Soreness after surgery

BETHC500
on 11/12/11 11:55 pm
When does the soreness from surgery start to really go away? Everytime I cough or sneeze it really wows me still. I don't get much sleep yet because I have allergies and I often sneeze or cough at night which wakes me.  Also I still can't lay in bed yet because that ons side still hurts to use for getting up.
ready2Bhealthy2
on 11/13/11 12:04 am
When did you have surgery?  I had surgery 10/17.  Starting Thursday this past week I have started feeling like me.  I am still more comfortable on my couch as it limits the rolling that I do.  However, I am walking, bending, sneezing, and coughing just fine.  I still wrap my arms around my belly every time I sneeze or cough just to minimize any movement.  You may want to take some meds for your allergies to reduce the sneezing and coughing.  If your still in pain, tylenol is a great alternative to the narcotics.  Best of luck.
HW286/SW269/1mo-20lbs/2 mo-9lbs/3 mo-10lbs

1st Goal - Loss of 50lbs
BETHC500
on 11/13/11 12:57 am
I had surgery 11/5, I know it will be at least a couple weeks before I can lay down. I had to call my allergist and they have me on nasonex, claritin, sudafed 12 hr and using the neti pot a few times a day.  I also decided to reduce the dairy intake (no milk in the protein drinks now) because milk seems to help mucus production which causes the drip tickle in my throat. Its much better now. But those first few days after surgery were hell with coughing everytime i rested my head back against the pillow.
ready2Bhealthy2
on 11/13/11 1:07 am
Oh you're even more new than I am.  Yes you are going to hurt.  And just when you think you are ready to get back to normal activity...you are going to hurt again.  I went back to work 2.5 weeks post op.  At first I just felt super sore like someone punched me repeatedly in the stomach then the real pain started.  I was just over doing it.  I got a binder (it wraps around stomach and back and holds everything together) it has been amazing.  Always wear it over a tank top so it doesn't rub on your incisions.  I also got a heating pad that fit across my stomach.  These items along with my liquid tylenol went every where with me.  I just stopped holding my upper left incision while moving this past Thursday.  I finally feel great, but am going to ease back into the gym.  Take your time and don't ru**** if you don't have to.  If I could have afforded 4 weeks off of work that would have been ideal...although ridiculously boring, the healing time would have been perfect.  Best of luck.  Feel free to message me with any questions.  I'm no vet, but I'm experiencing everything right before you are. 

1st Goal - Loss of 50lbs
BETHC500
on 11/13/11 1:12 am
Cool thanks for the info.  Where did you get the binder thing?
ready2Bhealthy2
on 11/13/11 1:16 am
I got mine from the hospital I work at but you can try a medical supply store or a local pharmacy.  Your insurance might cover it if you get your doc to write a script.  Message me so we can chat.

1st Goal - Loss of 50lbs
BETHC500
on 11/15/11 3:55 pm

Im not sure how to message on here.

tillmadd
on 11/13/11 12:54 am - WI
 My surgery was 11/7 and the wounds still hurt a bit especially the large one but I have 8 incisions!
i am still taking pain meds less frequently, and holding my tummy when I sneeze, take meds before sleep and I am knocked out in bed no problems. I think you surgery was right before mine.
HW 314    SW 297 Thanks for the season Packers! 15-2!!
**CW 234 month 1-23 month 2-14 month 3-13 month 4-11 

BETHC500
on 11/13/11 1:02 am
yes mine was 11/5. its getting better each day. But I miss laying down on my side in bed to sleep. I am sleeping in a recliner at this point due to the combination of soreness and post nasal drip allergies (they showed up the day after surgery ughh... )  that makesme cough when I lay my head down or back against the pillow.  I have 7 incisions. Its funny but in the hospital the nurses counted only 6. But when I removed the heart monitor sticky things at the hospital in prep to go home, I found one had been covered. 
karenmac3
on 11/13/11 2:04 am - Dunlap, IL
Hi Beth!
My sleeve was 11/8...I've been able to sleep in bed with lots of pillows. I've got allergies too, and found my first couple days at home I was dripping and sneezing a bunch. My theory? I didn't get to take my allergy meds between Monday and Thursday. Now that I'm back to my usual for a few days, I'm feeling a lot better. Hope it's something as (relatively) easy as this.
 38 yrs old, 5'8"   HW: 338   SW: 307.2   CW: 235.0

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 272 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views