How many carbs are you consuming pre-op and post-op?

TheBiscuit
on 8/29/11 11:09 am - TX
 I'm not talking about pasta, bread, cookies, that kind of thing. I'm talking indirect carbs that you find in milk, fruit and so on. Pre-op (non liquid diet) I'd say I'm consuming about 20-30g through indirect means like my soy mil****ep seeing people saying they avoid carbs completely (how this is possible I have no idea), so what's the verdict? Do I need to suck it up and mix my protein with jus****er from here on out? I'm afraid I'm sabotaging my pre-op weight loss by consuming 20-30g a day if this is not reccommended.
(deactivated member)
on 8/29/11 11:15 am
I start my pre-op liquids tomorrow, but for the last 4 months I've been trying to keep my carbs to no more that 30g a day total, whether it be from milk, veggies, fruit, etc. I have avoided white stuff (sugar, white bread, white rice, potatoes, corn) anything uber starchy. My dr's program pretty much follows that after reaching regular food many weeks out from surgery too.
TheBiscuit
on 8/29/11 11:17 am - TX
 Thanks! Sounds right around what I'm doing. I must be on the right track, then. It's not hard keeping it to this low of an amount, so pre-op liquid diet and post-op nutrition ought to be a cinch for me.
(deactivated member)
on 8/29/11 11:17 am
A carb is a a carb is a carb.. whether from dairy, fruit or pasta, your body treats them all the same.

My pre-op diet was basically no-carb for a week, I'd imagine with some minor veggies & salads (allowed) I had under 10g a day. This was just to use up the glycogen on/in the liver to make it less floppy for surgery (aka the "liver shrinking diet").. thus the quick drop in water weight right before surgery.

Post- op, my plan limits me to under 40g, I limit myself to around 20g for my best results. What does your plan call for?
TheBiscuit
on 8/29/11 11:20 am - TX
 Very informative, thank you. So that's what dropping the water weight means! I'll start diluting the soy milk to half soy, half water and see if I can manage it down to jus****er after a few days. I'm sure I can, just depends on how tolerable my flavor of protein powder turns out to be by the time it's full water, heh!
(deactivated member)
on 8/29/11 11:28 am
Yeah, some are better than others when mixed with water.. 

When you drop the "quick energy" source our bodies store (in muscles, and a lot around our big floppy livers)- glycogen, it releases a lot of water with it.. Glycogen is slick, they don't want to push around a slick liver while trying to get to your stomach. Livers are fragile things. ;)

Here's a quick info post on that first stall that happens early out- that's where it comes from.. Just so you know to expect it, and so you don't freak out when you stop losing, or even gain a lb or so.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/VSG/4432045/Attention-New- ops-About-that-first-quotstallquot-gt/

TheBiscuit
on 8/29/11 11:32 am - TX
 That really puts a lot into perspective, thank you so much! I have to ask, though, as someone who will try to do ANYTHING to force out of any sort of stall-- is there a way to circumvent that process from happening for too long or too greatly? Increasing exercise or water intake (as pouch allows)?
(deactivated member)
on 8/29/11 11:38 am
Not really.. Always drink the absolute MOST you can, regardless..'

Some say up calories, some say lower, some say up carbs.. etc, more activity (couldn't hurt, but don't push past your own limits..) but in the end, your body will dictate when it ends. There's been some back & forth about upping cals then dropping them, but I honestly (from what I've read, not done myself) think that may end up reducing the amount you would have lost in the long run..

Stalls are just part of the equation, I may have had a couple 10day long ones, but I don't even call that a stall.. I just keep trucking on with my plan, and it eventually falls off again. Don't stress it is the best advice I can give, it'll be a lot more pleasant if you have a good mindset!
hollykim
on 8/29/11 11:37 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
Pre op I didn't track them at all. I had a set diet that pretty much took care of it.

Post op I do very low carb. I am extremely carb sensitive from years of yo-yo dieting nd eating way too much sugar on a regular basis. I am actually on day 15 of carb abstinance.
I am totally addicted to sugar/carbs.

I strictly steer clear of the "bad"carbs and I have to avoid,personally,the carbs in whole grains like oatmeal,sweet potatoes and brown rice,beans,etc cause while they aren't a trigger for me,they WILL stop my loss dead in it's tracks,as I have seen happen this last year.

If not for allowing "good"carbs back into my plan,I would have been at goal a looooong time GO.

It is very possible to keep carbs below 30 and I aim for 20 or less myself. To do that I eat meat,chicken,pork,bacon,eggs,jerky,can tuna a very small amt of brocolli sometimes and lettuce occassionally under taco meat.

Today I had 22.5 Total grms and 17.5 net grams. I ate ;
2 protein shakes /homemade almond milk
Taco salad,with lettuce and cheese no chips or shell
Grass fed beef meatballs/homemade marinara/no pasta

104 oz of sf liquid 2 decaffs

most of the carbs came from the almond milk and the tomatoes in the marinara sauce. I was not hungry at all and this satisfied my nutritional needs for the day.

If I eat carbs at all.I find I can eat more of everything,not just carbs,and I want to eat all day. Not necessarily hungry,but head hunger where I am just thinking of wht I can eat next.

Gl on your journey and hope this helps,
Holly

TheBiscuit
on 8/29/11 11:39 am - TX
 That IS very helpful, thank you for your input! Sounds like a great day for you, as well. I'd kill for some meatballs these days but I'll stay pure chicken-mode until after surgery. My triggers are beef stuff for sure!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 266 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 327 views