Always cold! And calves cramping

Ms. Poker Face
on 11/18/11 8:31 am
OK, so two things.  One is a vent and one is a question.

I am always cold now!  Seriously, I hate this part of losing weight.  I guess my insulation is gone.  And I'm constantly struggling to be warm.   I still love my sleeve though!

And my calves have been cramping on and off for the past week or two.  Dehydration and potassium come to mind, but I do really well getting my fluids in.  And I just had my labs done and potassium was fine.  Any other ideas what this could be??

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

mrs_smith615
on 11/18/11 8:35 am - Raleigh, NC
Any swelling in your legs?
Ms. Poker Face
on 11/18/11 8:39 am
Nope.  No other symptoms going on either.  It's both calves about equally.  When one cramps, so does the other.  Sometimes while I'm standing or walking, other times while I'm lying in bed.

Nancy B.
on 11/18/11 8:41 am - Bridge City, TX
VSG on 08/27/11 with
I have noticed an achiness in my calves and backs of my thighs...not really a cramping. It started out when I would lay down at night, but then got to where it was going on during the day, also. I mentioned it to my PCP when I went in for bloodwork, and she started talking about iron levels....so that might be another possibility.  I wish I knew for sure that's what it was, but it's been 4 weeks and I still haven't heard from her. :-/  I picked up my results after waiting 2 weeks and being told that she hadn't reviewed them yet.  My Iron Sats were a little low, and my Vitamin D was 1 pt away from being low....but I couldn't tell you what that means, since my doc hasn't told ME, yet.

lol...Ok, guess I had a rant, too.  In the meantime, though, I HAVE switched to a Centrum Chewable vitamin that has Iron in it....my previous one didn't.  And I haven't been noticing the achiness as often. 
-Nancy 

HW 238    Starting Weight 227   Surgery Weight 212   CW 155
Height 5'5"            Lost 9 lbs. pre-op, and another 6 lbs. on the liquid diet.
Ms. Poker Face
on 11/18/11 8:48 am
 Thanks!  At least it's not just me.  My iron levels were great on my recent labs.  BUT, my vitamin D was low and my PCP put me on a prescription Vit D supplement in addition to my OTC one.  Maybe that's what's causing this?

gonersmom
on 11/18/11 8:54 am
Low levels of calcium and magnesium can also cause leg cramps. I too am going through the coldest winter I've ever had and it's just starting! My legs cramp fairly often too, especially wen sleeping. Darn charlie horses!! I usually go have a glass of milk and try to walk it out. It seems to help.

Best wishes in this journey.

Let me help you with bariatric friendly cooking.  www.pamperedchef.biz/gawnecooking
Ms. Poker Face
on 11/18/11 9:01 am
 I'll have to go back and review my lab work and see if calcium and magnesium are on there.  Thanks for the info!

Hopefully I acclimate to the cold and feel it less severely than I have thus far this year.  Congrats, by the way, on your 100 lbs lost!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mrs_smith615
on 11/18/11 9:51 am - Raleigh, NC
Not to scare you. I started getting constant cramps in my calves. There was no swelling, so first doctor just tried to tell me it was nothing. After a week my husband bought me to the ER, and guess what..there was a blood clot. Apparently my body had redundant veins (think I am saying that right) so I didnt swell, since the blood just went another way, but I did end up on blood thinners and found out that I have a blood clotting disorder. Be safe and check with your Dr.

Ms. Poker Face
on 11/18/11 10:02 am
Thanks for sharing your experience.  Did you have cramps in both calves or just one?  WOuld you describe it as pain, cramping or aching?

mrs_smith615
on 11/18/11 10:29 am - Raleigh, NC
It was predominately in one leg, but I did sometimes feel it in the other leg. It was just like a leg cramp, that's why it took so long for me to go to the ER. Since then I have had 3 other clots, and all of them start out the same way, a little bit of cramping in my leg, but no swelling.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 65 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 247 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 314 views