Pureed's!

sleeverinKC
on 7/18/11 9:12 am
I'm about a week out post-op!  So far I have been doing good, getting in all of my water and protein, with little to no problem... did have a bit of an issue with a vanilla protein drink this morning, but I am putting that past me and moving forward! 

I can go to pureed's when I feel that I am ready, I get my drain out on Wednesday and plan on talking to my surgeon about it then.  I know that if I don't do well with the pureed I will immediately go back to liquid... however, I'm wondering what people made in the puree stage?  My husband has some crazy ideas(i think he thinks he can puree everything in our fridge) so I figured I would come to the experts! 

Thanks for the help in advance!
My Journey to a HEALTHY Mom, Wife, Sister, Daughter, and Friend!!   

MN_Mama
on 7/18/11 9:51 am, edited 7/17/11 9:53 pm
I pureed everything in the fridge too!
Seriously, I was soooo sick of liquids and protein shakes, everything tasted great!
I have a a dish that I still like, but I don't puree anything anymore....

Brown up some ground turkey with garlic and pepper, I like a pinch of red pepper, but see how it works for you.
Add a little bit of marinara sauce, oregano and basil, heat it through and puree it into a smooth meat sauce.
Puree some low/no fat cottage cheese, put it in a small microwave bowl, pour the hot meat sauce over it, add shredded mozzarella, nuke it to melt the cheese (just 20 seconds or so), sprinkle some parmesean on top and have yourself a pasta-less lasagna dinner.

Make sure you use shredded mozzarella to melt over the top, at least until you get past the soft food stage. If you put a slice on, it gets really stringy and gooey. Very tasty, but hard on the tummy.
Once you get to the soft food stage, add some mushrooms and onions to the meat and saute until soft. They add nice chunks to chew on as well as great flavor.
Now that I can eat anything, I grill a portabello mushroom cap with a little olive oil and pepper, put the cottage cheese on it, top them both with meat sauce and cheese and enjoy the heck out of it. It's hearty and impressive enough for company. Hubby and guests get a big salad and warm bread with theirs.
It's also a nice alternative on pizza night. I get my Italiano fix without all the grease and carbs.

Buon Appetito!

Lynn5707
on 7/18/11 10:18 am - IN
I just went to pureed's last Thursday. It is so much better. I can only have proteins - no veggies or fruits at this point. Tonight I had a grilled cheeseburger that my husband pureed and it was wonderful. It was nice to also have a warm meat type of taste.

MN Mama - your recipe sounds great too! I will try it when I get to soft foods in a little over a week.

Take care! Enjoy!
Lynn

colelea613
on 7/18/11 10:26 am - LA
My doctor's plan says that I cant have ground beef until like week 8 post-op.

You didn't have any problems with it?
    Cole

sleeverinKC
on 7/18/11 10:30 am
Thank you both for your responses!  I am a little weary about doing the whole meat pureed thing, but I'm going to try it!  My hubby had jaw surgery years ago and they pureed everything for him then, so I guess I should trust him a little.  :o) 
My Journey to a HEALTHY Mom, Wife, Sister, Daughter, and Friend!!   

Lynn5707
on 7/18/11 10:56 am - IN
Yes the meat has to be put in a blender, but they said any lean meat was fine as long as we did that.

sandycnv
on 7/18/11 12:31 pm - Clayton, CA

I am so looking forward to food.  My doctor required a 4 week Post-Op liquid diet.  So in addition to the 2 weeks pre-op I am really starting to hate protein shakes.

I will have to remember these pureed recipies when I can finally have food in 2 more weeks.

Best of luck to you. 
Sandy

Laurie M.
on 7/18/11 1:45 pm, edited 7/18/11 1:46 am - KS
You are doing great KC! Your are rocking the sleeve! Keep up the good work and please share your pureed ideas with me when it's my turn my friend!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 275 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views