Infection is back

Ms. Poker Face
on 10/31/11 8:57 am
I am 4.5 months post op, doing well, everything going along great... EXCEPT for the c diff infection I acquired in the hospital when I got surgery.  Ugh.  Seriously that has been one of the most trying things I've ever been through.  I've been through 4 courses of treatment, endless doctor visits & stool samples and am sick of it (literally).  So today, three weeks after finishing my last treatment, my symptoms have returned.  I took a stool sample in and started more meds.  

I've been on Flagyl (it didn't work and I found out I'm allergic), Vancomycin (three times - obviously not working) and Rifamaxin once in combination with Vanco.  And I still have it.  So I'm not sure what they will treat me with next.  For now, I'm on Vanco to take away the symptoms until we can confirm I indeed have it again and we can decide on a better course of treatment.  There's not many treatment options left unfortunately.

Looking for prayers!  Thanks for letting me vent.

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

janielynne
on 10/31/11 9:10 am
WOW...So sorry to hear this.  C-diff is not fun !!!!   We have enough bowel issues after surgery with out adding this to the mix.   I wish you all the best ,and hope that you are able to find the right meds to control it...

keep us posted

Jane

Katie S.
on 10/31/11 9:13 am
VSG on 02/23/11 with
I'm so sorry you're still suffering with this. Have you heard about this yet?

http://vitals.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/10/20/8419332-sounds-gross-works-great-fecal-transplants-cure-nasty-c-diff-infections
Ms. Poker Face
on 10/31/11 9:25 am
Yes, I have heard about it.  My infectious disease doctor doesn't do them but will refer me to someone who does as a last resort.  At this point, I'm willing to do almost anything.  Thanks for posting it!

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

ib40
on 10/31/11 11:59 am
A good friend suffered with c-diff for months. She was finally put on a maintenance dose of something (sorry, don't remember what medication) for several years to kill it off. She was eventually able to wean off of the medication after several years. It was the only thing that worked for her.
Hislady
on 10/31/11 12:24 pm - Vancouver, WA
I know it won't cure it but nurses told me when I was in with pneumonia to be sure to eat at least one carton of yogurt every day to help keep me from getting c-diff. It couldn't hurt and maybe? will help. Sorry you are having so much trouble with it, not fun!
windyacres
on 10/31/11 3:01 pm - Garner, NC
 No great suggestions, but I just want to offer my sympathy.

Edie
Approved 8-1-11, Surgery 8-22-11  SW 231, Goal 140, CW 165

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 63 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 246 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 314 views