Birthcontrol/hormones after surgery

kam0520
on 8/15/11 10:03 am - AL
I am in the middle of my 3rd month of supervised weight loss to be able to have surgery.  But, I go for my yearly GYN appointment next week.  I want to talk to him about what I need to be on as far as hormones go after the surgery.  I am currently on Norethindrone (Aygestin) by mouth.  I'm 27 years old and have a LONG history of a LOT of GYN problems, basically the medicine keeps me from having a period and need to continue to not have a period.  This isn't for birth control at all because I am infertile, (no tubes, one ovary).  Does anyone have any suggestions for when I go see my doc?  Thanks!!!
(deactivated member)
on 8/15/11 10:13 am
You definately want to talk to the doctor.  I was told no BC pills because they elevate blood clot risks.  I was finally able to go on something super low a month post - but I have to cru**** still.  Your situation seems a little different so a doctor will help better.  Good luck!
Smardeepants
on 8/15/11 10:28 am
I was also told no birth control pills. Not a problem, as I have an IUD. I've done great with it, and don't have a period anymore (it's been about 5 years).

I would educate your GYN if necessary on what your needs are/surgery is, etc... and explain that you will need to be off pills for several mos. (My surgeon says none at least 1mo before and 1mo after). Maybe there's an alternative you could use? IUD, Depo, Ring, something non-pill related?

It sounds like you need to start a transition off of pills well in advance, Talk to your GYN, let them know what you NEED, and go from there.

ready2Bhealthy2
on 8/15/11 11:13 am
My surgeon requires that we be off of BC for 6 weeks prior and 6 weeks post to minimize blood clots.  However, my period came on so harshly that I thought I was literally bleeding to death.  I am now on BC pills that have progesterone only.  The problem with most types of BC is that they have both estrogen and progesterone.  The estrogen is what apparently increases blood clots.  Now this progesterone only BC isn't going to stop my cycle, but it should stop me from feeling like I'm dying and bleeding like it to.  I'm on my first round of pills.  Good luck to you.
HW286/SW269/1mo-20lbs/2 mo-9lbs/3 mo-10lbs

1st Goal - Loss of 50lbs
(deactivated member)
on 8/15/11 2:07 pm - WV
I take the Norethindrone also and I asked my GYN what I should do.  I also was told to be off my pills 15 days prior to surgery and 1 month post op.  But I still need to talk to my surgeon about them.  My GYN says I should be fine with them and low risk of blood clots and that I could have DEPO PROVERA if I want to stop the period all together.  But that the DEPO wil cause weight gain.

I hope this helps....

Paula
Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 2 replies · 41 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 2 replies · 41 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 195 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 281 views