when does gassyness go?

cinaflower
on 7/29/11 2:08 pm - LA

I had my sleeve done yesterday and am home already. It's really been okay- no major problems or pains. But now that I'm home and not on round the clock meds and trying to get the liquids in the gas is really not fun. I pretty much have to belch like crazy after every sip I take. For those already past this- about how long did it take to not be like that? How long did it take for you to feel comfortable swallowing pills? (I'm scared to try and have been crushing them) How long till you ate a bite of something without worrying how you'd feel after?

Cinamon    
ruggie
on 7/29/11 3:27 pm - Sacramento, CA
First, relax.

If you are burping after every drink, you may be "gulping" rather than "sipping". You may have to learn to start swallowing without so much air. I had to learn how to sip like that right after my surgery for that very reason.

I was comfortable swallowing pills immediately afterward.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

IrishColleen
on 7/29/11 11:44 pm - Owosso, MI
 I waited about a week and a half before swallowing my vitamin capsules.  In the meantime, they told me to take them apart and dissolve in water.  DISGUSTING!!  I did that once!  Then stopped my vitamins.  I don't recommend that though.  I bought the chewable vit's and they still weren't that great but got me through for a little while.

I was on clear liquids for 2 weeks after, now 4 weeks of mushies (my doc makes his sleeves REAL tight).  I didn't have any problem swallowing anything, ever.  My great blessing!!  

Remember sip, sip, sip.  Not gulp!  And don't work hard at the swallowing which can cause you to swallow more air.  Don't think about it just relax and swallow one small sip at a time until you get used to it.

"For God did not give us a spirit of timidity and fear but a spirit of power and love and self discipline."  2 Tim. 1:7     So with HIS power, love and self-discipline - I WILL DO THIS!
HW:250 SW: 232 CW: 164  GW: 150 
lmreadynow
on 7/30/11 3:39 am
Congrats on  your sleeve!!! That's so awesome that you're doing so well.  Let the fun begin!!!!!!
Jean B.
on 7/30/11 6:33 am - Los Angeles, CA
I'm 11 days out and had the same gas after every sip as you. I don't recall the exact day it went away but for the past 3 or 4 days I've been able to drink no problem -- plus I've been able to get down a lot more water way easier. So if you can hang on for the first 8 days, you'll be noticably more comfortable!
wert
on 7/30/11 6:48 am - MN
Check with your doc about the pills. I wasn't supposed to start vites for a few weeks - can't remember now. But my RX meds had to be chopped up. I have a pill splitter and cut them to bits because I was afraid they'd injure my new teeny tiny tummy. It wouldn't have, but I was afraid to do it anyway. After about a week or two I was swallowing everything - not vites - whole. It was scary at first, tho. 

5'5"  Age 63  HW 212  SW 200 Currently 8 pounds below goal
Jacque 

cinaflower
on 7/30/11 7:38 am - LA
Thanks for the replies, it's really a matter of waiting I guess. I take gas-x and I walk around and stretch and belch and that feels better- although not graceful! My doc said we could take our pills but might want to split the bigger ones and that's what I did. It wasn't bad, didn't feel it at all. I'm glad I sucked it up and tried, yesterday I was drinking chicken broth with crushed hydrocodone- Yum!!!
Cinamon    
Most Active