fudge

lreef1t
on 12/24/11 3:04 am
Ok guys I am 5 1/2 weeks out and would just love to have a small tiny bite of fudge,  so would that like do some major damage?  what do you guys think?
ruggie
on 12/24/11 3:12 am - Sacramento, CA
I know a bunch of other people will say "sure, it won't hurt at this point, it's the holidays, go ahead and indulge yourself".

Well, I'm going to say don't do it.

I don't know anything about you, I have no idea what your potential for success is - are you destined to lose 50% extra body weight, 75%?  100%?  How dedicated are you to your whole nutritional plan and exercise plan?

Here's reasons why I'm a party-pooper:

1)  You gotta resist eating crap (e.g., fudge, etc) for many, many months.  If you start now at a month out, it can become a slippery slope.  Really, this is the main reason for me. I know the day I step foot in a frozen yogurt shop it's all over ...

2)  You're still healing a bit, and need to keep cramming in protein.

3)  Fudge is the complete opposite of what to eat (all simple carbs and fat).  Also, calorie dense.

4)  Fudge is pretty much guaranteed to be a slider food - you won't get good restriction with this, and probably could eat a bunch.

So, basically, I don't say no because it's unhealthy to your stomach, I say no because starting to eat candy and sweets puts you on the slippery slope back to not achieving your goal of losing all your excess body weight.

Call me Scrooge, it's ok.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

Tirza T.
on 12/24/11 3:44 am
VSG on 01/17/12
Rugggie, this is a great post and something I  want to copy as a reminder. This is excellent advice and I hope I can adhere to it once I have my sleeve in January. I have difficulty staying away from any kind of food or sweet. If I didn't, I wouldn't be in this unhealthy predicament I am currently find myself in. But I want to lose 100% of my extra body weight. I need to lose 180 pounds which is in and of  itself an overweight woman. Awesome response...I am definitely be keeping this advice (although not necessarily meant for me) to heart.
ruggie
on 12/24/11 3:48 am - Sacramento, CA
Hey thanks, but I've actually stolen it from others on this board.  It pretty much boils down to:

The average VSG patient loses 70% of their excess weight.

There are people on here that have lost 100%.  I do what they do.

I MIGHT entertain having a sweet, but ONLY after I hit maintainence.

(deactivated member)
on 12/24/11 4:05 am
Ruggie - you so totally hit it on the nail head! You Rock!
pixel8me
on 12/24/11 4:44 am
Ruggie! I love everything you have to say on here - you cut around the BS and just tell it like it is :)

ruggie
on 12/24/11 4:58 am - Sacramento, CA
Well, I used to BS myself a lot.

I'd be the person saying, "oh, a little won't hurt me".  Four days later, I'd eat half a pound of fudge.  So, I stopped BS myself, and just try to spread it around.

(deactivated member)
on 12/24/11 5:46 am
My job here is done.  :)  This board is in great hands.
Crunchy As Can Be
on 12/26/11 2:49 am - NY
Elina, this made me smile!

~~Emily~~

Mike B.
on 12/24/11 5:52 am
GREAT ADVICE Ruggie, I couldn't have said it better. I hope this person takes your advice and stays clear away from the sweets. We all have to keep in the back of our mind what was it that got us to this point in our lives.

HW:280       SW:270       OLD GW:190       NEW GW: 180       CW: 174

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 150 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 424 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 444 views