SLEEVED 11/21/11

Miluska32
on 11/25/11 12:46 am - NJ

So I was sleeved on Monday and I think I am hungry! Can anyone tell me if they ate anything a few days out of surgery?  I have been able to keep all my liquids down without any problems.  I tried applesauce yesterday.  I want to try and eat something a little heavier as I feel I am having serious hunger pains!!!!  The stitches really don't hurt I have not been on pain meds since 11/22.  Can anyone give me suggestions on what I could try to eat??

Your help is appreciated.

Ms. Poker Face
on 11/25/11 12:58 am
What does your surgeon's plan say you can eat at this stage?  Mine required liquids for two weeks post op and that's what I stuck to.  Since you are only 5 days out, I highly recommend you stick to liquids to let your tummy heal.  Eating beyond your "stage" could result in leaks or other complications, regardless of how good you feel.

Are you on a PPI?  If not, they can reduce hunger from stomach acid.

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

lmreadynow
on 11/25/11 2:09 am
 First of all, congrats!!  Hope you're feeling good otherwise.  l felt hungry for the month or so.  Especially starting around day 3 or so.  l even woke up hungry.  So, l had a bit of protein shake (made with milk) before bed for a couple of nights.  That helped big time.  Now l'm ok, and don't get the crazy hunger pains.  l still get hungry, but as long as l eat every 3-4 hours l'm good.  Sometimes it's just plain old thirst.  l also agree  - take your acid reducer!  lt helps alot. My dr has me taking one every 12 hrs.  

Can you handle yogurt? No sugar added/preferably Greek. l could from day 2... also l was allowed a bit of stage 1 baby food mixed into my broth.  

Good luck, and can't wait to hear about your sucess!!

HW291  SW279  l'm 5'7"        
Miluska32
on 11/25/11 2:26 am - NJ
Thanks so much for the suggestions!  My doctor never told me about Acid Reducers.  Can I buy it over the counter?? Can you recommend one I can buy over the counter?  I am also going to try the protein shake later on today for dinner.  But yes, the acid is what is hurting.  I didn't know how to put it into words but I know I feel some sort of stored burp or something in my chest.  I'm not in any pain but more of discomfort.  I want to put something with Little more substance in my belly.  I think my stomach can handle it.  I don't want to pu**** but I think I can handle it.

I also haven't started on my thyroid medications since I need food with my medicine,  Did you start on vitamins right away?  I have my follow Dr. visit on Thursday and I see the nutritionist the same day so I could run it by her too. 

Thanks so much for you quick response!!!
lmreadynow
on 11/26/11 10:54 am
 So sorry it took me so long - today was my birthday, so l've been busy!! =)

l take Prilosec otc, but they told me the brand doesn't matter, but l'm sure there are alot of opinions on this forum!    lt really does help. l can tell if l'm a bit late taking it.  You certainly can get it over the counter.  l started my vitamins immediately after surgery. Chewable Centrum (with iron, store brand) and  calcium. lf you take a multiple without iron, you probably need to supplement the iron. All over the counter.  Celebrate makes wonderful vitamins, as does Bariatric Advantage.  Search vitalady on here - you'll get a ton of good advice.  For this time, you just need to focus on your fluids, protein and vitamins. lt gets so much easier as you go along.  Cottage cheese is really awesome at this time, as well as the ricotta bake from www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com . Check out her website - she is a bypass patient that has THE best blog.  She shares tons & tons of advice and recipes.  Let me know if l can be of any more help, ok?!

HW291  SW279  l'm 5'7"        
(deactivated member)
on 11/25/11 3:37 am - Joliet, IL
I was sleeved on the 21st also.  This is the first day I am starting to feel half way normal.  No joke this is a rough surgery.  My doc said to start pured foods on Friday  I started Thursday night.  I have been eating about a spoon or two of scrambled eggs.  I tryed to puree ham with gravy  I ate about a spoon.  It was gross.  Tonight I will have a spoon or two of cooked hamburger mixed with brown gravy.  I did try a spoon of ricotta cheese and sprinkled splenda and cinnamon on top.  It was delicious.  The hard part is waiting 90 minutes to get to start drinking again.  I am looking for some more food ideas.  I bought some can crab.  I may try that tomorrow mixed with mayonaise
(deactivated member)
on 11/25/11 7:32 am, edited 11/25/11 10:07 am
Do you still have your discharge orders and the handouts from you pre-op classes? I'm sure you must have some specific instructions as to what you should and should not be doing.  Why would you want to risk the entire surgery just to feel a small amount of satisfaction? Regardless of where we are in the surgery process, we all will need to learn to practice much more self control than we have in the past.  To risk injuring yourself just to eat something seems contrary to everything we need to do to be healthy.
FancyRoses
on 11/26/11 11:19 pm - Lower Sackville, Canada
oh my god buddy4u you are seriously eating real food?  I am on clear liquids for 10 days and then on day 11 creamed soups and soft mushies then on day 17 try introducing other foods.  I'm not sure if its hunger or just the jello or water moving down my pipes.  I did want some of what my son was eating last night so i put the tiniest piece in my mouth chewed it like a mad woman and spit it out, i am unsure if i really wanted it after i chewed it to death LOL.  enjoy your ride all 
My goals to a healthy me            
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 73 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 273 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views