getting scared away

percheron
on 10/28/11 5:45 am
Let me share my experience...Just my own story, but might help you see the other side.

First off, we tend to get on here and share our fears and problems faster than our accomplishments and joys.

My surgery was August 30th.  I had about 3 hours of apparent gas pain in my shoulder area, but I have no memory of it.  My mom told me it was the only thing I complained about after surgery.

After sleeping a bit, it was gone.  I did not have any pain after coming home beyond the surgery normal pain.  It lasted a few days and by taking it easy and slow, it went away pretty fast.

I was able to drink water as soon as it was approved and my isopure was my protein.  I went home after a day and a 1/2 in the hospital.  I have not had any nausea, throwing up or restriction issues.  If it were not for the fact that I have 5 scar marks on my stomach, I would not know that I ever had the surgery.

I drink all of the water I am required to plus more.  I have my meals with the family and so far, the only food that has been an issue was a Tuna Steak that was a bit heavy in my stomach and I drank water too fast after eating it...about 15 minutes later, I burped and it caused the tuna to come up in my throat.  I learned to take the wait time after eating serious for water drinking.

I am down 49 pounds in 2 months.  I have not been allowed to exercise yet because of other not weight related health issues but was given a letter today to allow me to get into the water and work out a bit.  I can only imagine how much it will help to start working out. 

I have zero regrets, I have full family and multiple doctors supporting me through this.   Financially, I have traded my pop money that I use to spend for my protein and good food budget that I stick to so I can succeed.

I have had a small scare about fearing food...sounds funny, but I became afraid to put food into my mouth....after talking with a doctor and nutritionist, I now look at food like fuel in a car.  I count calories even though we don't have to, I measure in ounces no matter what...I don't eye it because I have over eaten and it isn't a comfortable feeling, so measuring is the best way to stay on track, know that you are getting the protein you need.

I take the vitamins and calcium citrate as instructed.

I am not saying you won't have some ups and downs, but I am one of the lucky ones that have had few and I mean very few problems at all...well, none.  The head thing is a game most of us will have to deal with and depending on how your body handles pain and stress, will determine how you feel and move forward after surgery.

I wish you the best, you will be so happy when that scale starts dropping.

I have not been below 300 pounds in over 15 years and I am now 3.8 pounds from the 200's.  Do I know that I still have a mountain to climb? Oh yes, I have an entire human to lose off of my body still, BUT I am no longer carrying 5 10-pound bags of potatoes around with me every single day, morning noon and night.....I am free of that much and will keep dancing the happy dance with each 10 pound bag that I lose...(I compare my 10 pound losses to a bag of potatoes and every time I go to the grocery store I go over and pick up a bag just to feel it and realize exactly how heavy that is)

Will keep you in my prayers and be sure to keep us posted on how you are doing.  Good or bad, share it, there are others who will have similar situations or need to hear your story for comfort or guidance. 

Kathy

amanda D.
on 10/28/11 6:03 am - Stayton, OR
I think everyone's recovery is different.  The day OF surgery I was so doped up I don't hardly remember it, The day AFTER surgery the strongest medicine i was on was liquid Ibuprofen (that goes in the IV)  When I left the hospital i was on half a dose of childrens liquid tylenol.  My recovery was pretty easy, I had minimal pain (well except when I'd laugh really hard, or sneeze)

Kelley D.
on 10/28/11 6:12 am
OH! please don't be scared away! My exoerience was NO PAIN!! Never took a drop of pain meds, only felt sore. like I did a ton of sit ups. I was up and walking the halls that day lapping the nurses. Now as for the weight loss, thats up to you and how well you stick to the plan. But I habe lost 97 lbs in 7 months. Blessings on you

Height: 5'8"  Start weight:316 My goal: 190 Surgeons goal:175. reached my goal... 3years out, had some bounce back time to get back on track!

momsy55
on 10/28/11 6:16 am - ME
I'm almost 10 weeks out.  I had an easy recovery.  I took 1/2 dose of pain meds the first night because of gas pains and having some trouble moving in bed.  I never filled the scripts for pain or anti-nausea meds when I went home.  I was up walking around within an hour of getting to my room from recovery.  I had surgery on Monday, was home Wednesday and driving by Friday.  I started drinking fluids when they told me to and it was very slow at first, but not a major problems.  I advanced to mushies at 2 weeks and regular diet at 6, with very few problems.  I don't think my experience was unusual.  As others have said, everyone is different, but most of the posts I've read after people have had the surgery have been similar to mine.  Good luck!!

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

ready2Bhealthy2
on 10/28/11 6:41 am
I am only 2.5 weeks out and I had a HORRIBLE time the first week.  However, we are all different and with that being said I DO not regret this surgery.  People like me get on here and post because we (at least I) need someone I can talk to that can somewhat relate.  My friends and family have no idea what I am going through, but my OH family does.  I have been obese for well over 10 years and before that my weight was always a struggle.  The pain I have gone through is worth the healthy life I am looking forward to.  As of this morning I am taking liquid tylenol and back to work full time.  Please don't let the fear of pain stop you from having a healthier life.
HW286/SW269/1mo-20lbs/2 mo-9lbs/3 mo-10lbs

1st Goal - Loss of 50lbs
(deactivated member)
on 10/28/11 7:42 am
You must do what you feel is best for you and no one can guarantee a specific surgery experience, but I had NO pain at all after surgery and went to a state fair the very next day.  I walked for three miles on day three.  This has been the very best thing I could have done for myself and I am eternally happy that I did not walk away from this opportunity.  I too was terrified the night before surgery and almost cried as I walked to the operating room.  I would have skipped and sang songs if I had known how awesome this would all turn out.  Take a look at my before and after pictures, the difference was about six months.  Hooray for me!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 399 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 426 views