5 Month Progress with Pictures

Carly ~
on 11/30/11 4:34 am
 It's been awhile since I posted on here, I am 5 months out from being sleeved!
I feel fantastic!  I am down 82 lbs, taking me into the 200s!!!   I've lost 86 inches overall. 

I'm not noticing a big difference in clothing sizes yet, but I was so far out of the largest plus size clothes it took losing at least 50 lbs to get into size 28s again.  I've lost over two sizes in shoes, used to wear a men's 10 for width to accommodate the swelling/fat, now a woman's 9.5.

I wear some size 24s, some size 22s, some 2x and 3x.  It's all over the place, and fit into an XL stretch work out pant from Old Navy!!  First time I could ever wear clothes from a regular store, even if it's their high end sizes!  Clothing is so frustrating, because sizing is so vastly inconsistent.  Even within the same store, sizing is crazy different.

My body will definitely have issues with saggy tummy and saggy bewbies, but I honestly don't care at this moment.  It bothers me sometimes when trying on pants, because they're too big in the arse and legs, for what size I need to accommodate my stomach.  

I have so much more energy, I don't have the pain and poor mobility.  The seatbelt in my car fits, and I can sit in booths in restaurants, and smaller chairs with arms.  

I'm losing quite a bit of hair, and getting in all the protein I need most days. I'm thinking about a shorter haircut, but not sure how that will work.  For now, I think because I have naturally curly hair, it helps to mask the hair loss.  I'm scared if I go shorter, I'll have to straighten it to style it so it doesn't look like an afro, and then you'll see how thin it really is.  I can clip up my entire hair in a small little girl clip.   I will be buying some biotin soon, for sure... if it's not too late to start.

I'm not hardcore and do not boycott carbs.  I do my best to get protein in first most meals, and most days I get 60g of protein in.  My calories range from 600 to 800 daily.

I do allow myself a treat from time to time, but my tastes and tolerances have so drastically changed.  Things that used to be my food addiction, I can not tolerate, or can't stand the smell of.  
I still have issues with seeing the difference in weight loss.  When I look in the mirror, it's all fucky.  I see myself the same as I was at my highest weight.  When I look at side by side photos, I can see a difference.  

I still pick up clothes size 5x, and think in my head that it won't go near me.  I pick up clothes that I'm wearing now, and think I brought in the wrong load of laundry from the laundry room, and have someone else's clothes instead of mine.  I don't know when my head will ever catch up with the changes my body is having.  

I just saw my surgeon for a follow-up appointment.  He said at this point, I've lost 20% of my excess weight loss.  He considers 30% excess weight loss a success, and that will be another 40 lbs to reach that point.  I don't want this to end at 30%.  Hearing him say that rattled me a bit.  He explained that from a medical standpoint, with losing 30% excess weight, I would have drastically reduced my chance of getting another disease associated with obesity.  From his medical standpoint, that would be considered a success.

I'm there, and I guess once I'm at that point where my health has tremendously been improved, the vanity will kick in and I'll want to lose more weight to become closer to an average size person.  I'll keep you posted on how that plays out : )

I love my sleeve, and my surgeon and his team for giving me my life back.

Pre-op December 2010 and 3 months post-op

5 Months Post Op - November 2011

NIQAABI
on 11/30/11 4:41 am
Lookin good, Lookin good!!!

Daisy_Rose
on 11/30/11 4:58 am
 Wow - what an excellent post.  I am so grateful to have read it and relate to much of it.  Bless you and take care.  Keep moving forward, you are doing great.
MandiSandi
on 11/30/11 5:09 am - United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm having my op in Jan 2011 and I was wondering how quick did it take for you to start losing weight?

I had my pre op consultation, a few weeks ago and at first the surgeon told me I wasn't big enough - I'm 5ft 7" with a BMI or 44.  Admittedly, because of my height I carry it well but regardless i need to lose the weight!  So eventually he relented and agreed to do the surgery.  He said that it should be quite easy to lose, but I wanted to know from some one who has had the operation as to how long it took till you saw the weight start to drop off?

Rgds
MandiSandi
on 11/30/11 5:11 am - United Kingdom
btw the way, i'm currently a size 22/24 and as an initial target want to get to a size 16
Carly ~
on 11/30/11 2:29 pm
 I had a much higher BMI starting out (I think it was mid 60s), and I'm shorter, so my excess weight would be more.

I lost really fast in the beginning.  At my 6 week check up I was down 35 lbs.  
It seems to be like going downwards on stairs with lots of landings...   a quick large drop down, then tapers off.

At 6 weeks, down 35 lbs total.
At 3 months, down 65 lbs total.
At 5 months, down 80 lbs total.

Your WL may not be that drastic because you're starting where I am not even at yet.. lol  If you know what I mean.  

bunnymom
on 11/30/11 5:49 am
OH! sooo fantastic you are now in the 2's! Congrats! Just keep on a goin girl--soon it will be the 1's. I know what you mean about not really feeling thinner yet. I am down 125 pounds and still don't look in the mirror or go to stores and buy tons of new clothes. I am buying just enough to get me to goal, then maybe I can rejoice in my new look, but mentally, I am just not there yet. (7 more pounds till I am normal BMI of 25.) But I want to get down to a BMI in the low 20's. The brain is a funny thing...
Bunnymom            
Carly ~
on 11/30/11 2:32 pm
Thanks for your comments/compliment!
That's so awesome Bunny..That's a celebration all in itself -- a BMI in the normal range!

How far out are you from your surgery?  I'm wearing a lot of hand-me-downs for sure.  Haven't splurged on any new outfits for myself yet.  My stomach area is a real issue, and I don't feel like trying on clothes yet... It's still frustrating to me : )

125 lbs gone is a huge milestone!  I can't imagine being in the 100s.. the 200s are so high 200s, I just say I'm still 300 lbs.  I think I'll celebrate in the lower 200s.. and maybe finally admit to myself how amazing this is, and how well it's working : )

You're doing awesome on your journey.. all the best for continued success!

BuckeyeGirl
on 11/30/11 5:54 am - TN
Goodbye 300s!!!!

Congrats,
Lindsey

percheron
on 11/30/11 6:08 am
What a wonderful post to share.  Congratulations on our loss, that is wonderful and has to just feel amazing.  You are truly and inspiration!!  Thank again for sharing, great read!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views