daily water intake

Louise1970
on 1/11/12 10:24 am - new haven, CT
 Just was wondering, i am one month out of surgery and having NO problem drinking all the water I need, in fact i can drink a 16 oz bottle of water in like an hour...earlier today folks were saying they weren't able to drink enough, is it just me? It does take me the course of the whole day and when I am not eating I am drinking, but I am able to get 64+ ounces daily no problem....
 I started to wonder if drinking too fast can stretch your sleeve? lol i don't know was just wondering what others experiences were like....

HW:367(5/11)  SW:291(12/11) GW:160     
Month 1: -31 lbs. 

RubyTues
on 1/11/12 10:31 am - Canada
We were told that you are to sip, not gulp.. no drinking too fast or too much as it can stretch your stomach. The whole stretching thing has conflicting information. But I have read a few times that it can indeed stretch to a point. 
There is a lady in my support group and from early on out she was drinking large amounts of water and said she could even chug if she wanted. She said at first she was proud of this thinking it was something most couldn't do, but over time she realized it wasn't something to take pride in that if we wanted we all could gulp in large amounts and just cuz you can doesn't mean you should. She now a year out is upset about her stomach feeling it's stretched she says she knows it's not the same size it was..
Makes you wonder then if the way she drank before was partially to blame.

hollykim
on 1/11/12 10:47 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
I was and still am just like you. I could drink easily and in adequate quantities from the day I passed my leak test.

The part of our stomachs that is removed is the stretchy part. it would be difficult to get enough of anything,esp liquids in there to stretch it,because it is going to get VERY painful before you can stretch it. It doesn't stretch anymores when it is too full it HURTS

Just be glad you are having no trouble and drink on!

(deactivated member)
on 1/11/12 10:49 am
I am 5 weeks out and am able to drink water easily, too. I have NO problems getting in a full 64 oz per day. It does take me from morning to dinner time to do it (10 - 12 hours), but like you I can sip enough water to drink 12 - 16 oz in an hour. I usually do a 16 oz bottle between 8:30 and 10:00 every morning and then another 8 oz before lunch. Then from lunch to dinner I get a whole rest in.
I know I'm not over filling my stomach because I'm taking sips, but I just sip every few minutes. As long as you're not chugging I think you'll be fine.
sunnymicki
on 1/11/12 10:51 am
I think you are fine.  I could always get my liquids down no problem (not actual water alone, has to be crystal light or powerade zero or something like that).  I think it is because my swelling went down easily.  Some people seem to stay swollen for much longer than others.

You don't have to chug to do 16 oz in an hour.  That's less than 1 oz every three minutes.  I wouldn't force it to where it hurts - I do have that point, where you accidentally swallow too much at once, and you really feel it - but other than that, thin liquids should pretty much just run through your stomach.

5'9" All weight lost post-op. Goal weight determined by body composition testing.

edelu
on 1/11/12 11:04 am - los angeles, CA
No it can't and count yourself lucky.  I was getting in 120ozs at less than a week out and my Dr was thrilled.  It just means you have less swelling than others and you won't have to worry about dehydration. Don't chug though, hold off on that for a month or so. 
(deactivated member)
on 1/11/12 11:09 am
 Your tummy will tell you if you are drinking too fast.   Water is the ulitmate slider.  LOL  Still, I would not gulp water down because of the disomfort it can bring but 16 oz in an hour isn't a big deal as long as you don't feel uncomfortable.  
VeronicaJ5
on 1/11/12 11:16 am - Albany, NY
DS on 07/05/16
Yeah I can sorta chug, I was told it's because my swelling has gone down
landdnurse2
on 1/11/12 8:10 pm - Midwest City, OK
I was able to drink 80 ounces about 4 weeks out and I continue to drink that much. I am constantly drinking. I still have restriction with food.

HW 321 (9/08) SW 312 (1/11)  Pre-op 280 (11/1) Surgery 270 (12/11)
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 270 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views