to my 1 week post-op they scared me saying that I could bust a staple and then have to get a feeding tube and then not have anything to eat for 6 weeks!!!!
I would call the NUT but I was self-pay and Dr. did not require the NUT.

I'm losing though.  I can't complain about that.  I've lost 32 lbs since June 14th....That is the day I started the liquid diet......lost 12 lbs pre the rest post op
Most Active