16 days out, recovery so slow!!!

ThinByThirty
on 8/11/11 12:11 pm, edited 8/11/11 12:20 pm - NY
so i had surgery 7/26 and i am still out of it.  there is one spot on my stomach killing me and that hurts when i walk and sit

i spend most of my days laying around watching TV and i am going out of my mind!!!  school starts in 2 weeks and i am so afraid that I will not be ok.  i keep trying to walk and do small things.

is this normal...i checked in at 10 days but its almost a whole other week and still no progress, my doctor (who is not very helpful) seems unphased...

thanks
cristina

cdepietro
on 8/11/11 12:20 pm
Not sure that is normal. I was sleeved 7/25 and have been having trouble keeping anything down was in the hospital 2 times to be hydrated but I have no pain at all. I havent had any pain since maybe 4 days out.
Ms. Poker Face
on 8/11/11 1:06 pm
I think it's normal to be tired and kinda out of it at 16 days out.  But if you have a spot that is "killing you" then that's reason enough to call your doc in the morning.  While you may have some pain, bad pain seems unusual  when you're more than 2 weeks out.

Sorry it's not easy... I was one of those too... took me longer to feel decent than others and I felt like a freak, but I think it's more the norm.

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

ThinByThirty
on 8/11/11 1:12 pm - NY
i called yesterday and they said it could be normal for up to 8 weeks....they didn't seem to care that i was in pain (although i have had a terrible experience the whole way)

i feel helpless...

Ms. Poker Face
on 8/11/11 1:18 pm
That sucks!!  Eight weeks of a spot that is killing you is not acceptable in my book (not that I'm a doctor).  I think you should keep bugging them about it.  That doesn't sound right.  

I learned through this process that if you don't feel comfortable about how something is progressing, you have to be your own advocate.  Call the doc, call his/her nurse, call the coordinator.  Sure, it might be nothing, but if it IS something, then it's worth ******g people off along the way.  I ended up with an infection but had to call twice before the doc really took me seriously.  Seven weeks later, I'm still struggling with the infection (well, it is a tough one; I'm on the road to recovery).

I say keep calling.  Or, if all else fails, go see your PCP.  I hate that you've had a less than stellar experience!!  Not fair!

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

injeneral
on 8/12/11 3:40 am
My surgeon told me yesterday that leaks with sleeves usually dont' appear until 2-4 weeks out and if I have any pain that won't go away in that time frame, to call immediately because it could be a leak. He stressed it's especially important if I feel ok and then feel crappy one day and crappy the next and keep feeling crappy.

i'd definitely call and demand some sort of test!
Crunchy As Can Be
on 8/11/11 1:16 pm - NY
Keep on keeping on, girl. There really isn't any one "normal" as everybody is so different with healing and recovering. I remember that by day 9 I was driving and feeling pretty good and that by day 30 I felt like I hadn't even had surgery... so somewhere in between there I improved enough to motivate myself to go on walks every day in my neighborhood and get my butt outta the house, even if it was just to walk around the mall.

Keep it up-- you're doing fine!

But, if you're really worried, ask your surgeon for a prescription for bloodwork just to check.
 ~~Emily~~

Cristina S.
on 8/11/11 6:50 pm - New Britain, CT
Oohh Cristina, you spell your name the same way I do. Anyway, I'm 10 days out and still feeling slightly funky. I took off extra time for work. I think it depends on the person. If you have severe pain though, don't ignore it.

faye1973
on 8/12/11 6:09 am
I was sleeved on the 27th.....and I too have a deep burning type pain in my lower right abdomen. I'm due to go back to work Monday....am a bit concerned since I am a nurse and do heavy type work. I did make an appointment to see my surgeon....I was feeling great postop, then about seven days out felt like a truck hit me. I've been napping and taking tylenol around the clock. Will see what he says on Monday afternoon. His nurse did recommend a heating  pad. Will try that this weekend.

Keep us posted!
Faye
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views