Failed banding, having surg in sept

Cher0n
on 8/20/11 5:13 am, edited 8/20/11 5:17 am
Hi! I was wondering if any of you had banding done prior to your sleeve procedure? The band totally did not work for me, and I had it removed in June. I'm a little gun shy of another surgery, but I know I can't do it on my own.

Have any of you been through this? Thanks! Sharon
Spiritus
on 8/20/11 7:03 am - Hawthorne, CA

Hi Sharon, I am one of the many band to sleeve patients!  I had my band installed in Oct of 2007 and removed in February 2011.  I just had my sleeve procedure on August 10th 2011 and so far so good.  I had much more pain AFTER my band was removed as opposed to it's installment or sleeve surgery.

You may have to wait some time before you sleeve procedure but it will be because of scar tissue around where the band was at. I waited 6 months and my surgeon said it made a signifigant difference. I am on day 10 post sleeve and I am absolutely NOT hungry at all. In fact food right now even sounds terrible.....hope that will last a very long time!

Good Luck!

~Vickie

Cher0n
on 8/20/11 10:43 am
Hey Vickie!

Hope you continue to feel well and Congratulations on your surgery!!!!!!!

Hislady
on 8/20/11 10:04 am - Vancouver, WA
Well I haven't revised because I have no bariatric coverage but I tell you if I could have the sleeve I'd do it in a heart beat! Nothing can be worse than the crap band. I've read many success stories on the VSG forum of band to sleeve revisions. Just keep the faith and you'll be a loser soon too!
Cher0n
on 8/20/11 10:37 am
Thanks for the posts!  I've been feeling a bit like a failure with this whole thing.  I never felt satiated with my band, but after 3 small mouthfulls would get stuck.  Then an hour later hunger again.  My band eventually was leaking a bit and I had it removed on  6/7.  I'm scheduled for surgery on 9/26 and I'm really hoping it all works out.  Still awaiting approval, but have a dr. appt tomorrow.  I have a new surgeon and he really thinks this is a good option for me.  He'll also fix my hernia, which the last surgeon did not.  I had always wanted the sleeve, but at the time I had the surgery, Aetna wouldn't cover it. Now they will. 

Thanks for the encouraging words!  Sharon

gapmom
on 8/22/11 1:41 am - TX
 I am scheduled for a revision on September 13th. Was banded in September 09 and have had little success with it. My surgaeon is removing the band and doing the sleeve in one surgery. I too am not thrilled about having more surgery but the more I read the postings on the this site the more excited I am getting. I really need the support and encouragement this site and the wonderful people on it offer. We can get through this, so hang in there and keep us updated on your progess. 
Cher0n
on 8/22/11 11:34 am
HeyThanks!!!

9/13 is my birthday.....so it's a great day for a new you!  My surgery in on the 26th, so I'll be glad to hear how your doing.  This site seems great, much better than other sites I tried.  So I'm glad I found you all!

tripmom02
on 8/22/11 1:58 am - NJ
 I had my band removed over Fathers Day weekend, and I was sleeved on Aug 1st! Don't have too much expereience with the sleeve yet, but I am happy with my decision.

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 76 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 278 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views