getting scared away

shoop
on 10/28/11 2:51 am
 I have my surgery in four days and in reading over these topics the past few days about how hard recovery is and how painful it is...to be honest im getting very scared.  I had the problem on focusing on the what MIGHT happen during surgery and was doing well on getting it conquered until the past two days and it seems there are a ton of posts on how bad recovery is and how much the pain is setting them back and pulminary embolisms ! to tell the truth im getting very freaked out over this surgery!  I am not small but i am 212-216 depending on the day ..and i know that i have about 70 pounds to lose...and my body is in no condition to do it on its own, so since my lap band broke on me i figured the sleeve sounded like the way i should go! but all of these random post on recovery difficulty and ppl not losing weight like they think they should has me wondering if i am going to be able to do it with two kids and a deployed husband...will i make it through the surgery if i do will i make it through recovery and by the Grace of God i do that....will the 70 pounds come off in a timely manner?   

im sorry for the rant or vent...i just had to get some things off my chest! 

thanks for listening 
emelar
on 10/28/11 3:01 am - TX
If it makes you feel better, I had a simple recovery.  I had more pain from my sore throat than any incisions.  I was sore, achey and tired, but can't really say I was ever in pain.  Only spent one day in the hospital, was up and walking early the next morning and checked out by noon.  I was drinking and getting protein in the day after surgery. 

Keep in mind that more people post about problems than the fact that their surgery and recovery was uneventful!  Stay focused and keep your eye on the prize! 
TheBiscuit
on 10/28/11 3:01 am - TX
 You have to realize that everyone is different. I was sleeved 2 weeks ago and I only had pain the first 4 days. I feel perfectly normal and happy now. There is nothing that says you will suffer the same way others have. It's a leap of faith for sure, but you know what's more painful than a little surgery recovery? Having to watch your husband and kids live in pain watching you have high blood pressure, diabetes, fatty liver, heart problems... all of the co-mordities associated with being obese. You should be doing this to get healthy above all else. If you truly want that, you shouldn't have second thoughts about this. It's normal to be scared. It's a major surgery, you're foolish if you don't have some worries! But you're only worried because it's REAL right now. You're probably not as scared of a heart attack right now, because it isn't REAL at this moment. But you ought to be. 

Remember that this is not a decision to be taken lightly because it definitely is difficult to adjust to. But pain is always temporary. Don't be afraid of what-ifs, be afraid of the definites.
VegasLAbound
on 10/28/11 3:03 am - Cleveland, OH
I didn't have any pain except for that GD heartburn! Also my surgery was so uneventful that some of my closest friends and family aren't aware of my procedure. My biggest problem was trying to find a comfortable sleeping position after leaving the OR oh and the lovly nurse who thought a bedpan was appropriate. And I was 300 something pounds. So it's ok to be nervous but I believe the majority of the VSG losers had an uneventful procedure. Stay away from horror stories. I made it a point to not talk to those who have had the RNY (for personal reasons) and those who don't know squat about anything but love to preach opinion and hearsay (SP?)!

Crystal M.
on 10/28/11 3:10 am, edited 10/27/11 9:16 pm - El Paso, TX
I know some people have significant pain after this surgery, but I think they are in the minority.

I had my surgery almost 2 months ago and can honestly say I had only a couple of hours of pain (when I first woke up). I had several more days of discomfort, then some lingering tenderness when I touched my abdomen for a while after that.

I took one pain pill my first day home from the hospital, and that was the only pain medication I ever felt I needed.

It's better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you're not.                

lmreadynow
on 10/28/11 3:17 am
 Hi! l'm 3 weeks out and feel absolutely FABulous!! l never had anything but some gas pain.  First day was uncomfortable because of the gas and the surgery meds.  l was onto Children's medicine the second day, and completely off that the morning of the 3rd day.  My highest pain level l gave in the hospital was a 4. l had it on a Wed., and by the following Wed l didn't even feel like l had anything done at all.  Make sure to walk, take stool softeners, and sip, sip, sip.  l have had absolutely ZERO complications. l eat with the family, cook their meals, l just tailor my plate to my needs now.  My sugar levels are completely normal now, l'm down 2 sizes, and as of this morning am not even 'severely' obese.  l totally recommend this, but l also really understand your fears.  lf you go through with it, you MUST have a positive mind-set. lt makes all of the difference in the world.  And follow your dr's instructions impeccibly. That can make all the difference between any pain and NO pain. Good luck to you!!!

HW291  SW279  l'm 5'7"        
kimbethin
on 10/28/11 3:27 am - CA
I had a suprisingly easy recovery!  I've spoken to about 6 people who were sleeved by my surgeon.  All were happy and suprised by how easy the recovery was.  The people who have problems need to post for some support and reassurance and answers to questions.   Statistically the chance of complications is really low.  It seems higher on this board because we talk about them.  Please don't be scared away.  Make a list of what scares you and talk to your doc about it.  Ask him about his personal statistics.  The best way to avoid pulmonary emboli is to walk alot after surgery and my doc gives every patient injections of blood thinners that decrease the risk even more.  we all want the weight to come off instantly.  Many of u**** a stall at 3 weeks when our bodys seem to need a break to figure it all out.  For me if my weight loss slows down it's because I haven't been doing everything I need to do to get it right.  Every body is different and we can't compare our losses to other people.  Surgery is serious and you need to be sure it's the right thing for you.  Please talk to your doc about your fears.  Best of luck making a decision
putting one foot in front of the other...        
Lisa J.
on 10/28/11 3:29 am - OK
I know you're scared but let's put this into perspective:

You've already had band surgery--same exact chances of pulmonary embolism for this surgery as for that one (or any surgery--plus you can get one from being seated in an airplane too long, or anywhere, for that matter) and the surgeons and staff are ALL too aware of them so getting the pressurized leg cuffs during and after surgery are STANDARD. That's also the reason they heartily encourage you to WALK immediately.

Yes, getting a sleeve is more invasive than a Lap band (I am assuming but I've never had a band) but geez, you've had two children!

Pain is relative for each individual person. FOR ME it was about the same uncomfortableness as having had the flu for a few days--abdomen sore as if I had puked a bunch. The incisions, no big deal. They had surgical glue on them but I was prepared with loose fitting sweats. I never had pain meds on the floor (could have had but honestly didn't think I was in THAT much pain--and maybe that's just my personality?--but I know I've gone through a hell of a lot worse without pain meds. So I chose not to. Didn't have any at home. It was uncomfortable. Period.

I strongly believe that having a positive outlook makes it much better. I was rip rearing to go do this and nothing was going to stop me. I was up and walking and sipping as soon as they thought I was coherant enough. And I couldn't/wouldn't stop walking. I was discharged in less than 30 hours from check in. I drove myself home, granted it was only 10 miles, but still, I drove myself. All I wanted was to lay in my own bed. Some people crave their recliners. It did help obviously that I didn't have children to chase or worry about, granted, but again, I think it's all in your perspective. I was also back to my job in 5 days total.

I will bet you that all these random posts that you are on here are people just whining and venting and that many of them probably don't do good on pain in general??? OR many of those people have wondered 2 weeks later what all the big worry was after all? 

And those same people, even after reading post after post, asking question after question and for some freakin reason STILL expect to lose 100 lbs in a month or whatever--C'mon, it's individual! Yes some people do lose 50 in a month, usually men and usually BIG BIG BIG men. Women simply lose it differently. You're almost a lightweight. You could easily lose 70lbs in 6 months! But you cannot compare yourself and your loss and time frame to anyone else's. PERIOD. And you have to know that it's a process, not a dash.

Personally, I lost 88 lbs in about a year, with absolutely NO exercise other than my usual 90 mph lifestyle. I also had NO complications, no side effects. I awoke with no hunger and didn't experience TRUE hunger for at least a year, and truthfully even now still not absolutely positively sure if it's head hunger or not. It's pretty easy to lose weight when your volume is controlled and sometimes eating is too much trouble, or nothing sounds good...... Hey, great idea!!! Let's call it WLS!

So it's up to you to pull your big girl panties up, prepare for a change, know that perhaps you will have side effects, that you won't lose it *like you think you should*, or think you've made a big mistake.

Poll those people newly sleeved. See what they think.

Would I do it again? IN A NEW YORK MINUTE.

;-)
Lisa J
HW: 277   Day of Surgery: 234    CW: 161 Goal: 135 sounds good but....? Who knows!

HW/277   EVAL/260  PREOP/246  SURGERY DAY/243   CW/162 1/3/2011
fysicsgrl
on 10/28/11 4:33 am
My recovery was very easy!  I was an outpatient surgery.  My surgery was at 9am and I was out of the surgery center by 2pm.  I was up moving that very day.  For about a week I took 2 one hour naps a day and after that maybe one a day.  I walked up and down the block at least 4 times a day that first week which got rid of the gas really quickly.  My mom & dad stayed with me (dad had vsg in december) and mom had me up cleaning the day after surgery.  The only pain I exprienced was the night before my first BM because I was basically constipated.  My only regret is that I wish I had done it sooner!  To date I have lost 58.2 lbs in 3 months.

It is normal for you to be scared, but you have to remember that you have done the research and you chose vsg for a reason.  Don't let your panic change your mind.

vacationlover
on 10/28/11 4:51 am
Yep, I had pain the first 3 days.  However, after that I started feeling better.  Within 2 weeks, I felt great.  Now, at 6 months out, the pain is just a fuzzy memory and I feel fantastic!  I have no regrets.  The weightloss from VSG was definitely worth the pain that I experienced :)

I think part of what determines how quickly your weight comes off, is how close you follow your plan.   The surgery isn't a magic pill- you need to do your part to help the weight come off (protein first, limit the carbs, move your body, no grazing, etc.)

CW: 130ish HW: 264 SW:254 Hgt: 5'2

Goals-Dr:159-MET Mine:140-MET!!! Final Goal: 135-MET!!!!!

W4:-22 W8:-11 W12:-10.5 W16:-12 W20:-11.5 W24:-9.5 W28:-8 W32:-7.5 W36:-8 W40:-7.5 W44:-5 W48: -4.5 1Yr/W52: -7

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 314 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views