My plan. What is my plan?

Mermaid7
on 11/8/11 12:33 pm
I agree with all the wise sleevers and successful sleevers on this forum: I must have a plan.  But what is my plan?  Evidence someone who failed weigh****chers at least 4 times.  That's why I am going through weight loss surgery.  My surgery is scheduled for Nov. 16th.  I find my self in a weird twilight zone kind of a place right now.  I wonder if it is all real.  If I can ma\ke it real this time.  I've even been saying good bye to foods by eating things I haven't eaten in 11 months.  This surprised me.  I'd given up packaged processed foods only to find myself eating them as soon as I had a surgery date.  I guess I slipped and have lost a little faith in myself.  I don't have a plan.  I suppose I say to my self "be moderate".  But I never have been so how can I expect normalcy now? Or after the 16th?
Anyone with a sure fire plan want to share their plan with me?

Lisa D.
on 11/8/11 12:51 pm - New Orleans, LA
Your surgeon and your NUT will give you a plan.  You should already have it and be getting stuff ready for post op.  If you don't have that info, call the office and make an appt before surgery to get all of your questions answered and  a food plan in writing.  You are about to do the best thing you have ever done for yourself.  Congratulations!
I am not big boned!  Bones don't jiggle!         

Happy966
on 11/8/11 1:12 pm

For me, following a plan has been way easier after surgery than before.  I am satisfied on a lot less food, which really helps following a plan. 

As for plans, there is a lot of variability in what various doctors recommend during the healing phase, where you gradually add foods back into your diet after surgery.  After you're cleared for all foods (5-8 weeks, depending), many vets recommend 600-800 calories (less at the beginning), 70+ g of protein and less than 40 g of carbs.  Plus, at least 64 oz of water.

What is just as important to me is recording what I eat on a regular basis. 

OK, for me, I think *having* a plan is almost as important as *what* the plan is.  I don't mean, a plan of 3,000 liquid calories a day is as good as the one I described above.  But it is a lifelong struggle for me, and my willingness to commit to *some* plan of eating is really critical for my long-term success.  Sometimes people feel like they have to find the "perfect" plan, when sometimes what's needed is the willingness to *follow* a plan. 

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

katier825
on 11/8/11 5:59 pm
On November 8, 2011 at 9:12 PM Pacific Time, Happy966 wrote:

For me, following a plan has been way easier after surgery than before.  I am satisfied on a lot less food, which really helps following a plan. 

As for plans, there is a lot of variability in what various doctors recommend during the healing phase, where you gradually add foods back into your diet after surgery.  After you're cleared for all foods (5-8 weeks, depending), many vets recommend 600-800 calories (less at the beginning), 70+ g of protein and less than 40 g of carbs.  Plus, at least 64 oz of water.

What is just as important to me is recording what I eat on a regular basis. 

OK, for me, I think *having* a plan is almost as important as *what* the plan is.  I don't mean, a plan of 3,000 liquid calories a day is as good as the one I described above.  But it is a lifelong struggle for me, and my willingness to commit to *some* plan of eating is really critical for my long-term success.  Sometimes people feel like they have to find the "perfect" plan, when sometimes what's needed is the willingness to *follow* a plan. 

Well said!

You will be having your surgery on my 1 year anniversary date.  I think most of have similar feelings to you before WLS.  It's hard to imagine being able to stick to such a plan, but it is so much easier after than it is before!  Once you start losing weight, your self-confidence will improve and give you the incentive to keep going.  For the first time in my life I thought "I CAN and WILL do it this time!"  And I did.  :)

Just keep in mind that it does require effort on your part.  There will be times your weight loss slows or stalls, but don't give up!  There may be times you gain 1-2 pounds - but don't freak out!  The water content your body holds onto varies all the time.   You just need to keep focusing on sticking to your plan and the weight will start coming off again.  Most lose inches when the scale isn't moving.  Be sure to track your measurements too.  It will give you something positive to focus on when you're ready to throw the scale out the window!  If you aren't doing so already, start tracking your food.  I currently use MyFitnessPal, but also used Sparkpeople early on.  If you start now, you can load in your favorite foods.  It's good to get in the habit early and it will save you time later.  I still log my food and plan to continue even though I met my goal nearly 6 months ago.  It keeps me on track.  I also measure my food because I find I'm not good at eyeballing portions...they seem to grow.

You can do it!  Good luck and keep us posted.
frisco
on 11/8/11 1:21 pm

Moderation is a dangerous word.....

Some can.....most (overweight/obese) can't.......

I didn't moderate till the weight was off and I was firmly into maintenance........doesn't mean I didn't have this or that during weight loss.....means I never pondered long and hard about moderation.

Stuck with my surgeons plan......(a good one) all the way through WL and still consult with him on my eating stratagy.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Kim_M
on 11/8/11 8:36 pm - LaPorte, TX
becareful dont gain or surgery can be postponed they have to move your liver and a fatty one can tear. Stick to good diet have your last hoorah and be done.You are getting close think about that liver the rest will come

First month since VSG 33  2nd 14 lbs 3rd12lbs 4th10lbs 5th10lbs 6th 9lbs 7th 13lbs 8th 13 lbs  9th 2 10th 6 11th bounced 175-180 12th  bounced  13th 2 lb cw(164)      
George B.
on 11/9/11 1:11 am - Miami, FL
Here's the plan my doctor gave me which I followed and lost 100% of my excess weight and have kept it off without a lot of effort.

1. Eat 600-800 calories per day when losing weight and 1,200 calories to maintain
2. Limit carbs to less than 40 grams per day
3. Eat 70-100 gram of protein daily
4. Minimum 64 oz. liquids daily
5. Regular exercise/physical activity
6. Track what you eat ( I use myfitnesspal.com to track calories, carbs, protein, etc.)

Dense protein, limiting carbs and regular physical activity were responsible for me reaching my weight loss goal and maintaining.

Good luck,
George

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 2 replies · 41 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 2 replies · 41 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 195 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 281 views