I got an idea

Carpe_Diem
on 9/7/11 4:47 am - Mississauga, Canada
I have a friend that just completed a 1/2 ironman. It took a great deal of training, commitment and sacrifice to accomplish his goal. It's a wonderful achievement and he just got a cool tattoo on his calf to commemorate his success. It's clearly the most important thing he has done in a long time. I will get my VSG on Sept 26 and if I hit my goal weight that will be my most important achievement in a long time. It will also take a great deal of training, commitment and sacrifice to succeed. So I got to thinking that maybe I might do something similar. I saw this "scales" idea in another post and liked it immediately. I could put VSG across the top and 09/26/11 at the bottom. I want to put LIFE on one side and DEATH on the other, since I believe that's the choice I am ultimately making. So here is my question. Should LIFE go on the "winning" side at the right or should it go on the "lighter" side at the left. I'm thinking the left, since being lighter is what will allow me to live longer. Also, it's the irony of the reversed meaning of the scales that appeals to me. But if you saw that would you think I got it backwards? I would consider putting it on my upper arm (either side) where it would not be visible unless I wanted it to. I've never had a tattoo and never thought I would. I'm 59 and haven't decided for sure. Is it silly? Input is appreciated. Cheers!

GRAVITY SUCKS  
          LEAD, FOLLOW, or GET OUT OF THE WAY !     
DragonGirl
on 9/7/11 4:57 am - MN
I think it's a cool idea!! YOU decide how you want it...tats are a very personal thing....never mind what other people think! (I like the life on the lighter/left side!)
I have plans for a tat after I make goal. I want a colorful pheonix on my shoulder blade to symbolize rebirth and add VSG and my surgery date under it.

Heidi
  Age 49 Height 5'5" HW/280 SW/250 CW/157  
Behind every success is effort...Behind every effort is passion...Behind every passion is someone with the courage to try.
(deactivated member)
on 9/7/11 4:58 am
I'd put it on the lighter side.. the meaning fits!

I have been kicking around a tat idea since I was 16.. I still haven't moved on it, and not sure if I ever will, lol. Prob at this stage, I won't.. but you never know!
jadelet
on 9/7/11 5:12 am

I think it is awesome. I have a great affinity for scales, being a libra, an attorney, and proponent of balance. I have a set of even ones on my back.

Here's another angle to that scale idea, making the subcontext even a little richer if you put life on the lighter side.

When Anubis (Egyptian god of death) judges the newly dead, he weighs their heart on a scale. If it is lighter than the feather of Maat, the newly deceased will pass into the afterlife. If it is heavier, Amemait will DEVOUR them whole.

Think about that one  and all the inherent analogies you can draw with that.

I fully condone the idea however you decide.

“Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.?

HW: 280   SW: 277 CW: 196

Carpe_Diem
on 9/7/11 6:48 am - Mississauga, Canada
Great info, thanks.  I missed the significance of the Libra sign.  Odd, since all my wifes are Libras!!
                                     GRAVITY SUCKS  
          LEAD, FOLLOW, or GET OUT OF THE WAY !     
Lynnww666
on 9/7/11 5:16 am - Canada
I think it's a good idea in many ways. I have a couple of tats that mean a lot to me and I agree that you should design it however it appeal and means the most to you. This is YOUR ink and your success, so definitely do it your way.
I love the permanent and personal nature of tattoos... living art on our bodies.
I would just add one caveat... the Hep C rates are on the rise in Canada (and probably U.S. etc. too) and one of the reasons is the plethora of people getting tattoos and the growth in second rate and not always totally hygienic tattoo parlours (I have this first hand from a Hep C support nurse in my city). So go for it but take time to research a long-time, skilled artist and be prepared to pay a premium for all those years of experience... just like you'd research a surgeon or a mechanic or any other skilled pro. I don't mean to put this downer in the post but I'm sensitive to the issue as my husband just completed six months of chemo to treat (Successfully!) his Hep. C believed to have come from a tattoo he got 15 years ago.
Good luck with the surgery, the weight loss and the tat!
Lynn
Quien quiera pescado que se moje el culo
Dec. 2010 weight 355, surgery weight 292 Current weight 199

MyOwnSunshine
on 9/7/11 6:04 am
Love it!  I would do whichever has the most meaning to you.

I'm going to get a lotus surrounded by cherry blossoms and butterflies on my upper back.  I'm going to get a butterfly for each 10 pounds that I lose, and get the lotus when I've reached my goal. 

I think I'm going to get a full back-piece eventually, with the goal of having it finished when I complete my doctorate NP, which will take a while.
" I am not at all concerned with appearing to be consistent. In my pursuit after Truth I have discarded many ideas and learnt many new things."  Ghandi            
stacezoe
on 9/7/11 8:57 am
I'm thinking the same idea, something that symbolizes this jouney, I was looking at the chinese symbol for strength on my wrist, that way I see it in all I do...Just a thought though...

I think you should do it! I have thought out every one of my tattoo's and each one is special in its own way... However I do not recomend the toe to anyone...that hurts like a ***** and the color does not stay and needs touching up too much!
 Inspiration move me brightly...Grateful Dead Terapin Station
  HW 286 SW 279 CW 231 40y/o 5'10  Month 1-17, 2-7#, 3- 7#, 4-3#,5-3#      
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 179 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 451 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 475 views