Dizzyness?

cdarragh
on 11/12/11 2:33 am - Abilene, TX
So I'm a week and a half out and my doctor wants me to stay on a full liquid diet for a full two weeks before I move on to my mushies... However, even though I'm getting my protien and liquid requirements in, the past couple days I have  been getting very dizzy when I stand up...classic 'my body is telling me I need more than what im getting in'. So my question is do yall think that it would be OK to start my mushies a couple days early?? Or at least try something and see how my sleeve reacts with it?? I also havent been able to do my vitamins because I get extremly nausous...even when I take them after drinking a protien shake. And I can definately feel the vitamin deficiency kicking in!
HW: 355 SW: 322 GW: 160 HT: 6'1"

kimbethin
on 11/12/11 2:46 am - CA
Starting mushies early is not the solution to dizziness.  What you are experiencing is known as orthostatic hypotension.  It means your body needs more fluid volume.  That means drink more.  Your stomach is not ready for mushies yet.  Don't ru****  If water is not working for you, try jello, SF popsicles, soup.  The requirements for fluid are a general guide.  You may need more based on your symptoms.  Sometimes the vitamins made me nauseous, especially on an empty stomach.  I did a little better taking them at bedtime after some juice.
putting one foot in front of the other...        
LollyOlly
on 11/12/11 2:47 am - NJ
I had that too and wasn't getting enough electrolytes.  Now I'm on IV therapy for dehydration.  Can you substitute any of your liquids with Vitamin Water or any equivalent?  Also your calorie intake is very low now, you may want to reach out to your surgeons office for additional advice.

emdesq
on 11/12/11 4:17 am
I had intermittent dizzyness for a good four weeks post-op, and it continued after I moved to the mushy foods stage.  I think it was just related to the major surgery and the massive changes my body was undergoing.  I tried to push more fluids, but to be honest, it didn't help.  I am now 10 weeks post-op and the dizzy feelings have been gone for a long time. 

Ready for my world to change!
HW394/SW373/GW Under 200
(deactivated member)
on 11/12/11 4:28 am
I had that very bad early out, it's either lack of fluids, or weakness.. for me it was weakness. When I went for my 3mo Dr visit, I was still having it (but only when bending over for an extended time then standing back up) I was still easily fatigued, and my doc was not concerned as he explained that after major surgery that issue of orthostatic hypotension can take a while to resolve. My labs were good (I track them myself..) 

It went away at about 5mo out for me, about the same time my stamina started to really recover (I was not in good shape going into surgery). Give it time, make sure you are up on your fluids, keep on top of your own labs when the time comes.. and when you stand or before you do- try contracting your thigh and butt muscles to help the issue (it really helps.) 

FYI, I've had this before when I had the flu, and I've also experienced cough syncope, which makes you feel like you will pass out when you cough.. also from severe weakness when sick.. 

Charlie S.
on 11/12/11 5:17 am
I agree that the above issues could be the cause, but I'll offer a different possibility.  However, before I get to that, I will say STICK TO THE PLAN!  Do not start mushies early.  Do not start regular food early!  The Dr has you on a schedule that is proven to work for him/her.  Do not mess witht he plan.  If you stick to it, you will be successful.  It is when you stray from the plan that you risk failure.

Now, onto my experience...  I too had dizziness for a week or so after surgery, and then again several weeks later.  However, mine was not related to hydration or to weakness.  It was blood pressure.  I was on a low dose of blood pressure meds before surgery, and was still taking them after surgery.  During the healing process your body does strange things.  My blood pressure dipped so low that for days straight it was in the 80-90/55-75 range every day.  However, after a few days, it would jump back up to 130's/90's.  Then after a few weeks dipped back down again.  I am not off of my meds completely and find that my dizziness is gone.  But everytime I would get dizzy, I would check my bp and it would be low.  (And my water intake is the same every day so it isn't related to how much I am drinking)

So, if you aren't already doing so, you may want to check your blood pressure to make srue that isn't the problem, ESPECIALLY if you are on BP meds.  

Good luck on your journey and STICK TO THE PLAN!!!!

HW:  429                     SW: 380                Height: 5'08"

Debra P.
on 11/12/11 5:50 am - CA
VSG on 03/15/12
 You need water and lots of it.

lizaj22
on 11/12/11 7:34 am
Hi, I will be 2 weeks out on monday, and i too am having dizziness and  feeling very weak.Also i get like hot flashes or something. I am amazed at how weak i feel.  I don't even feel like going to the store, but will be going back to work next week. UGH! I was wondering if I needed more carbs?I started pureed food last wed, and will start mushy  this wed  and will stay on that for 2 weeks.   Sounds like our bodies all do different things when we are adjusting to this ..

cdarragh
on 11/12/11 7:51 am - Abilene, TX
Thanks everyone for the advice. I think the next couple days I'll try to get in more vitamin water, though I'm not sure where it's gonna go! Lol. I don't think it's my blood pressure. I checked it after the first couple dizzy spells and it was fine but I'll continue to check it. Thanks again everyone!
HW: 355 SW: 322 GW: 160 HT: 6'1"

abrown8434
on 11/12/11 10:20 pm - VA
There will be a lot of changes after surgery but what you described doesn't necessarily mean your body is asking for more of what you're getting. Even if it is, you have to remember that your stomach isn't ready for what your body may be asking. The worse thing you can do is rush your doctor's plan and cause internal damage.

Your vitamin issue may also be part of the problem. Try a different type of vitamin and work with your nutritionist. Don't test the waters at this point; follow the doctor's plan by the book.

Best of luck to you,

HW: 550+     SW: 502      CW: 342.4  SDt: 9/20/11

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."--
Philippians 4:13, KJV

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 282 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 335 views