doing the switch...a little advice needed!!

shoop
on 10/12/11 12:23 pm
 Hey everyone

I have officially made up my mind to ditch this broken lap band and go directly to the sleeve (thnx to the ppl who shared their stories on here and a ton of research) 

I just have a couple of more ?'s 

what is most needed from the grocery store for my first four weeks?
I am going in Nov 2 for the surgery and am trying to stock up now...also what is most comfortable to wear after surgery?  

and lastly...what is your best advice for a newbie ??

thanx so much for your answers and support!!

LeahBea
on 10/12/11 12:53 pm
VSG on 05/31/11 with
I wasn't a revision, but I can answer those questions!

What you need is dependent on your surgeons plan, mine was one week clear liquids, two weeks full liquids, two weeks pureed/soft foods.

Some things that were super helpful for me: on clear liquids- sugar free powerade, low cal Gatorade, crystal light (big ones for a pitcher and small ones to change up the flavors here and there), sugar free jello, broth of whatever flavor you like, etc.

Full liquids: fat free cream soup (broccoli cheese was my fav, just blend out the lumps), sugar free pudding thinned out, yogurt thinned out (no seeds or fruit!), milk, sugar free carnation instant breakfast, protein shakes, unflavored protein powder mixed into water with a crystal light packet. *Hint* - As far as the soup goes, I made a can, then froze it in ice cube trays. About two cubes is all I could do at a time. But it made it super easy to just put it in the microwave.

Puréed/soft foods: scrambled egg, soft boiled egg, cottage cheese, yogurt, sugar free pudding, tuna salad, egg salad, just about anything (within reason) you can put into a food processor and make into mush.

I found a tank top and yoga pants were what I was most comfortable in. A comfy bra was necessary for me, I don't like NOT wearing a bra unless I'm sleeping. Looser clothing is what is generally recommended from what I hear most often. Just remember, it's about being comfortable, not how you look. It's not a beauty pageant.

My best advice as a newbie would be to 1. start tracking everything that goes into your mouth from the beginning. Make it a habit. It'll make your life easier later. 2. Get in your water, it's often easier said than done at the beginning, but it makes a world of difference. 3. Take things slow. Don't rush yourself into new foods or things your body isn't ready for right after surgery. Take your time and heal, you have the rest of your life to do all the other stuff.

Good luck and hope that was at least a little bit helpful.

Leah

Happy966
on 10/12/11 1:10 pm

Great suggestions!!

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

Happy966
on 10/12/11 1:05 pm

Stocking Up?  Don't overbuy!!  Get protein samples / single servings so you can try many.  Get some good broth - I liked Home Kitchen Vegetable, one box of creamed soup, some jello, some SF popsicles and then go to the grocery when you get out of the hospital.  Beforehand, I couldn't wrap my mind around how little I would be able to eat after surgery.

Comfotable clothes after surgery? Stretchy pants with soft elastic waist. 

Overall?  Don't push yourself faster than you need to through the post-op food stages.  There's plenty of time to eat anything you want, just not in the first 4-6 weeks.  Weigh and measure what you're eating, and don't eat too much.  Less is better.  You might not know you're full until it's too late!

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 314 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views