Anyone considering going from sleeve to RNY?

M. Walker
on 12/13/11 12:02 am
DS on 02/12/13
I am contemplating having the RNY now. I have stalled for 3 months at 106 pounds lost. Can't get past that mark. Need to loose another 100 pounds. Getting very frustrated.

landdnurse2
on 12/13/11 12:09 am - Midwest City, OK
The optimum surgery is to now find someone to do a DS. Congratulations on your 106 pound weight loss!

HW 321 (9/08) SW 312 (1/11)  Pre-op 280 (11/1) Surgery 270 (12/11)
VegasLAbound
on 12/13/11 12:11 am - Cleveland, OH
I would replace a meal with a double scoop whey protein shake and just cut back on any bad eating. If you're not losing weight i'm sure there is a reason why and stalls don't last that long unless contributed to.Sorry for being so blunt but its always something that can be improved on.

kimbethin
on 12/13/11 12:33 am - CA
I would agree with Vegas.. Re-evaluate your eating, exercise water and protein intake.  Can you make an appointment with your nutritionist?  Do a sit down with one full week of food diaries and be really honest.  If you are working all aspects of the plan, I would consider the DS.  The VSG is the first step in the DS process.  I believe they leave the sleeve as is, but add intestional re-routing.  Chek out the DS board.  You will probably find others who have been in your situation and have some good advice for you.  Good luck!
putting one foot in front of the other...        
Ms Shell
on 12/13/11 12:33 am - Hawthorne, CA
Definitely don't give up.  What have you tried in those 3 months?  What are you eating?  Are you eating more carbs/grazing etc?  What's your calorie intake, protein/carbs/fat/fiber?  How much are you moving?

Also just because of anatomy and my research I would get the DS long before the RnY...

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

califsleevin
on 12/13/11 12:46 am - CA
I would agree with landdnurse that at this point the DS is the better approach - if you talk to the people over on the DS board, they don't even consider it a revision, but rather a completion as the VSG is the first part of a DS. In general, the RNY doesn't offer much better weight loss performance than the VSG, if there's any difference at all, but comes at a much higher cost in lifestyle and medical treatment limitations while the DS does offer statitistacally better weight loss and regain resistance than either. In short, if you are having problems losing with the VSG, you are likely to have the same problems with the RNY.

You have made good progress so far, and there are things that can be done to break stalls and get back on track again. which is covered in other threads and maybe you want to address those issues separately. You are right, however, to consider other options including additional surgical intervention at this point, as my surgeon's experience has been that the revision/completions work best if they are done before any substantial regain occurs - things are much harder and with poorer results if one waits until they have regained their weight to take that next step.

So, by all means, take what steps you can to break that stall and continue on down, but at the same time, do look into the DS as a logical next step if that doesn't work. The people over on the DS board (and dsfacts.com, another good resource,) can guide you towards surgeons who have good DS experience - there are quite a few who list it on their websites or OH listing but don't really do it, but just use the listing as a marketing tool to draw in prospective patients and them sell them an RNY.

Good luck,

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

M. Walker
on 12/13/11 5:26 am
DS on 02/12/13
Thank you all *****sponded. I continue to make good choices, take my vitamins, get my protein in and definitely are moving, but with that said there can be adjustments with any journey to weightloss. I believe in my heart that my body is just spent, but that is my opinion. But, however, thanks to all the positive feedback, help and guidance.

(deactivated member)
on 12/13/11 5:54 am - Woodbridge, VA
Just another voice in the choir agreeing that if you're going to revise, it makes WAY more sense to revise to a DS, not RNY.

You may have a metabolic issue that is too strong to be overcome by a restriction-only procedure, in which case, the extensive malabsorptive component of the DS can really help. Seek out a surgeon who performs the DS (there is a list of surgeons on
www.dsfacts.com) if considering a revision, as a surgeon who does not perform the DS will likely just recommend revising to RNY.
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 65 views