WHAT WAS I THINKING???

ShirleyShanahan
on 12/8/11 1:29 am - VA
 I admit it; I'm scared.   At less than a week out from my sleeve, I'm doing terrific. I've not thrown up at all and have been able to tolerate just about anything. SO, What did I DO last night??? I not only had cream of wheat (about 2 oz) for dinner last night, I ended up going out with my husband and son to a local restaurant to watch sports, and I ate about a teaspoon's worth of chicken. I chewed and chewed it up about a hundred time, and it was fine. I then woke up this morning so scared thinking," WHAT DID YOU DO?" I started having thoughts like, "my body is trying to heal. What if the chicken gets lodged in the internal part of my stomach that was stapled. What if I get an infection; this could be dangerous. The surgeons and nutritionists put me on a special diet to heal." 

Since I didn't get sick from it, should I just take this as a lessons learned and stop the non-sense, or should I fess up and call the doctor? I feel zero pain and I didn't get sick. I've already promised myself to NEVER, EVER cheat again.

Chris Waffle
on 12/8/11 1:36 am - Cypress, CA
I'm not sure how many replies you're going to get scolding you but it sounds like you already know what you did. My advice is follow your doctor's plan exactly.  Today is a new day.  If you are feeling fine, I don't think there's any need to call anyone.
frenchgrapes
on 12/8/11 1:38 am, edited 12/8/11 1:39 am - TX
Hi, Shirley,
I had my sleeve on Monday the 5th and have been super well since then - off all my meds, no complications, no nausea, still a little gas and sore in the middle. Today was the first day I could have full liquids and I've started out with a protein shake. If all goes well, I can advance my diet after I see my doctor this coming Monday - 7 days after my surgery - which could include very well chewed meats.

Don't know what diet your doctor put you on but being a week out from your surgery you may be right about on time to advance your diet a little. More than likely you would have already felt it if there was a problem. However, to relieve the stress - which is going to do a lot of harm to you - you can always call your doctor's office and tell them what you did and mention how you are feeling.

And, yeah, follow your doctor's plan for you.  They make these plans based on their experience and knowledge so they aren't just arbitrary plans even though they may differ from doctor to doctor. 

When are you going for a follow up visit and talk to your doctor about advancing your diet?
    CW 278 SW 260 GW 140    
sueannspencer
on 12/8/11 1:46 am - Carrollton, TX
I'm pretty sure you're not the first patient to go off the plan, so to speak. I think we all did at one time or another, in fact. I think you'll be fine. Just remember how you feel today BEFORE you do it again. And look forward to the day when chicken is on your menu.

anninva
on 12/8/11 2:06 am - Arlington, VA
VSG on 01/10/11 with
awwww, shirley, be kind to yourself.  you ate the chicken, it's out of your stomach by now (i'm not a doc, but that just makes digestive sense) and you would probably have barfed it right back up if your stomach couldn't tolerate it.

so:  call the doc if it will make you feel better; that's what they are there for!

like everyone has said, you're not the first or the last and now you know you don't want to
        do it again

AND

you are human, you're a good human, and you're just at the very start of learning how to *drive*     your new stomach!

(((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))

Ann             LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat           

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

BariBariHappy
on 12/8/11 3:45 am - MI
You don't have to call the doctor.

But I would say you should get back on the bandwagon and follow the diet plan your doctor/nutritionist gave you. I was on liquids from Day 3 to Day 14. You need choices so try and have protein soups, protein gelatins, greek yogurt, etc. Day 14 to Day 28 I was on Pureed Foods. Then I went to Soft Foods and now I'm eating regular foods.

It's been a very non-eventful surgery and I can eat basically anything I want. But you should remember that you are still healing...this is the time you can loose a ton of weight so don't be playing roulette with your sleeve. You wanted to do this so stick with it. Be very, very strong and don't let anyone sway you. It will thank you in the long run.

Best of luck! 
   HW: 291 • SW: 260 • CW: 196 • GW: 145            

Marcia B.
on 12/8/11 4:32 am - CA
If you have had no problems just go back to your doctor's plan :) I don't know if you are on liquids or purees, but when I was on purees I didn't puree much I just chewed it to a pureed stage and the doctor and nut both said that was fine.  That I should just be sure to chew very very well.  Good luck and get back on the wagon so to speak :)
Philippians 4:13 -  I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

BethR311
on 12/8/11 10:07 am - Fort Wayne, IN
I'll cop, I ate fish when I was about ten days out. It just smelled soooooooo good and tasted like heaven after 3 1/2 weeks of non food. I gave myself hell and submitted to my nut's concerned lecture. Stay in touch with your nut and if you keep feeling good, see if you can try something with more protein and flavor.

Hang in there, this is not an easy process!

Open yourself to possibility and possibility will present itself.
rhearob
on 12/8/11 11:37 am - TN
 Like you I was stupid too about 1 week out.  I was showing someone how to make caprese salad.  I decided to take about a teaspoon of Balsamic Vinegar (I have been known to drink it straight).  Unlike you I wound up vomiting.  I could have caused a leak, and I knew it.  My one week checkup was the next day.  I was up front with my surgeon.  He told me not to be stupid again (my words not his).

It happens.  And as we go forward, we will all fall off of our diets.  The trick is to be honest with our surgeons, nutritionists, and exercise physiologists.  They are there to help us and they cant do that if we hide stuff and are not honest with them.

Luckily, my stupididty didnt cause any damage and I am still on track.  That said, we should all do everything we can to follow our plans and do what our doctors tell us.  Not because they tell us, but because its what we need to do for ourselves.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 270 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views