Thinking of VSG

SmallerKenah
on 12/22/11 4:23 am
VSG on 02/14/12
Hello I am in the process now of trying to get the VSG. I go to my first seminar 1/7/2012.
How long was the process for anyone once they went to the seminar and going through insurance?
pixel8me
on 12/22/11 5:00 am
It always varies - but here is my scenario -
Attended seminar -
Submitted paperwork required by the dr office to start the process - 2 days
process paperwork and send off to insurance to see if they even cover the surgery - 1 week
heard back from insurance and their requirements to move forward- less than a week
3 months of nutritional class, required tests, scans etc...
Submit final paperwork to insurance - wait for approval - 3days -- Got surgery date
Surgery was scheduled about a month out - That allowed for me to get in a pre-op class from nutritionist, nurse, meet with my Dr. and do my 2 week pre-op diet

and finally I'm 6 days out from the big day!! It's not an overnight process, some insurance companies require 6 months of classes - so brace yourself!

rainsong
on 12/22/11 7:05 am
Hey there.. I was just sleeved on Monday.

I made the decision to research wls labor day weekend. I called my surgeons office and received a packet of information. I had to fill out a four page questionnaire and medical history forms, get my PCP to write a letter about his approval of me getting wls, see a psychologist, and a nutrionist. I actually met my surgeon at a couple of support group meetings before I saw him one on one. While at the meetings I told him I was interested in the VSG and because most of his patients do the RNY he said he would meet with me individually to talk about the sleeve.

Me being the perfectionist that I am, while I was waiting for my one on one with him I went to another surgeons seminar just to make sure I was happy with the surgeon I picked. I am VERY happy with him!!! I saw him 11/12/11 veterans day. Before I saw him the first time, I had a surgery date. I'm a high school music teacher and this is an extremely busy time of the year for me. I wanted to make sure my surgery was going to be AFTER all the concerts I had to do. Plus my husband was deployed and I knew he would be home the week before my surgery. He's been a huge help.

So back on topic. After my one on one with my surgeon they sent in a packet for insurance approval. Because they got the paperwork the week of Thanksgiving my approval only took 4 business days because they were closed Thanksgiving and black Friday. It felt like 4 YEARS to me but all was well. I probably could have had my surgery a lot sooner but I really wanted to wait until my hubby and Christmas season was over!

I'm four days post op right now and this surgery and recovery has been a BREEZE. I had a really rough C section 6 years ago and this was a walk in the park compared to that. But everyone is different and I have always known I have a super high pain tolerance. I would do this again any day of the week. I wish you all the best!

Tonya

1 month: 25 lbs; 2 month: 19.5 lb; 3 month: 14.6

SmallerKenah
on 12/22/11 11:21 am
VSG on 02/14/12
 Thank you everyone!!!!! I'm so excited. I called my insurance company they told me it normally takes 5 business days for them to approve once they receive the paper work. I don't believe I have a 6 months period before I can have the surgery, if I do the lady didn't say anything about it. 
cpbkmb06
on 12/22/11 1:17 pm
VSG on 02/02/12
you should be able to get on your insurance providers website and see the insurance requirements. I would also call the surgeon's office and see what he/she recommends. My insurance didn't say that I needed a 6 month monitered weight loss program, but the surgeon did. I also had to attend 1 support group and I have to see the bariatric dietician at least once. That is all I had to do, but some people have to have psychiatric evaluations, and sleep studies. Everyone is different. I am hoping to schedule my surgery when I am at the dr. office on Wednesday. Good luck to you!! I know I am VERY excited about the new chapter that lies ahead :)
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 71 views