This may not be right but I am doing it anyways....

LaToya S.
on 1/5/12 3:49 am - Edwardsville, IL
I posted on here yesterday about my food restrictions. I just read a BUNCH of post-op diets for the VSG and cannot find any with the same restrictions as mine. Then I compared my post-op diet to the one for the gastric bypass at my surgeon's office and they are the SAME!
You may wonder why this has me upset---well, I had the VSG because I did not want the restrictions that came with the Gastric Bypass.

I am barely getting in 600 calories a day and never more than 60 grams of protein. I am afraid that I am going to crash and burn soon with all the exercise I am doing.
This is mainly due to sleeve not allowing me to eat much---I am not complaining about that (I have lost a good ammount of weight already).

So- I ranted about all of that to say this...

I am MODIFYING my eating plan. I am not sure as to what exactly but I am going to change thins up. I will still limit my carbs and probably lay off the bread, rice, pasta etc but I will be changing my plan. If I start to gain weight I will go back to my surgeon's plan.

This has all been a little difficult since I cannot tolerate dairy products (so NO---cheese and yogurt etc is not an option). I also cannot tolerate the shakes (Believe me, I have tried, before and after---just does not work).

Wish me luck! I am going to smart about this and not do anything crazy (I promise)

LaToya
www.youtube.com/user/lmscrogg

Twitter: @ScrogginsFamily  

kimbethin
on 1/5/12 3:54 am - CA
Good luck.  I think it's worth a try.  You need to find something that works for you.  I hope you continue to see good results!
putting one foot in front of the other...        
LaToya S.
on 1/5/12 5:31 am - Edwardsville, IL
Thanks!

LaToya

(deactivated member)
on 1/5/12 4:04 am
Make small changes from the plan and try to stick with those small changes for a few days to see what happens.  As an example, only add 1 new food at a time.  Too many changes at 1 time could confuse you on what is and isn't working.

GOOD LUCK!
LaToya S.
on 1/5/12 5:32 am - Edwardsville, IL
Thanks for the tip...I will jsut add 1 new food at a time. I may even just do 1 new food every 3-5 days or even a week and see how that goes.

LaToya

LeahBea
on 1/5/12 4:04 am
VSG on 05/31/11 with
I modified my eating plan after the first month or so after surgery. I made it more strict in some areas and less strict in others. For example: carbs got lowered by a LOT. Fat I stopped freaking out about as much and kinda chilled out about it. I'm still within the ranges most stay within but it was about finding what worked best for me.

Anything within reason is what I've always been told. Just don't go nuts. You should be fine and if you need support we'll still be here.

Leah

LaToya S.
on 1/5/12 5:34 am - Edwardsville, IL
Thanks for sharing this bit of information with me. I think I will be SUPER strict on carbs (especially since I have PCOS).I like the 'anything within reason'.
Thanks so much!

LaToya

sedonagirl67
on 1/5/12 4:13 am - Gilbert, AZ
VSG on 11/16/10 with
I am a big believer that we know what is best for our bodies...more than doctors most of the time!  I would definitely try to get a little higher than 600 calories per day.  My plan was 500- 800 calories per day and now that I am more than a year post op, I think that calorie range is okay while you are losing.

I still have trouble with lots of meat, so I do casseroles and soups a lot.  I do really well with shrimp too (and scallops, lobster, etc.)  I never could do thick type shakes, etc but I can add a scoop of vanilla protein to my hot tea drinks (like pumpkin spice, chai, or even decaf coffee).  It's not thick and I put the scoop in about 24oz of ho****er...so I am drinking it for a couple of hours...sometimes 3!

Remember to keep trying things out as you get further out post op.  I couldn't do peanut butter at 3 or 6 months but 8 months post op I could finally do it.  I do better with chicken and beef now but still prefer it mixed with things or else I can't eat enough of it to make it worth the time.

Good luck to you!  I am not sure what your issues are but from experience, I can tell you to make sure any nausea or pain you may have is under good control with supplements and/or meds your doc prescribes for you.

Take Care!
Laurie  

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."  TH Thompson & John Watson

LaToya S.
on 1/5/12 5:35 am - Edwardsville, IL
Thanks!

LaToya

RubyTues
on 1/5/12 4:25 am - Canada
Our clinic only trained us all for the RNY as well, so I was pleased when my dietician mailed me some specific VSG guidelines. But I gotta tell ya the restrictions are pretty much the same and most are only temporary.. like no raw veggies til 4-6 mos out only tender cuts of meat..
The one thing I noticed was with the VSG you aren't allowed to have as many snacks only one instead of the three.. so if anything I find the diet to have even less calories than the RNY did for me.  My food stages were bumped up much quicker than the RNY stages but other than that most everything else is the same..
The RNY is restrictive along with malabsortion, where we are just restrictive so restriction wise we are pretty darn close, other than fats and sugars aren't a problem for us but we are still expected to not have as many of them just as with the RNY, if optimum weight loss is your goal.
Another thing I noticed was we don't need to take the prenatal vitamins either.. it says a chewable multivitamin and 2 calcium citrates is what we need til our bloodwork shows any different.

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 52 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 52 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 217 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 298 views