OMG APPROVED!

chunkymonkey1991
on 7/21/11 6:22 am
I've been waiting sooo long to post this! I've also been so nervous that I'd be denied that I didn't truely daydream as much as I wanted to. I'm so happy right now! I also move up my surgery date a week! :) August 4th!

Btw, I have UHC and approval took 2 days! :)
(deactivated member)
on 7/21/11 6:24 am
VSG on 10/18/12
WOW that is awesome! Congrats! How long have you been in the process for vsg>?
chunkymonkey1991
on 7/21/11 7:49 am
I started looking last year but I was looking at the lapband. I started looking again this year around April.
May 14- meething with primary care doc & letter
May 26- seminar
June 17th - Cardio (stress test which had to be redone), Surgeon consult
June 30- First Nutritionist visit, Hpylori test
July 1- original visit with pulmonary doc
July 7- Breathing test, Psych eval, 2nd nutritionist visit, manditory Support Group meeting, Sleep apnea test (very busy day...)
July 14- Stress test echocardiogram (redo), meeting with obgyn to get a birth control shot (my surgeon won't let you beon the pill for a month before surgery)
July 19- everything sent to insurance!
July 20-follow up with pulmonary doc (to get report)
July 21- sleep apnea test to find pressure for mask for surgery, APPROVAL
then my next appointments are:
july 28- pre op class (to discuss the surgery and food post op)
july 29- blood work done and sign consent forms
aug 4- SURGERY 6AM :)

sorry for such a long answer. btw if you're just getting started, what i did was dedicate a folder and a cheap calendar for all this stuff. the calendar has just appointment dates so i never forgot anything.

Dee60
on 7/21/11 6:48 am
VSG on 02/21/12
Wow.. congratulations! That is great news. I cant wait till I am able to post that too.
This is not to take away from your post all all but I have a few questions for you : I have Medica... united health care too. Can you please tell me what your journey was like, did you have any comorbidities? Did you have to do the 6 months weight management program? How long did your process take? Sorry its a lot of questions but I am so happy for you and would like your words of wisdom.

Congrats again, I pray for a safe  and happy surgery for you! 
chunkymonkey1991
on 7/21/11 7:56 am
I thought the same thing for months when i saw these posts. i have united health care choice plus, through my dad's insurance bc I'm only 20. on the post above i listed every appointment i've had thus far plus future ones.

-i recently found out i have sleep apnea which gives me a comorbidity. i originally thought i had none. my BMI is 40+ so i was all set anyway. otherwise i'm fine (no high blood pressure or anything)
-i luckily did not have to go on a 6 month supervised diet. i tried SO hard to figure out if i would need one bc whenever i called UHC they weren't able to tell me what was required specifically for me. i went on these forums and found that generally people with my specific typle of ins. didn't need it.
-i originally started thinking about WLS a year ago. i went to 2 seminars and 2 consultations (for different surgeons) but i was looking at the lapband. i didn't love it and i'm happy i didn't get it. one of the nurses rudely told me i was wasting my time bc i would never get approved without a BMI of 40+ for over 5 years. so i gave up. I restarted in may of this year and have my surgery planned for aug 4 :) all of my appointment dates are listed above it you're interested

by the way, never plan on doctors remembering to do things.. i was just about done with all of my appointments and i called my surgeons office and she said she had NOTHING for me. i had to call all of my docs except for bloodwork and a nutritionist visit bc that was done in their office. It wasn't too hard in the end but you've got to keep on top of them to make sure they fax the reports. i also kept a folder with everything (including a caldendar) so i looked like a weirdo but i never forgot an appointment and i had all the docs phone numbers if i needed them.

sorry this was so long. hope it helps!!
Dee60
on 7/21/11 12:36 pm
VSG on 02/21/12
Thanks so much for the update. That really helps... I think we have the same insurance and that gives me hope. I have my second appt tomorrow and I hope to bug them all till I get an approval ... hehehe! I aint giving up babes! Thanks again and God bless. I wish you all the best on your surgery.
Nicole S.
on 7/21/11 6:52 am - Vallejo, CA
HUGE congrats to you!!! I will celebrate you as well on my birthday (Aug 5th) 
~Nicole  
Height 5'1 HW- 320 SW-265 CW- 172.2 GW 140                                

Jan G.
on 7/21/11 7:38 am - WI
YEAH YEAH YEAH~!!!!

I can relate and have UHC/UMR so was ready for a denial..as they fussed about paying all THEIR required 6 month appts.

And like you, they returned the notice of approval over 3-4 days. BUT how were you told? Did they call you? Did your surgeon's office call? NO ONE called me, I just happened to be talking to ins about paying for denied visits and asked if they could check. THAT's how I found out.

BEST to you, mine is now Aug 5th...right behind you.

Whoo hooo!!!!!!!!! (dancing in a circle)

Jan
chunkymonkey1991
on 7/21/11 7:57 am
no they said they won't call either me or the surgeons office. so, as annoyingly persistant as i am, i called once yesterday (which was only 1 day after them receiving it) and twice today (i somehow got approved between 11 and 4 today).  so yes, i definitely called them :)
(deactivated member)
on 7/21/11 3:15 pm
I got my approval today. The nurse that schedules surgery is on vacation so I will have to wait another week for a date. Congrats
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 266 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 327 views