I feel like a failure

Nancee
on 9/6/11 3:31 pm
I had VSG last Oct and I have only lost 60 pounds, I have over 50 more to go. I have tried to stay positive, but I have not lost any weight since January. I was self pay and it took me years to save for surgery. I feel like such a failure. I guess VSG wasnt the surgery for me. Where do I go from here? HELP!
~Nancee~     
CoolBeans
on 9/6/11 4:26 pm - MD
Have you been to followup with your surgeon and your nutritionist? What did they say? 

Other than "blaming yourself" and "feeling like you failed" do you have any idea what might have not worked for you? I have seen people post about making changes even several years out that helped them get back on track. Your surgeon and his office should be a resource for you. I hope you will work with (or if you think they can not guide your further) another bariatric physician to get where you want to be. 

Good luck. 

Cari    
Carly ~
on 9/6/11 7:09 pm, edited 9/6/11 7:10 pm
 You started out in the 200s, and 60 lbs in a year is a tremendous success.   You were on the lower end of weight for surgery, so your weight loss won't be as rapid as heavier patients on here.
Find ways to celebrate the new you!
My surgeon said that from operation until the end of the 2nd year are when you lose the most.
You don't need help losing weight, you're already doing that!

Those 60 lbs are gone forever -- and you're not gaining.  
Give yourself time, and remember how far you've come -- you're rocking this!

katier825
on 9/6/11 8:10 pm, edited 9/6/11 8:11 pm
You've done well so far! Are you tracking what you eat? If you still want to lose, you should be sure to stick to a plan. Keep your protein high 60-80, carbs under 40, calories 800-1000 or so. The good thing with having the sleeve is that I've found it easier to get back on track when I go off the plan. Go back to basics and you should be able to drop some more weight. Hang in there!

Also, be sure to measure or weigh your portions to be sure you are accurately recording what you eat.  Guessing is not always the best option if you aren't losing.
DuanesGirl
on 9/6/11 9:16 pm - KY
DON'T give up and DON'T feel like a failure.  You have done well to lose the 60 pounds and keep it off.  When was the last time you were able to maintain a loss like that?  

Have you thought about maybe trying the 5 day pouch test to 're-set' your system?  I've used it before to help break a stall and it did the trick.  I also found that it helped me detox from the carb monster and help me re-focus on what I needed to be doing to lose to get to goal.  I'm actually thinking about doing it again myself, starting on Saturday to help me lose another 5ish pounds (I've decided to lower my goal weight).  Want to do it together?

Also, you may want to do as suggested and talk to your nutritionist.  Start logging your food (I know, I know, pain in the butt but a neccessary evil sometimes) so when you meet with the nutritionist, you have something to show and discuss.  Then they can make suggestions on ways to tweak your diet.  
We knew going into this that the changes were going to be long term.  The fact that you posted here, asking for help, tells me that you aren't ready to give up the fight.  You CAN do this.   

tdjf_3
on 9/6/11 10:59 pm
Please explain the 5 day pouch test Thx in advance

God Bless & Happy Losing!!!!                 
injeneral
on 9/7/11 2:15 am
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/wls_grads/3514609/5-day-pouch-test/
LilySlim Weight loss tickers                        
HT: 5'3"      HW: 240     GW: 130     AGE: 30     PCOSer; diagnosed 2003
Month 1:  -21.2 (218.8)   Month 2: -10 (208.8)   Month 3: -10.6 (198.2)   Month 4: -8.6 (189.6)
First goal (to be under 200): Nov. 11; 199.2
Second goal: weigh less than my husband (174):

I want to think again of dangerous and noble things. I want to be light and frolicsome. I want to be improbable, beautiful and afraid of nothing as though I had wings. — Mary Oliver

rosapain
on 9/6/11 9:49 pm - Amityville, NY
DuanesGirl I think thats a Great ideal, thank you. Nacee stop feeling down on yourself, brush yourself off accept DuanesGirl offer and enjoy the ride.Thats what so great about this broad sharing our ups and downs.hugs everyone.
great    
isabellarossellini
on 9/7/11 1:24 am
I'm curious about the 5 day pouch test too, please explain. :)
injeneral
on 9/7/11 2:15 am
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/wls_grads/3514609/5-day-pouch-test/
LilySlim Weight loss tickers                        
HT: 5'3"      HW: 240     GW: 130     AGE: 30     PCOSer; diagnosed 2003
Month 1:  -21.2 (218.8)   Month 2: -10 (208.8)   Month 3: -10.6 (198.2)   Month 4: -8.6 (189.6)
First goal (to be under 200): Nov. 11; 199.2
Second goal: weigh less than my husband (174):

I want to think again of dangerous and noble things. I want to be light and frolicsome. I want to be improbable, beautiful and afraid of nothing as though I had wings. — Mary Oliver

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views