Constipated! Please help!!

sheluvs2luv
on 9/26/11 1:55 am
 I will be 2 weeks out tomorrow from my VSG surgery! I am 17 pnds down but seem to be at a little stall because I have only managed to go use the bathroom once this week ;0( .... I am about to try metamucil but id there anything better for us sleevers that I can try instead?  
Jennchap
on 9/26/11 2:05 am - CA
I was in the same boat and used Milk of Magnsia (sp) was the only thing that helped
HW 275   SW 229   CW 136 

Nicole S.
on 9/26/11 2:12 am - Vallejo, CA
Milk of magnesia will do wonders to fix that!  That is what I was using when I hit that stage.  Mind you it is NASTY, but it will fix the problem.  Just remain near a bathroom.
~Nicole  
Height 5'1 HW- 320 SW-265 CW- 172.2 GW 140                                

Theresa Z.
on 9/26/11 2:23 am - Dayton, OH
I was told to add flax seed oil daily to my smoothies. Now, there are many things I have tried that have not worked including Miralax taken daily so I am not sure what will work for you.

My nurse told me to stop the Miralax because the it makes the bowels lazy and then she referred me to the Flax Seed Oil or Powder.

I finally had my first bm yesterday since the surgery a week ago today and I have heard from others that it can be 2 weeks sometimes.

Good luck!

atomic_bettie
on 9/26/11 2:24 am - OK
I highly recommend Miralax.  It is amazing stuff.  It's a powder and it dissolves in water with no taste whatsoever.  I do half a dose a day in my water bottle with my flavorings.  It lets you go without feeling like you are going to have to spray paint the walls if you know what I mean.  
Visit my WLS blog:  themisfitscarlett.blogspot.com                                    
MyOwnSunshine
on 9/26/11 3:49 am
I used one dose of Miralax and some Benefiber in my water when I was constipated.  Now, I mix Benefiber in with my powdered Multi-vits every day and it seems to be keeping me regular. 

" I am not at all concerned with appearing to be consistent. In my pursuit after Truth I have discarded many ideas and learnt many new things."  Ghandi            
George B.
on 9/26/11 4:08 am - Miami, FL
Early out when it got bad I used a glycerine suppository. 15 minutes after use I was completely relieved, several times. You can buy them at any pharmacy and most grocery stores.

Soon after my surgery I started eating Lentil soup a few times a week. The fiber helped keep me regular.

Now I take 2 Fiber Gummies daily and this had resolved all my constipation issues.

Good luck,
George

Happy966
on 9/26/11 7:09 am

Here is my recommendation, for what it's worth.  If you're completely stopped up, Milk of Magnesia will do the trick.  Our nurse recommended an initial double-dose, but one worked fine for me.  After I was back on track, I found I needed fiber, which I wasn't getting at all in my current diet.  I started adding a Benefiber kind of supplement to my water.  Plus two fiber gummies per George.  This has been sufficient, and I think I would be able to cut out some of the fiber once I can eat more fibrous food.  Yogurt and cottage cheese are not very conducive to la vida regular.

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

Birdie55
on 9/26/11 8:46 am
I started taking Benefiber (actually the generic sugar free one) and Colace about a month or two after surgery.  My surgeon said Colace could be taken daily; it's a stool softener.  Between both of those, I have not had constipation.  

I add the fiber to my protein drink that I drink every morning for breakfast.  And I take the colace at night.  Works well for me.  

Ht 5' 4  SW 181  GW 120 - 125  Age 61  CW 130

Edit   Delete          

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views