Please tell me if I'm doing this right

barber64
on 10/28/11 12:59 pm - Temecula, CA
VSG on 06/06/12
I need 3 more months of document my WL attempt.which my PCP is keeping track every month. So in January  I can send the paperwork to my surgeon to get approved by my insurance company. my surgeon did not tell me to go on a diet but I'm so motivated to get this weight off.  but so far in 3 months I have lost 30 lb. on a 1200 Cal intake. My question is by me loosing weight will I be denied for the WLS?
Countrygirl77
on 10/28/11 1:38 pm
It is a possibility!! I know a girl that was denied bc she lost ;(
Healthier2011
on 10/28/11 1:39 pm
You need to check your insurance requirements.  Most have a BMI reqirement along with other requirements.
NMGAL15
on 10/28/11 2:27 pm - Rio Rancho, NM
 what are your insurance requirements?  I know I had a 6month supervised weightloss I had to complete BUT I couldnt loose more than 10lbs or I wouldnt be qualified for it, it went by BMI... It was hard to be thinking 'im doing a 6 month weight check but I cant actually loose weight' 
Jeep1974
on 10/28/11 10:17 pm - MI
My ins co went by my starting bmi, but it is worth a call to see what their guidelines are.... Especially if you might dip below a specific bmi. With the pre op diet, I dipped below a 35 bmi but they did not weigh me on that day. But.... After having cleaned out and starved myself for two weeks it was kind of expected.

ready2Bhealthy2
on 10/29/11 12:30 am
This is only a suggestion:  I would definately slow down on the weight loss.  30lbs is great and I'm sure you want to keep going, but I would wait until after the approval.  I would want to show the insurance company that you are dedicated and committed, but not that you can lose 60lbs on your own.  Not that any of us can't, but our problem tends to be keeping it off.  So, I wouldn't want to give them a reason to deny me just because I worked hard and lost weight.  Good luck.
HW286/SW269/1mo-20lbs/2 mo-9lbs/3 mo-10lbs

1st Goal - Loss of 50lbs
peeches35
on 10/29/11 12:55 am
VSG on 04/03/12
it was crazy when my (NUT) put me on a diet i gain weight.... then my doctor had to write a letter my 3 year weight. am done seeing the nut took my upper GI did my blood work now my papers are being submitted, now the fears comes in and am secong guessing is surgery really for me. but yes if you lose a lot of weight and fall under BMI for surgey you can be denied. good look god bless and add me if you like
Jennifer S.
on 10/29/11 1:34 am
My insurance required a 6 month medically supervised diet.  During that time, I lost over 30 pounds.  However, since my BMI was no where near the cut off for surgery, it did not matter how much I lost.  If you're worried that you'll drop below the BMI requirement for surgery, then talk to your MD and insurance company to get the specifics. 

Good luck!

Jennifer

barber64
on 10/29/11 9:50 am - Temecula, CA
VSG on 06/06/12
Think you all for your advise and will take it to heart. I will slow down on my weight a Will not try to lose more weight. I will call my Insurance company on Monday to confirm there requirement.When I check my BMI on-line it shows my BMI its 37 now. when my surgeon documented my BMI it was 40.5.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 258 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 324 views