New Protein source

beckysuea
on 12/30/11 12:48 am
While shopping at Ralphs yesterday I was getting some milk and I noticed this small 11 oz container of milk that said 20 grams of protein so I looked more closely.

It is called Rockin Refuel and it is protein fortified lowfat chocolate milk.  I bought it and it tastes just like chocolate milk - not the dreaded protein smell or taste.   It cost me $1.29 per bottle.   I finally found something that I will drink.   Supposedly it comes in Vanilla and Strawberry but that is okay as I don't drink those anyway.

The milk is made by Shamrock Farms.    If you are in California the website says you can buy it at Vons, Ralphs, Food 4 Less and Albertsons.  

Deborahdb
on 12/30/11 1:00 am - TX
 Thanks ,I need new ways to get my protien in!

MILLERSDAUGHTER
on 12/30/11 1:24 am - Lewisport, KY
VSG on 04/07/11 with

Here's the nut info.  For me this is not worth it.  8 oz of this drink is 1.5 servings which means each serving has 32 g of carbs (48 g per bottle and 300 calories).  That one 8 oz bottle has more than my daily allowance for carbs and almost 40% of my calorie allowance but less than a third of the protein I need a day.

This drink is geared toward body builders that don't need to watch their carbs so much because they are working out hours and hours a day or running miles and miles.  If you are not working out a ton, be cautious of using these products.

Never, never, never give up!
...though she be but little, she is FIERCE...
A Midsummer Night's Dream
MILLERSDAUGHTER
on 12/30/11 1:25 am - Lewisport, KY
VSG on 04/07/11 with

Or the shelf stable 11 oz version: 
     Never, never, never give up!
...though she be but little, she is FIERCE...
A Midsummer Night's Dream
ruggie
on 12/30/11 3:03 am - Sacramento, CA
No wonder it tastes good - everything's good when it's full of sugar!

Mmm....sugar......

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

abrown8434
on 12/30/11 10:10 am - VA
WHOA!!!!!!!!!!! 

HW: 550+     SW: 502      CW: 342.4  SDt: 9/20/11

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."--
Philippians 4:13, KJV

No More Spanx
on 12/30/11 1:48 am - Rock Island, IL
Dang!  Unfortunately, this would blow my 30g - 40g  allowance for carbs for the whole day.  Also, packing 40g of sugar may end up as a trigger food for me.  Whenever I start eating/drinking anything that has too much sugar, I start to crave it.  I am afraid it will not work for my program, but thank you so much for the suggestion!

Ann
HT: 5'3"    HW: 235   Starting  BMI: 41.6     CW: 128  Current     BMI: 22.6                    

buttercupnectar
on 12/30/11 2:19 am
Thanks Millersdaughter for the NUT info.  280 calories? 4g of fat?  and then all those carbs.  No way for me.  Although men burn carbs better than women so it may be a good alternative for a man if he keeps the rest of his carbs down for the day.

VegasLAbound
on 12/30/11 2:51 am - Cleveland, OH
I wouldn't try this not only because of the carbs but also because there are different types of protein and whey protein is specified for most WLS diets.

hollykim
on 12/30/11 6:08 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
the 3rd and 4th ingredients are fructose then sucrose...also know as pure sugar. Whey concentrate is listed 5th which means there is less whey protein in it than there is milk which is listed 1st.

I wouldn't use it.

When reading labels,you can't just look at the protein amount. You have to look at all the stats compared to each other and you have to look at the ingredients list too. Not all proteins are created equal.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 78 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 291 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 343 views