husband said I have no will power so is this surgery the right one for me?

AMoody
on 12/8/11 10:04 am - Mayville, MI
VSG on 02/06/12
While talking to my hubby this am, he said that I have no will power, which I guess I dont, so that got me wondering, maybe I should have th RNY instead of the sleeve? This way if I do eat it wont all stick.  Did anyone who got the sleeve do it and didnt have any will power? For instance, my husband said instead of having only 2 pieced of toast I had 4..whatcha all think?

H.W 247 L.W 170 C.W 238 G.W 145

LaToya S.
on 12/8/11 10:08 am - Edwardsville, IL
But with either surgery you will be in pain if you over eat, I am one of those people who LOVES bread and will have 4 pieces of toast compared to 2. The RNY or VSG is not going to stop you from wanting the bread...I want it now....
Good Luck!

LaToya
www.youtube.com/user/lmscrogg

Twitter: @ScrogginsFamily  

MsLove01
on 12/8/11 10:13 am - WA
The RNY has a higher rate of complications and longer recovery time. Howeever they have virtually the same outcomes. The sleeve just does not have the same number of years of data.
With that said...I have no will power. I have been overweight for 20 years and have lost and gained a million times. The wonderful thing about the sleeve is I have lost my desire for sweets and you really truely are full after a few bites. It is impossible to over eat. If you do you will throw up...do that a few times and you'll learn. I am no longer focused on food, i am not spending the evenings eating and eating. I can go out to lunch with friends and be totally satisfied with a cup of soup.

You do have to keep up on your water and protein. But I find I had to put together a schedule..otherwise I probably wouldn't eat at all. For example i only had 350 cal today and 50 grams of protein. I have to get in another meal shortly and I really don't want to.

Good luck!!!!
Marlene

Winnie_the_Pooh
on 12/8/11 7:16 pm
What study do you haveto base your complication rate and recovery time superiority?  I see many people going back to work in less than a week with an RNY?

Winnie

MsLove01
on 12/9/11 3:32 am - WA
I went to a WLS seminar prior to making my decision. I had already decided on the RNY and new nothing about the sleeve. The RNY requires an additional day in the hospital, additional time off work, has a higher death/complication rate and has the malnutrition. If you look at the newbie FAQs you will find the same information.
http://vsgfaq.wordpress.com/

The decision is up to the individual, they need to research and talk with their surgeon. This is the reason I made my decision.
Marlene

USAF Wife
on 12/8/11 10:15 am
Considering that the malabsorption (the calories/carbs/fat/sugars) not sticking with you only last 2 years. It's called intestinal adaptation and it happens with intestinal bypass surgeries. So, regardless of which surgery you choose, if you don't put in the work, none of them will work for you long term. You'll lose weight with either, but keeping it off with any of the surgeries is all up to you and the choices you make on what you put in your mouth. So, you RNY you are going to choose a lifetime of nutrient and vitamin malabsorption for 2 years of calorie malabsorption, or no vitamin/nutrient malabsorption, make the positive changes that you'll have to make with either surgery, and have a normal stomach and no medication restrictions with VSG.

I think you have to be willing to look at any surgery as a complete change in behaviors and relationship with foods. No matter which one you choose, you have to be ready to make those changes for the rest of your life. None of the surgeries are bulletproof and none of them operate on our brains, it's all on us at the end of the day.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Ms. Poker Face
on 12/8/11 10:18 am
None of the surgeries for weight loss change our mental relationship with food.  

But, the sleeve will severely restrict your intake.  I had no willpower before VSG, but now I've got a great tool to help me eat less!  I can only eat a few oz at a time.  Plus, the hunger I used to feel is largely gone.  That helps a ton.  Plus, I'm in counseling for the mental part.

The combo of all of those things is helping me change my lifestyle so I can be healthy for a long long time.

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

kimbethin
on 12/8/11 10:22 am - CA
We ALL want 4 pieces of toast, especially when someone else is making it for themselves, it smells so good!  That's why we are here.  Somehow having VSG helped be develop will power that I clearly didn't have before.  My surgeon said the surgery itself was 10 of what I needed to succeed the rest was up to me.  With any WLS you need to make a lot of lifestyle changes.  The malabsorption may help you lose faster, but the complications of malabsorption were not anything I want to deal with.  Read a lot from both the VSG and the RNY board and ask a lot of questions and give it a lot of thought.  I'm a nurse and started thinking about WLS in 1995 and I waited until now for the VSG because it seems to have the best quality of life afterward.  Good luck making your choice!
putting one foot in front of the other...        
AMoody
on 12/8/11 10:32 am - Mayville, MI
VSG on 02/06/12
But my past record shows that I havent changed.. I have lost hunderds of pounds and gained them all back and then some. I have never been "normal" weight, was in size 16 in 6th grade. The only time I have EVER been somewhat thin was when I was using drugs(cocaine) and even then I only got down to 170 pounds.  I have been clean for 22 years now.;  So maybe my hubby is right, maybe I shouldnt have any surgery..Have you ever been sick and tired of being sick and tired? Im so tired of this weight loss fight, that I have been loosing.  I have been fighting it my whole life...I was just so excited about being appoved for surgery and then my husband says something that starts me thinking that maybe I shouldnt have surgery, I have failed at dieting before...I was hoping this time it would be diffrent

H.W 247 L.W 170 C.W 238 G.W 145

New_me2011
on 12/8/11 2:01 pm - NY
VSG on 02/14/12
On December 8, 2011 at 6:32 PM Pacific Time, AMoody wrote:
But my past record shows that I havent changed.. I have lost hunderds of pounds and gained them all back and then some. I have never been "normal" weight, was in size 16 in 6th grade. The only time I have EVER been somewhat thin was when I was using drugs(cocaine) and even then I only got down to 170 pounds.  I have been clean for 22 years now.;  So maybe my hubby is right, maybe I shouldnt have any surgery..Have you ever been sick and tired of being sick and tired? Im so tired of this weight loss fight, that I have been loosing.  I have been fighting it my whole life...I was just so excited about being appoved for surgery and then my husband says something that starts me thinking that maybe I shouldnt have surgery, I have failed at dieting before...I was hoping this time it would be diffrent
 You say that you have been clean from cocaine for 22 years!!?? Cocaine is a highly addictive drug and I am certain that it takes tremendous willpower to decide to "get clean" and remain clean for 22 years!  I agree with Kimbethin- its up to you to determine who you are and what you are capable of, it's not for ANYONE to tell you who you are. Being sick and tired of being sick and tired is the first step towards curing any addiction-drugs or food or anything else- and just about everyone seeking or getting any type of  weigh loss surgery has had some amount of lack of will power in the past-that's how we've gotten to this point!. This time CAN be different, the choice is yours, I heard this quote "you are the only author of the only dictionary that defines who you are"!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 270 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views