Extra Skin

cpbkmb06
on 1/2/12 8:01 am
VSG on 02/02/12
I am wondering if everyone has "extra" skin after their weight loss? i have noticed some people have tight skin and some have a little extra, others have had plastic surgery. I lost about 32 lbs. last year and didn't have any extra, but once I am sleeved I am hoping to lose about 125. The extra skin kind of scares me as plastic surgery is NOT in the budget. Feedback on this would be appreciated!

P.S. I am not going to let extra skin deter me from this surgery. My health is much more important, just curious is all!
Rmoneygirl
on 1/2/12 8:06 am - OH
I'm not going to lie the skin is faster then i am....Ive been working at the gym to attempt to tone.  WHile I see the benifit the skin is still a little flappy.  Not sure I'll ever attempt a sleeveless shirt because of my bat wings or a swim suit w/o a skirt cause of the exess around my inner thigh.    I'm almost 3 months out and down 60lbs though.  May even out once I stop loosing so rapidly

(deactivated member)
on 1/2/12 8:12 am
It's common but depends on genetic factors, length of time obese, etc.

I'm figuring I will have to get a loan to remove my kangaroo pouch its like a flat tire around the front of my tummy.

I have no skin issues on my back. My upper thighs will probably be my worst enemy. I won't know until I hit goal as the thighs are the last thing on me to lose weight. But they are already flabby.

It's a crap shoot. Some don't have to deal with it.
BuckeyeGirl
on 1/2/12 8:14 am - TN

Everyone is different, so it is hard to know until you get there.

I've lost about 130 lbs so far and I have extra skin. I didn't really notice it so much until the last 15-20 lbs. It doesn't bother me too much just yet, but it is kind of annoying. On the other hand, I saw a post on here a few days ago from a woman who has lost around 70 lbs, I think, and she is experiencing pain from her extra skin. So, like I said, experiences vary greatly.

Even though I have the extra skin, I'd take it over the fat any day!

Lindsey

Jamie_45
on 1/2/12 8:17 am - CA
VSG on 01/09/12
I'm with you, definitely no money in the budget for plastics!  I work on drinking water first thing in the am and keep my skin hydrated, however, I do expect loose thighs, face and batwings.  I figure I can wear swim pants from speedo and wear spanx if necessary.  Whatever though, we will be much healthier and not worrying about the big stuff any longer.

Pkrplyr777
on 1/2/12 8:43 am - CT

I'm 50+ so the skin "snapping back" ain't going to happen LOL.

I have a kangaroo pouch that hides well, Batwings that also hide well in winter, and inner thighs that now enlighten me to the term "saddle bags".

Maybe I'll get PS someday, we'll see. But for now, I'm working with a trainer to bulk up and tone up. I figure that will give me the best shot at avoiding the PS.

In the meanwhile, it feels GREAT to be skinny!
donna

HW/233 *  SW/212 * CW/133 *GW/132 * 100 Pounds of FAT gone FOREVER!

Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple~Dr.Suess            
bunnymom
on 1/2/12 9:11 am
One poster over on the maintenance thread is 2.5 years out. She wrote the other day that she is still losing, even this far out. She said that she thought she had baggy skin but with the latest weight loss and dropping her BMI down below 20, she realizes some of the baggy skin still had fat in it. She said the floppiness is definitely going away with the extra fat loss. Well, at least that gave me some hope that some of the bagginess will go away over time and with more weight loss.
Bunnymom            
mama2girls
on 1/2/12 9:27 am
Mine is horrible and I still have some to lose it's especially bad on my tummy and arms Iwill probably have some on my back too cuz I have big rolls back there I cover it pretty good but will defiantly need at least a tummy tuck

HW:409  SW:328 CW:185-190 GW: 190, lowest wt:165;

GS Surgery date 8/9/11

Body by Sauceda born 12/9/16

"I'm working on myself, for myself, by myself"

Jenny C.
on 1/2/12 10:33 am
I'm 51, and what I'm noticing is that the places that have a little extra are where I had stretch marks.  Any area without stretch marks looks like I was never obese...I have good skin genes.  I have some extra in the belly and upper thighs, but that's about it.  PS is really not what I'm gonna do, and I'll be just fine without it.

sleevegirl
on 1/2/12 10:46 am - Austin, TX
I spent 33 years of my life overweight (and the vast majority obese). My highest weight was 375. I've lost 111. I have MAJOR loose skin. It's still got fat in it, but it's floppy. It's hid in clothes, but it is what it is. I'm told it will draw up a little bit, but this is the lot I drew.

I'll likely need surgery. I'll figure out how to pay for it later, but I'd much rather have floppy (and hopefully one day empty!) skin than all that fat.

I try not to think about what it's going to look like in another 90 pounds.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 268 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 328 views