Sleeved July 13, and lost 22 lbs. so far, but....

punkin1952
on 8/16/11 8:53 pm - AL
I'm still always hungry.  I am taking Prilosec every day, too, so I'm not sure if this is normal.  I can only eat a little at a time, and I have lost weight, but I just wondered if other people still have this problem.  Ravenous all the time.  Before the sleeve, I would read how people lost the desire to eat and I was so looking forward to that.  As long as I'm losing weight, I guess it's okay, but I'm terrified the weight loss will stop, and I'll be the one who actually gains weight after the sleeve.

Suane
on 8/16/11 10:10 pm - Livingston County, MI

Sometimes you think you are hungry and are only thirsty. Try to sip some water and see what happens. Some 'habits' are hard to break. Also, if you are eating too many carbs, you may be feeling the reciprocal effects of wanting to eat more. Get your protein in first and make sure whatever you eat is good for you.

Always the best wishes, Sue 

HW: 261   SW: 248.5   CW: 154  GW: 135     5' 2"

punkin1952
on 8/16/11 10:13 pm - AL
Thanks, Sue.  I am guilty of eating too many carbs.  I'll try more protein and less carbs and see what happens.
Onedaysoon
on 8/16/11 10:30 pm - PA
Real hunger or 'head' hunger? I sometimes have difficulty separating the two so I try to think of it this way.....When I'm REALLY hungry if someone put a plate of raw vegetables in front of me I would gladly start eating them up. If not, then I know it's 'head' hunger .....the kind that gets me snacking and shoveling in the carbs...which is what got me 100lbs overweight!

It's important to recognize the difference and try to nip it in the bud. I am battling with it and it is hard! Even with as little food as I can eat with my sleeve, I can still EASILY nibble on stuff throughout the day (crackers, pretzels, bites of my kid's poptarts, dry cereal, etc....) that can add up to an extra 500 calories a day.

Remember, YOU are the one in control. I promise, you won't be that 'one' person who doesn't lose weight with the sleeve, you just have to play by the rules. :)
~Carly~
~

punkin1952
on 8/16/11 10:43 pm - AL
For some reason my reply to you didn't go through.  Anyway, thanks so much for the honest information.  I do snack on all the wrong things all day long.  I'm just going to have to make myself do better. 
Lisa J.
on 8/17/11 5:05 am - OK
On August 17, 2011 at 5:43 AM Pacific Time, punkin1952 wrote:
For some reason my reply to you didn't go through.  Anyway, thanks so much for the honest information.  I do snack on all the wrong things all day long.  I'm just going to have to make myself do better. 
See, you've answered your own question.

YOU KNOW you're eating the wrong things, you just have to take responsibility for it.

Think about this, when was the last time you lost 22lbs -- the HARD way?

PLEASE see this as a gift, please understand that when you take out the bad crap (the crappy, worthless carbs that only leave you hungry for more), and replace it with protein FIRST and good carbs, that you too, will conquer this beast.

Just for now, tell yourself that you cannot eat anything else other than protein, and keep nothing around BUT protein and water....you're still a newbie....you've GOT to embrace this very special time frame where you can just literally **** this up and still lose weight....but remember if you DON'T change your habits you're going to wind up not losing as much as you could have, and/or stalling for a very very long time. Then you'll blame it all on the surgery and not on yourself. You'll HAVE to take responsibility for each and every bite you put in your mouth. C'mon, there's a dang lot of great for you food out there.....just learn how to grab IT instead of the bad **** that won't get you anywhere......

And as for me, I'm about to lunch on red bell peppers and a cucumber!

Lisa J
HW: 277   Day of Surgery: 234    CW: 161 Goal: 135 sounds good but....? Who knows!

HW/277   EVAL/260  PREOP/246  SURGERY DAY/243   CW/162 1/3/2011
punkin1952
on 8/17/11 8:02 pm - AL
Thanks for the awesome honesty, Lisa.  I'm not just going to try to do better - I'm going to do better.
Bahamas1968
on 8/16/11 11:02 pm - MI
I have the same issue. But luckily it only takes a small amount to sill me up. Unfortunately, it seems I can never be satisfied, but at least I am full. It's still an adjustment and the pounds lost is worth the effort.

punkin1952
on 8/16/11 11:51 pm - AL
You're right.  As long as the weight keeps coming off!
vacationlover
on 8/16/11 11:08 pm
Hi!  I also never lost my hunger.  I eat very little carbs, the right amount of protein and water, etc.  For me it's not head hunger or thirst.  It's tummy growling hunger.  However, as time has went on, my morning hunger has lessoned. 

Once I was able to start eating dense protein, I was no longer ravenous all the time.  I try to eat a little bit every three hours, always starting with a protein, and that helps a lot.  At meal time I have about 2 oz protein.  For snacks, I usualy have 1 oz protein.

CARBS DO NOT FILL ME UP AT ALL!  Therefore, I ALWAYS start my meal with a protein.

CW: 130ish HW: 264 SW:254 Hgt: 5'2

Goals-Dr:159-MET Mine:140-MET!!! Final Goal: 135-MET!!!!!

W4:-22 W8:-11 W12:-10.5 W16:-12 W20:-11.5 W24:-9.5 W28:-8 W32:-7.5 W36:-8 W40:-7.5 W44:-5 W48: -4.5 1Yr/W52: -7

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 62 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 62 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 244 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 312 views