Need some answers quick about Mexico Doctors

Mary E.
on 1/3/12 10:34 am - SD
VSG on 03/03/12 with
Please Help.  I am torn between Dr Ortiz and Dr Alverez in Mexico. I need to know if there is any of you who have had your surgeries done from either Dr.  Please I want the pros and cons of both. I have done research and have not come up with much for either.

Also I already suffer from acid reflux will it be better or worse afer the VSG surgery.

Please help me I am so torn and confused on where to go and what to do.

Thanks for all your help
Marie B.
on 1/3/12 10:41 am - Pitman, NJ
VSG on 09/20/10 with
 I used Dr. Alvarez.  Loved him.  You can see the whole scoop on my blog page.  I have no regrets.
Highest weight ever recorded: 224lbs.    Surgery weight: 194 lbs.
Goal range:  130-135 lbs.
  Lowest:119.7   Current weight 142lbs Height: 5' 2" almost

MILLERSDAUGHTER
on 1/3/12 10:50 am - Lewisport, KY
VSG on 04/07/11 with

Dr. Alvarez did my surgery and I couldn't be happier. 

I didn't have any cons from my experience.  The closest thing to a con that I had was that the hospital looked old and outdated.  However, the place was immaculate and the equipment was the same brand and models as in the best US hospitals (I'm a nurse--I know this stuff).

I didn't consider Dr. Ortiz.  I had the decision narrowed down to Dr. Alvarez or Dr. Ascevez.  The decision was very hard because they were both such great doctors.  Even the cost was close.  Let me give a peice of advice on how I made my choice (I'm very anal about this kind of thing).  I came up with a list of about 25 questions that I had.  I emailed the list of questions to the patient reps for both docs.  Unfortunately, the answers were very close too, especially on the really important stuff like infection rates, lea****urrances, etc.  So I called and talked to both coordinators.   There were a few things about the answers from Dr. Alvarez that we slightly better for me.  Also, I really clicked with the patient coordinator.  She was great. 

I would recommend calling and talking to the patient coordinators and asking questions.  You can really tell alot about the team that way.

Good luck!

Never, never, never give up!
...though she be but little, she is FIERCE...
A Midsummer Night's Dream
goingforit1
on 1/3/12 11:19 am
VSG on 02/04/12 with
about how much does the sleeve cost if you get it done in Mexico? Also, what part of mexico does dr Alvarez do the surgery in? just curious, thanks
cabcab
on 1/3/12 12:06 pm
VSG on 01/06/11 with
Another Dr. Alvarez patient here.  I loved him and had a great experience!  No complaints at all.  If I had a friend or relative who was wanting to have this done I would recommend him wholeheartedly.  My surgery was $8999.  Best money ever spent!!
    HW: 335.  SW: 318.  CW: 161.0.  Height 5'8.  Age 43.

denebbers
on 1/3/12 12:09 pm - Townsend, MA
VSG on 10/13/11 with
He is in piedras negras. It's safe and clean! I paid 8500 for my surgery. I also had severe acid reflux and it has almost vanished after my vsg. I have never heard of dr Ortiz, I did a crapload of research on dr Alvarez and we were so pleased that we r now going back again for my husbands and sisters vsg. U wil not regret choosing dr Alvarez go to his site www.endobariatric.com you'll find all the info u need there
goingforit1
on 1/3/12 1:10 pm
VSG on 02/04/12 with
Not to hijack your thread but I am now super curious about the Mexico surgery. I contacted the online support chat on Dr. Alvarez's site and got the cost but what airport did you fly into...and how difficult was your flight back just having had the surgery (to the patients that have already used him). It seems even after the round trip flight for my husband and I, I could save a good $5,000 over the U.S. surgeon. That money could go towards plastics when I get to goal weight! lol

I will anxiously await the other responses you get. Thanks for asking this question so I can get the answers too!
scarlet819
on 1/3/12 7:26 pm - LA
VSG on 05/23/11 with
Another Dr. Alvarez patient here! He and his staff were great! I actually went to Mexico by myself and had no problems whatsoever! The trip back wasn't bad. I made sure I had a non-stop flight and that I didn't have any carry on luggage so I wouldn't have to worry about carrying anything.  No regrets here.

Mary E.
on 1/3/12 7:48 pm - SD
VSG on 03/03/12 with
Thank you all for your quick answers and support.  I hope to hear more amazing stories. 
susanpalmer
on 1/3/12 8:46 pm - annapolis county, Canada
Just a note: I had Dr.Kelly in mexico he was great the hospital was great aswell as the nursing staff. I live in Nova Scotia Canada and we now have a 10year waitting list for the VSG and when DR.Kelly found that out he jumped on a plane and did a 2 day seminar in halifax. I got to meet him personally and ask any ?? i had. If you want any info on him let me know. Surgery is $5700.00 . You stay 2 days in hospital and 2 days in a beautiful hotel.

susan palmer    
highest weight 280 current weight 186

Most Active