When did it all change inside your head?

yellomodelchick06
on 10/5/11 2:04 am - Moreno Valley, CA
I know that after surgery you will not be able to eat as much.. So when in your head do you finally surrender to that? I used to be an emotional eater.. happy, sad, etc... I have stopped that, but I still have my urges every now and again... Do you get mad because you cant eat? food has been my drug for so long... It's going to be hard to say goodbye...
Smardeepants
on 10/5/11 2:12 am, edited 10/5/11 2:13 am

For me, the initial "excitement" and "thrill" wore off around 5 weeks post-op. I was on a family vacation at a resort that served a gorgeous hot breakfast buffet every morning. Waffles, french toast, sausage, eggs, potatoes o'brian, homemade muffins... you name it.

I was far enough out that I was "over" my eating plan, wanted to throwdown. I was SOOOO PISSED that I couldn't eat (and tried to eat carby things not on my plan... twice I actually made myself sick). I was frustrated and angry and WANTED to eat. I wrestled with anger and depression that entire week... all over food. Food lost, I won. Well, for that week anyway.

I will say, though... I didn't win the war. Just that battle, on that day. While I think that good choices are like a muscle (meaning, they get easier to use the more they're "exercised"), for me I don't know if I'll ever be DONE. Some days will be better/easier than others. Some days I still resent my tiny sleeve, and the fact that I shouldn't feed her crap (like a big, fat pumpkin/cream cheese whoopie pie at the farmer's market)... but in the end I remember how much better it is to be in my size 10 (too tight for public, but still) jeans than my size XXL sweats.

babystacie
on 10/5/11 2:24 am - TN
 I am 3 months post op  and some days I am very angry because I cannot eat all the pizza I want or have pancakes for breakfast. I try very hard to stay on plan, but some days are bigger victories than others.
Ms Shell
on 10/5/11 2:36 am - Hawthorne, CA
 Almost 4 y ears and still get a little pissed/upset/sad...not to often...but that was PART of me for 37 YEARS...

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

momsy55
on 10/5/11 2:42 am - ME
I'm a little more than 6 weeks post surgery.  I haven't experienced anger at not being able to eat certain foods.  I think I'm still on a pink cloud.  However, over the past week or 2, I have been getting hungry 2-3 hours after a meal and I have found myself looking at foods I can't have. and  For a brief moment I would think "I could dive right into that right now", but very quickly would get past the feeling and never acted on it.  Hopefully, now that I am no longer on soft foods, and can eat denser protein and more fiber, the hunger between meals will lessen.  I fully expect some challenges along the way.  I struggled for too many years with food to think that I'm totally over it. 

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

dejahsmom096
on 10/5/11 3:16 am
I love to eat, even now. It took me about a month to really say "Dang you will never be abe to pig out again" I learned how to make healthier versions of the food I like. At almost 4 months out I am enjoying food again and the small quanities don't brother me now. When something is really good I do wish I could eat a little more but I just save it for another time. This surgery is totally mental. It does take time to absord what you have done to your body. When you start losing weight your whole outlook changes. Much sucess on your upcoming surgery.
T.R       

joie_de_sleeve
on 10/5/11 4:12 am - IN
I'm about 10 weeks out.

I would get really angry when I was on liquids, but as I progressed through the mushies my anger started to fade. Now that I'm in stage three, I feel like I get enough variety that it doesn't bother me as much that I can't have things like pizza, pasta, and bread. It'll come eventually, and in much smaller quantities. I've also noticed my tastes are changing a bit. Things I'd been craving and angry about not eating a few weeks ago sometimes turn out to be not as good as I remembered.

VSG 7/26/11

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

(deactivated member)
on 10/5/11 4:25 am
I think this is different for all, depending on your eating habits. I surrendered to the fact that I was not going to be consuming the quantities I had prior to surgery.. I was burned out on overeating, and what it was doing to me. I never mourned food post op, never got mad.. I still eat food, just not the huge amounts that it took pre-op for my body to say "enough".. the liquids and mushies stages passed without an issue, and I was still cooking for my husband. I actually was very happy and felt peaceful about food for the first time that I could recall.

I do now occasionally get a small feeling of panic at the very tiny volume I have.. I am still at 2oz or less of protein.. That's the odd one for me. I can get a little anxious about the portions I eat, then worry about a possible future increase in volume that has yet to appear. That's my current head-trip.

Do I occasionally want to taste more- yes, do I get upset or mad, no. There will be another meal in just a few hours, and if  want to revisit that last meal/taste - I do. That is the one big lesson that this surgery provided.. there will always be another meal, I don't have to have it all right now.. this isn't feast & famine.

yellomodelchick06
on 10/5/11 4:29 am - Moreno Valley, CA
Thanks to you all for responding! I really appreciate it!
nilesmama08
on 10/5/11 4:51 am - Atlanta , GA
Yes it is hard!!!!

I miss some of my favorite comfort foods but I am more satisfied fitting in my smaller clothes!

I went to the county fair with my daughter and husband. Everything clicked at that moment because the year prior I ate EVERYTHING(funnel cakes, cotton candy, barbeque, pizza and so on)! This year I simply enjoyed sightseeing and watching my little girl smile and laugh.

I was sad briefly but I felt like a normal person instead of a greedy monster, lol! Good luck to you!
    LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat   I met my initial goal of 160!          
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 66 views