XPost: VSG vs DS, insurance issues, what would you do?

rtptjd
on 7/21/11 10:07 pm - Atlanta, GA
Whoa!  "Short sighted, simplistic and bogus.."????  Um, think you might want to CHILL a little bit?  People are trying to be helpful on this forum.  No one is purposely passing on incorrect information.  Your characterizations ("...you VSG people") are arrogant and uncalled for.  I don't see "M.D." after your name.  So where did you go to medical school?  What are your credentials as a researcher? 

If you want to disagree with someone, fine.  But lose the attitude.  We're all on the same team, aren't we?  Or is it VSGers vs. DSers vs. RNYers???  I sure didn't think so!!!
jimbovsg
on 7/21/11 5:56 pm
    Well i would ask you....what do you mean by...."how my DH likes to eat"  carbs...slider foods....volume...sweets.......fatty foods?    If he is a volume eater....he can do VERY well.(see my ticker !)  If he grazes on slider foods....not sure ANY WLS  Will help with that....as you know you can eat around ANY surgery...even your DS!  (you may have different consequences)  But  results will be the same....slow or no WL...regain etc! 
     But my VSG  has helped control my eating....even slider foods!  If i eat according to plan...like all WLS....I do well (protein first)  I have little room left for slider foods!  If I CHOOSE...to eat slider foods ALL day...I can ....with no ill effects....no vomiting...restriction...dumping....bowel issues etc.  If I did...I would still be well over 500lbs! 
     So how does he eat?  if he eats volumes of pretty dense foods....he can do well.  It even prevents me eating too much rice...pasta...bread....as they expand in my stomach....pretty uncomfortable! (but in moderation....I can enjoy them! and i have no issues with food intolerance's...or side effects)   I am a huge "foodie"...I cook... BBQ....etc....and i still love to eat...and enjoy food....just in smaller portions...( quality...over quantity)
     I am not sure what you mean by "spoiled with my DS" .....high fat?.... volume?......carbs?  I would argue the VSG offers the most permissive eating plan of ALL WLS!  I can eat anything...bacon( a DS staple)   chips...candy ...doughnuts....full fat chesses....bread...popcorn floating in  butter...you name it i can eat it ( with no undesirable consequences)  Now I eat ALL of these ...in moderation....and infrequently....but I can have them....so I feel I'm spoiled with my VSG!   IMO...my VSG is THE  lowest maintenance surgery available!  Not trying to start a "surgery war"  just my opinion...and what i have seen IRL....and on OH.
    So the real question is for your DH....does he think he can do well with restriction only?   If you/he feel he is "settling " for the VSG...maybe he is NOT ready for surgery...."settling"  does not sound like the proper mindset for WLS.   Good luck with your decision!

JIMBO...  350lbs! lost!.....  TRIPLE CENTURY CLUB!!  HELL ...YEAH!  
MY  VSG......KICKS ASS!                                                                                                                                                                                      

I  am   6' 2"    

Jasonm11
on 7/21/11 9:21 pm
I'm four months out from VSG with Dr. Stewart as my surgeon. I have lost almost 100 lbs from my surgery weight and 110 from my one month before surgery. Signifigant weight loss can be achieved with the VSG(look back at Jimbo above for proof of that...he should be the poster boy...he's had amazing success). Dr. Stewart does a tight sleeve that provides great restriction. If your husband is willing to stick to his nutritional needs, much like he would have to with DS, I am positive he will succeed with weight loss and maintaining that weight loss. I was self pay for my VSG and initially wanted the DS but was unable to due to cost. I don't regret that at all. I lead a 'normal' life, much like you do I'm sure with your DS, eat 'anything' I want in moderation, though I'm highly moderating myself until I get to goal. It is difficult for me to compare to the DS because I did so much research and feel that Dr. Stewart was so capable with the DS. But I feel strongly that the VSG is working for me and is a viable solution when the DS isn't an option for any reason. Tell your husband to go ahead with the VSG and he won't regret it.

HW(2-19-11) - 375    SW(3-9-11) - 362.5    CW - 204    GW - 220
Reached 100 pounds lost from highest weight at 3.5 months post-op!!!
Reached 100 pounds lost since surgery weight at 4.75 months post-op!!!
soulsister
on 7/21/11 9:52 pm - NY
What is his bmi? If it is close to 50 can he gain some weight for approval?
Ms Shell
on 7/22/11 12:32 am - Hawthorne, CA
First question since our stomachs ARE the same...how much stretch have you had in your almost 2 years?

If I WAS ok with the ALL aspects of the DS I would have fought TOOTH AND NAIL (where does that term come from) to get it...how many appeals with your insurance have you done?

For me after researching ALL the surgeries the ONLY one I would get is the VSG (love way to many things about it and there are NO negatives in my gastrectomy partial and full research).  Again if I WANTED the DS I would appeal my ASS off to get it!!

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

injeneral
on 7/22/11 2:48 am
Well when you're posting in the VSG forum I doubt anyone here would tell you not to get it.

You might have more luck (as far as objectivity goes) if you post in the general forum.
emelar
on 7/22/11 3:01 am - TX
I'm with Diana on one point - don't get one surgery figuring you can get another one down the line.  Get the one you want to live with right from the get-go and work the heck out of it.  So, if he really wants the DS, either beat on your insurance company or check out surgery in Mexico and see if it can be done there.  Or don't get anything.

I didn't WANT malabsorption for life.  I was a quantity eater.  The sleeve has put a stop to that.  Along the way, I discovered that carbs and sugar are absolute poison to me and I feel 100% better without them.  Except for that personal food restriction, there is no food I can't eat.  I eat full fat.  I eat protein first.  I'm full and satisfied after a small meal for the first time in my life and couldn't be happier about it.

I wish you the best in making a decision.
Poodles
on 7/22/11 12:06 pm - TX
Wow, thanks guys/gals.  I have been researching all night and have been reminded about why I fought so hard for the sleeve in the first place.

My DH is a volume eater.  He likes sweets, but not addicted.  Just found out that he is afraid of the intestinal part anyway, so the sleeve is really going to be the surgery for him.

He thinks he will do better with the after care of the sleeve, since he sees what I have to do with vitamins and labs with my DS and he is just not committed enough to do that. 

Thank you guys for posting your success.  It really helped him to see "guys" results.

I love that Dr. Stewart does all four surgeries.  He says that he does them all because different people can live with different lifestyles after the fact, and he is right.  Even when both people live in the same house.

What was right for me is not going to be right for my hubby.   It's his body and his choice.  Thank you so much for your opinions, and now you are stuck with me on the VSG board too... because I am going to have questions for my man!

Thanks again!
 Come to the Dark Side!!!                     
Band to DS revision 11/09/09.
Learn about the Duodenal Switch at dsfacts.com ! Off site comparisons of the 4 WLS 
http://www.thinnertimes.com/weight-loss-surgery/wls-basics/w eight-loss-surgery-comparison.html
http://www.lapsf.com/weight-loss-surgeries.html

Most Active